Lemon Cranberry Scones with Lemon Glaze (Low Carb)

I am coming to the realization that I should have been born British. I love British food. Or rather, I love British sweets and baked goods. Who but the Brits could invent something as wonderful as sticky toffee pudding? Or that incredibly light, airy concoction known as Yorkshire pudding? And let’s face it, nobody makes chocolate bars as good as Cadbury’s. But what I really, truly love about English food is tea-time, with all of its attendant pomp and circumstance. How wonderfully civilized it is to stop mid-afternoon so you can sip tea from china cups and munch on delicate little crustless sandwiches. And the scones, oh the scones, with jam and clotted cream! I do realize that the average Brit does not eat this way everyday, if at all, but I push that thought to the edges of my mind. I’d much prefer to live in my fantasy world filled with scones and clotted cream.

I’ve loved scones since I was a little girl. I remember my mum making oatmeal scones for Christmas morning. And for the record, “mum” is not a British affectation on my part, some of us Canucks actually still say and spell it that way! I figured scones were something I’d have to give up for good, once the diabetes came along. The crumbly, slightly dry and yet tender texture of traditional scones is not something easily replicated with nut flours or flax seed meal. Thank goodness for the invention of some reduced-carb flours! I tend not to use these that frequently because I like to make many of my recipes gluten free and accessible to more people. But when it comes to scones, I am not quite willing to compromise.

So for these scones, I broke out the Carbalose Flour. I added some vital wheat gluten to help them bind and rise, and I cut both of these with a little almond flour for texture and flavour. Part of the impetus behind these scones was to see if the powdered erythritol I bought would act like sugar in a glaze/icing, so I knew I wanted a lemony glaze on these. Cranberries, at 6g of carbs per half cup, are a wonderful low carb addition to baked goods. And they are perfect for making scones as they don’t squish easily when kneading or cutting the dough. I love tart/sweet flavours, so I thought that lemon and cranberries would be a good combination.

Photobucket

The Results: I am immensely pleased with these. The texture is the right combination of dry and crumbly while also being tender and holding together. The lemon glaze worked out exactly as I’d hoped, with the powdered erythritol playing the part of sugar perfectly. I love the tart little burst of cranberries and the light taste of the lemon zest in the scones themselves. I’ve already eaten two, because scones are never better than on the day that they are made. I would even go so far as to wager that no one would know these were low carb, if I didn’t tell them.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I will tell you that my kids did not take to them. This, however, may actually be the best endorsement. At the ages of six and four, my older two kids are in that funny stage where any taste or texture that is unfamiliar is met with immediate suspicion. They didn’t like the traditional scones I made for Christmas last year, nor the lovely carrot cake I made for a friend’s birthay, nor even the awesome full-carb apple crisp I made a few weeks ago. That apple crisp was a delight of buttery, brown-sugary goodness, and my husband was perfectly happy to have the whole thing to himself. So if my kids don’t like something, it’s a pretty safe bet that it’s actually really quite good.

Lemon Cranberry Scones with Lemon Glaze

Scones:
1 1/3 cup carbalose flour
1/3 cup high gluten flour (vital wheat gluten)
1/3 cup almond flour/meal
2 tbsp granulated erythritol
1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
5 tbsp butter, chilled and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
1 tsp lemon zest
1/2 cup fresh cranberries, cut in half
1 cup heavy cream

Glaze:
Juice from half a lemon
3 tbsp powdered erythritol

For the scones, preheat oven to 425F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, erythritol, baking powder and salt to combine. Scatter butter and lemon zest evenly over top of flour mixture. With a pastry cutter or two knives, cut in butter and lemon zest until mixture resembles coarse meal with a few larger butter lumps.

Stir in cranberries. Stir in cream until a dough begins to form, about 30 seconds.

Turn out dough and any floury bits onto a lightly floured surface. Knead a few times until it forms a rough, sticky ball. Do not overhandle.

Shape into a rectangle and cut into 6 even squares, then cut squares diagonally to create 12 triangles. Place on prepared baking sheet and bake until tops are light golden, about 15 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.

For the glaze, in a small bowl mix together lemon juice and powdered erythritol. Using the tip of a spoon, drizzle lightly over cooled scones. Let sit for 10 minutes to allow glaze to dry.

Serves 12. Each scone has a total of 12.9g of carbs, but only 4.5g of carbs if you subtract for erythritol and fiber.

Comments

1. The scones look so yummy!!! My fave food this time of year- especially with cranberries!!

Hahahah! Exactly! If the kids don't like it's for sure a hit. My kids scowl, my husband and I nom it down. If they like AND we like it- it's a masterpiece in my eyes.

I'll have to look up the flours you used. Is there any particular reason you used them? I ask because I retweet almost all your posts. They're just so helpful for so many!

2. Ok I skipped 1 paragraph, I am so sorry!! I see why now! My babies rattling a soda can in my face while I am trying to read and I skipped over it somehow!!!

lots of healthy additions

4. Sugar Free Low Carb says:

I absolutely love scones. I can't wait to try this. Looks terrific!

5. I love scones, there is a cafeteria in my town makes the best scones ever, I go there every Sunday afternoon just to enjoy my Sunday blueberry scone :) and a cup of decaff latte

6. I love scones too, and these look lovely :)

7. Fantastic looking scones, I'm impressed of how you converted this to your needs. Love the pictures as well :o)

8. whatsfordinneracrossstatelines says:

I wish I was English just so I could stop every afternoon and take tea time! But I'd settle for some scones, these sound so good, I like how they are low carb.
    -Gina-

9. The Cooking Photographer says:

Your scones are beautiful.

Laura

10. Sprinkled with Flour says:

I love that you made these healthier:) The lemon and cranberry sound delicious together!

11. ravienomnoms says:

That scone looks delicious! Wow, what a great combination of flavors

12. sara @ CaffeIna says:

You just made me realize I haven't made scones in a while and now i'm totally craving! I love the lemon-lemon combo!

13. blackbookkitchendiaries says:

this looks really pretty:) i guess you and i have a lot in common with the whole british food too. i love cadbury chocolates too and i cant get enough of those puddings!!

14. They look so delicate! Very lovely and even healthy to boot!

15. Belinda @zomppa says:

We still have afternoon tea at my house! And these would be PERFECT!

16. perfect delicious scones!

17. Those look fantastic and so delicious!

18. Yummm, lovely site..full of delicious treats, the scones looks delicious.

19. Oh Carolyn, these are just beautiful. Especially to me, since I have a dirty secret-I can't make scones. I don't why. They always turn out glutinous! I would love some of yours though;) Especially since I am exhausted from that move-it was emotionally unhealthy (smile).
    p.s. neat trick with the vital wheat gluten instead of high carb wheat flour.

20. These flavors sound great together, and I love the lemony glaze. I have always had bad luck making scones…they always seem to turn into little bricks. Need to get back in the kitchen and try again…

21. A SPICY PERSPECTIVE says:

Maybe I should have been born British too–scones are one of my favorites! These looks lovely, and so healthy!?!

22. Shelly Borrell says:

I love scones, mostly because they're not too sweet. And the consistency of these is exactly how I like mine. I like the ingredients and have a question, mostly because my stomach ailments haven't been diagnosed yet. ;) Denial :) Until then, can sugar be substituted for the erythritol? Sorry for my ignorance. :( I am walking distance from a Mother's Market, so I can buy it and probably will, I just decided. Thanks, Shelly

23. Oh, I think these look just lovely! I'm an absolute sucker for scones, but it seems like for some reason men and kids just don't get as excited about scones us girls do. I don't quite understand it, because to me scones are like biscuits and cookies, and men and kids love biscuits and cookies, so they oughta love scones too right? In the end I guess it's alright since it just leaves more scones for me.

Wow, these look fantastic. I've still not gotten scone creation down pat, but I'm working on it. I love the idea of lemon and cranberry together. Thanks for sharing your creation.

25. Shelly Borrell says:

Thanks for your reply Carolyn!!!

Shelly :)

26. dining room tables says:

I like that you used lemon for this glaze. Something different and also new. This really looks delicious.

27. Made these for NY Day breakfast: added maple flavouring and walnut crumbs rather than lemon/cranberry. Delicious, very tender! Love these.

28. How is high gluten flour gluten free? Is there something I don’t know about that? I’m very curious because I’d love to try these!

• These aren’t gluten-free. The title only says low carb. But you could take one of my other almond flour scones and make it with the same flavours.