Cinnamon Chipotle Brownies (Low Carb and Gluten Free)

Yum

Food trends are an interesting thing to watch, how a flavour or a particular pairing can become all the rage and be everywhere you turn, and then be passe by year’s end. Not being all that trendy myself, I am usually a few years behind. The popularity of bacon in sweet foods still has me squirming slightly, as I am not quite ready to accept bacon as a legitimate presence at the dessert table. I’ve tried it in chocolate, but I am just not quite sold. I don’t dare dismiss it entirely, however, as I’ve been known to capitulate on these sorts of things. Just as I did with another pairing that horrified me at first: chocolate and chili. Now I can’t seem to get enough of it.

I first tasted chocolate and chili together about ten years ago, before it became a real trend. It was up in Bar Harbor, ME, at a little burrito joint that my sister-in-law loved. The only sweets available were Jalapeno Brownies, and I wasn’t about to pass up dessert just because someone had the gall to put jalapenos in it. I remember being surprised and delighted by the combination of sweet followed by a kick of heat. Within a few years, it had become a full-on trend and chocolate bars with chili were everywhere; my local Trader Joe’s carried at least three different kinds. But by the very next year, it seemed to have fallen out of favour, and I could no longer find them so readily. I, however, have stayed in love with the pairing and have long been planning to make a chili-flavoured brownie.

In one of my many internet searches, I came across a few recipes for brownies flavoured with cinnamon chipotle and I knew I needed to try to create a low carb version. I actually tried it during the fall, with a coconut flour brownie recipe that was an utter failure. And by that, I don’t mean that they weren’t very good, I mean that they weren’t ANY good. Tossed the whole lot of them. But I wasn’t about to give up. I came across an almond flour brownie recipe on the Bob’s Red Mill site the other day and I thought it might be a good candidate for my second attempt.

The Results: Chipotle is made for chocolate, with its smoky intensity. You only taste sweet at first, like a regular brownie, but then you begin to feel that slow burn of heat. It’s a winning combination. The cinnamon doesn’t stand out much but it complements both the chocolate and the chipotle, so I think something would be missing if it wasn’t there. The texture of these brownies is more cakey than I’d hoped, but it’s still really, really good. I don’t know if erythritol allows for truly fudgey brownies, but I am on a mission to find out and will be sure to let you all know if I do. But I’d make these brownies again just as they were, I really enjoyed every bite.

Cinnamon Chipotle Brownies – adapted from Bob’s Red Mill

1/2 cup almond flour
2 tbsp corn or arrowroot starch
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp chipotle powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 eggs
1/4 cup granulated erythritol
2 tsp heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350F and grease an 8×8 inch baking pan.

In a small bowl, whisk together almond flour, cinnamon, chipotle, baking powder and salt.

Combine butter and cocoa powder in a medium bowl and stir until thoroughly combined. Add eggs, erythritol, cream and vanilla, and beat until smooth.

Add almond flour mixture and stir until thoroughly combined.

Spread batter evenly in prepared pan and top with walnuts. Bake 18-24 minutes or until edges are browned and top is firm to the touch. Let cool in pan, then cut into squares.

Serves 16. Each brownie has a total of 6.4g of carbs, but only 3.4g if you subtract erythritol.

Comments

1. Pretend Chef says

I am not and have never been a trendsetter or one to follow trends. "When the mood strikes" kinda girl. I have yet to try anything with chocolate and chili. I have however been all about the bacon in sweets, although, I'm not so sure about the bacon cookies I've recently sampled. These brownies sound so delicious! My achilles heel… the pan would be gone!

2. Lizzy says

Bacon…um, no
    Chipolte…mmmmm, yes!

Your brownies look fantastic…and that smokey heat must taste wonderful! Thanks for the idea :)

3. Stephanie says

You know, I have to say, I haven't tried chocolate with spicy yet. But, it always sounds sooo interesting and posh. LOL. I do have actual chipotle peppers laying in my fridge, though…but perhaps whole chunks of it would be a tad too much. LOL

4. Three-Cookies says

Sounds delicious, choc and chilli is a great combination. The recipe has baking powder, which I guess would make the brownie little lighter, so we can eat twice as much:)

5. Kristen says

Living so close to the Mexican border, I have seen chocolate mixed with chiles often. It's nothing new to that cuisine. I am with you on the bacon in sweets…I am not tempted to even try it.

6. Cajun Chef Ryan says

Wow, chipotle powder, I have never used that, but have used the peppers. I bet this has a nice hot and sweet kick to it!

Caliente!

7. Catherine H. says

"I wasn't about to pass up dessert just because someone had the gall to put jalapeños in it." Too funny. My attitude exactly.

I found your blog through Jennifer Eloff's, and I'm so glad I did! I look forward to trying these (never tried chocolate and chili together before either.)

8. blackbookkitchendiaries says

this sounds really exciting :) and your pictures looks so pretty. thank you for sharing this with us.

9. UrMomCooks says

Yum – these sound awesome! I am new to this flavor combo, but I luv it – tried it first in cayenne-spiked chocolate ice cream… These look absolutely delicious!!! (and luv the use of almond flour too!)

10. Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Having says

I've never tried chocolate and chili together, I missed the whole trend! I have tried caramel popcorn with cayenne and love the sweet and hot together, so I think I'd love this!

11. Victoria says

I too love chocolate and chili together :) Great combo! Have you ever made black bean brownies? I've had them once before and they were really great, but I think it depends on which recipe you use…

12. Elisabeth says

Very unusual brownies-Love the chipotle spice, and the chocolate goodness mixed together. Yumm!…could you pass me a brownie please?

13. Magic of Spice says

I love a little bit of spice in sweets…but since I do not eat meat I am right there with you and the bacon :) These sound delicious :)

14. Sommer J says

I bet it's just as delicious as it looks. I love spicy chocolate bars, it's a great combination. And cinnamon? It's my fave spice ever!

15. Lisa says

Oh yum, these sound fantastic. I love things with a spicy kick to them and I've always heard a lot about how chocolate and chipotle are the perfect match. I'm starting a new linky on my blog called "Sweets for a Saturday," and I'd like to invite you to stop by tomorrow and link these up.

16. Mrs K says

These look fantastic and I am all game to try chocolate with chipotle powder.It sounds like such a connoisseur thing;-)

17. Steph says

These sound great! I've tried chocolate and chili together once before and wasu surprised at how much the chili intensifies that chocoalte flavor. Slap a scoop of ice cream on this and I would be in heaven!

18. BakingWithoutABox says

I love hot + sweet! Those jalapeno chocolates at the burrito place sound awesome. But even better are your chipotle brownies. And with cinnamon for that perfect kick with the sizzle.

19. Kim - Liv Life says

Not being a bacon fan, bacon will never be on my dessert table!! Liv tried it last year at the fair covered in chocolate and was in favor. Not me!
    The chili though is a different deal! Yep, I am all over that one!
    Love the chipotle with the chocolate. I'm sure to be a fan of these!

20. Tiffany says

Chipotle IS made for chocolate! I couldn't get enough of the combo when I was in Mexico! These brownies bring me right back to that trip!

21. Foodiva says

Chocolate and chili have coexisted for centuries, the Mayans used to sprinkle chili powder on mugs of hot, melted cacao. I've used these ingredients together in cookies and they were a big hit! Looks like the trend is here to stay, and your wonderful brownies have certainly reinforced that.

22. Amy Bakes Everything says

I developed a chocolate-chili cake for a tex-mex restaurant about 10 years ago – it absolutely flopped with the customers! No one would even consider eating a cake with chili peppers in it! These brownies look killer, I am dying over the super-dark color!

23. Joanne says

Chocolate alone usually doesn't really do it for me, but by spicing it up with some chili (pun oh so intended)…I could become addicted to it. These look delicious!

24. Chef Dennis says

I have never thought of chipotle that way….now you have me thinking I should! They do look delicious and I am intrigued by the flavors!
    Cheers
    Dennis

25. Ang says

I adore spicy chocolate. I know I would love these brownies! I don't think I have ever used chipotle powder though.

26. MegSmith says

I am so with you on bacon in chocolate. If I ate meat it would certainly not be one of things I indulged in, however, sea salt and chocolate and chili and chocolate are two things I am 100% in love with! Those brownies look so moist and flavorful, I bet the chipotle sends them over the top.

27. Evan @swEEts says

I really like the chocolate chili combination.. I made some cookies a little while back using one of the bars of chocolate that my mom actually found at Trader Joes! I'm sure your brownies were fantastic.. hope you're having a good weekend :)

28. Lindsey says

I love the chipotle hidden in the chocolate. And I love a cakey brownie, so these look like they were made for me!

29. laura says

holy jalapeno! these sound delish. i saved it immediately to my online cookbook (cookmarked.com). i'm gona try to veganize them.

30. Terra says

I love this recipe, because of the use of almond flour, and chipotle. This is unique, and beautiful!
    Take care,
    Terra

31. Rennie says

I’ve made these twice and love them- this is one of my favorite chocolate recipes! The second time, I noticed that cornstarch is listed in ingredients but not used in the recipe. I omitted it, but I’m wondering what purpose it serves and how it affects the final product?