Almond Coconut Jam Thumbprints (Low Carb and Gluten Free)

We have a sickness in this family. I believe it’s known officially as Condiment Hoarding. The main symptom of this disease is the purchasing of new jams, mustards, and various other spreads just because they come in pretty packaging or interesting new flavours. A secondary symptom is the opening of many of these jars, even before others are finished, because those afflicted with this devastating disease can’t help but want to taste the infinite variety of spreads the world has to offer. The most telltale sign that one is afflicted with Condiment Hoarding is a fridge crammed full of jars of all shapes and sizes, most of which are half-full. Ours is such a fridge, I’m afraid to say.

I made these cookies really just as an excuse to open and try my Peach Cardamom Jam. We already had several jars of jam open in the fridge, including a commercial sugar free one. But no, I was itching to open my homemade jam and I needed a really good excuse, more than just wanting something to spread on my low carb bread! Cookies are always a good excuse, n’est-ce pas?

These cookies are incredibly quick and easy to make. They are simply an almond version of the flourless peanut butter cookies that are everywhere on the internet. I came up with them when I first went low carb and was experimenting with various nut butters. They are so wonderful and easy, and you can use almost any nut butter to make a different variation, as I did with my Not-ella (chocolate hazelnut) version. When I was chomping at the bit to open my jam, it occured to me that this cookie would make a good base for a jam thumbprint.

The Results: The cookies themselves were just as good as I remembered them. I love the flavour combination of the almond and coconut, it is reminiscent of an almond joy candy bar (minus the chocolate, obviously). They did make a good base for a jam thumbprint, as they are easy to mold into the desired shape and they don’t rise too much. My only complaint is that the subtle flavours of this jam, the cardamom and vanilla, got rather lost in the final product. Perhaps a one-note jam, such as plain raspberry, would hold it’s own a bit better against the almond and coconut.

Almond Coconut Jam Thumbprints

1 cup almond butter
1/3 cup granulated erythritol – if you like your cookies very sweet, you can put up
to 2/3 cup in. Or add a little stevia for extra sweetness
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 large egg
approx. 3 tbsp of any flavour sugar-free jam

Preheat oven to 325F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, mix together almond butter, erythritol, coconut and egg. Mix well until it starts to come together and thicken.

Roll a tablespoon of dough between palms, and then flatten to about 1/2 inch thick. Create a circular indentation with thumb or finger in the middle of each disk. Repeat with all of the dough.

Spoon approx. 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of jam into each cookie. Do not overfill or jam will melt during baking and run out of the cookie.

Bake 12-15 minutes or until cookie is set and lightly browned. Cool completely on pan.

Comments

1. ravienomnoms says:

Wow, what a perfect combination of flavors. This looks really good!!

2. Nicole@ The Dirty Oven says:

I am loving all of your gluten free baked goods. Just found out that I am some what sensitive to gluten so I am starting to look at alternatives to flour. Thanks for sharing.

3. Ohhhh, I haven't had Thumbprints forever. They look so good.

healthy and delicious

5. A Little Yumminess says:

Somehow thumbprint cookies remind me of my childhood…I dont why I stopped eating them!

6. BakingWithoutaBox says:

Condiment hoarding. Love it!
    Beautiful cookies!

7. Lilimonster says:

We condiment hoard as well, but now I have a way to cut it down! Thumbprint cookies are so much fun.

8. I have the same affliction. I can't go to a market without buying honey or jam. I currently have 4 different jars of honey open.

9. The Enchanted Cook says:

I'm with you Carolyn – I'm an ingredient hoarder! These cookies look delicious!!

Best,
    Veronica

10. I love thumb print cookies!

11. Great use for that fantastic jam! I think I could just eat it straight from the jar, but with the almond cookies…yum!

12. Funny – I made jam buns yesterday that are like the sweet roll version of a thumbprint. Recipe coming to Yumbo soon… but won't be nearly as healthful as these!

13. jana@cherryteacakes.com says:

mmm. the almond coconut does sound good. lovely cookies!

14. mmmmmmmmmmmm…these look so good! I LOVE coconut & we too are a condiment hoarding house!

15. Winelady Cooks says:

Thumbprint cookies are a favorite in our family. Your apricot coconut cookies sound so delicious. I'm starting to gather recipes for my holiday cookie exchange and this is definitely "in".

Thanks for sharing.

Joanne

16. 5 Star Foodie says:

These are scrumptious with almond butter and coconut!

17. Heh. We "condiment hoard," too! A visitor to my house once remarked that we had "condimentia" in our pantry. ;)

18. Cheesecake.com says:

Condiment Hoarding! LOL. Does that make the refrigerator or the grocer the enabler? — We have been looking at glut free recipies and it looks like you've got a good one, although this time of year we may consider going with the sugar/spice mix and a pumpkin flavor. Thanks for well written post.

The Cheesecake Folks at
    Cheesecake.com

19. Oh, these sound so good! I love the idea of a coconut almond base for a thumbprint cookie, but I've never heard of or worked with granulated erythritol. Could I just use granulated white sugar or brown sugar?

20. Hi Jen. You absolutely can sub in sugar (probably just white, granulated) for the erythritol. Before going low carb, I made a full-sugar version of these with peanut butter…just 1 cup PB, half cup sugar, 1 egg. Rest of the instructions are the same!

I still want to try that peach cardamom jam. Every time I think of it I say that. The cookies look so, so good.

22. Dawn…"condimentia" is absolutely brilliant!

23. Catherine H. says:

These were fine, but not amazing. I used almond butter and sugar-free raspberry jam, so they actually ended up tasting a little like peanut-butter-and-jelly-sandwich bites. The recipe made a large amount, and the cookies themselves were very filling, so these lasted a while, which is nice for a low carb treat. However, they were not especially sweet or dessert-like, and I don't foresee coming back to these for quite some time.