Vegetable Ricotta Frittatas (Low Carb and Gluten Free)

What do low carb dieters and the boy scouts have in common? Sounds like the beginning of a bad joke, I realize, but I do actually have a point. If there is one thing I have learned in my year as a diabetic, it’s that I must keep that old boy scout motto, “be prepared”, firmly in the front of my mind. As a runner with a fast metabolism, I am often hungry, especially upon first waking up. And if I am not prepared with easy meals and snacks that I can grab at a moment’s notice, I am that much more likely to covet my children’s toast or cereal. And that much more likely to give in to my cravings.

I usually like to fix myself some eggs in the morning, and have become quite adept at whipping up a quick omelet. But with three kids, I often find myself rushing out the door before I’ve had a chance to eat properly. And that leads to eating something I shouldn’t. I also made it one of my goals for the year to work more vegetables into my day, starting at breakfast. I love fruit, but even an apple or a banana can send my glucose levels a bit high. So I decided I need to have some ready-made breakfasts that were full of protein and vegetables. Individual frittatas were just the thing, full of eggs and cheese and whatever vegetables my little heart desired.

Frittatas are incredibly easy to throw together, and extremely versatile. I’ve been known to throw any number of things into one, including some leftover Indian Roasted Eggplant. This time, I had some ricotta I needed to use up, so I beat it into the batter along with the eggs. I added some lightly steamed, chopped broccoli, some onion and some red pepper, along with some grated cheddar cheese. I used my jumbo 6-muffin pan for these, because I knew I’d need to eat two at a time if I made them in a regular 12-muffin pan. Either way, I had 6 breakfasts ready to go in one shot.

The Results: These were such a great way to start my morning all week. Flavourful and healthy, they kept me satisfied and much more on track with my glucose levels. They were a little difficult to get out of the muffin tin, but once again, I blame my pan. I greased it very well, but my pans are quite old and seem to be really losing their non-stick quality. I plan to get some silicone molds very soon to remedy this issue, because the aftermath of sticky metal pans is really quite a mess! I lose some of my food to the pan and the clean-up is just awful. These were worth it, though. They actually had the rest of my family coveting MY food for once, but I didn’t share. Not a single bite.

Vegetable Ricotta Frittatas

This recipe has been included in our cookbook, Low-Carbing Among Friends, Vol. 1. It is available for purchase at AmongFriends.us or at Amazon.com.

Serves 6. Each serving has a total of 5.3g of carbs.

Comments

1. Simple and healthy breakfast. Never tried ricotta with eggs, looks delicious

2. I had the same problem with my pan..it was hard to take it out..but push here and there:)) and they came out!:)
    This is amazing breakfast, and so good for anybody! yours look just stunning..I am getting hungry:))

3. These are so cute :)! I bet the ricotta makes them especially scrumptious ;)!

4. Kim - Liv Life says:

I have only had one try at these, and they were not successful at all. Yours look SO much better! I think I may need to try again. I've been working in more veggies too, in the evening is my super snack time, while I'm making dinner. I've started with broccoli and hummus, it's been working!
    I'm going to give these little guys a try too, it will be nice to "have on hand"

5. I highly recommend the silicon liners. One of my Christmas pressies this year was a mini-muffin tin with 24 silicon liners, and it's really sparked my creativity. Your frittatas look great (and I love ricotta with eggs!).

Must mention that I made your chipotle brownies today, and the whole family liked them. I had to grind my own chipotle powder so ended up with a bit less, but there was still just enough heat to be interesting without making the kids run screaming. Thanks for sharing your great ideas!

6. Brilliant, Carolyn!!!! These mini fritattas look delicious…I'd love to have a batch in my fridge waiting for breakfast :)

7. They sound really delicious :) and they look so colorful and nice.. :) such breakfast really should brighten the whole day :)

8. Hi Carolyn: Great site! I'm often concerned about being predisposed to diabetes as it runs rampant in my family. Although I test for it every year and so far no diagnosis, it is always on my mind. I'm glad to have found your site.

I luv the idea and what you've done with these vegetable ricotta frittatas.

9. Happy Cooking says:

They look delicious, I have to give them a try sometimes!

10. Angela@RecipesFromMyMom says:

These would be great for me to make in advance for my daughter. She get's tired of cold cereal but I don't always have time to make something hot for her before she heads to high school.

11. Michael @theflavourjunkie says:

Yum! I'd love to nosh on these for breakfast tomorrow. They look fantastic, Carolyn! Fluffy, moist and loaded with goodies!

12. These sound great Carolyn! I love the ricotta! And I actually eat breakfast for dinner, so I can see making these tonight!

13. LaPhemmePhoodie says:

Making a :( face because it's wonderful recipes like this one that make me miss being able to eat eggs.

14. sara @ CaffeIna says:

Frittata is really the best! Being Italian you can imagine I grew up with them! And it's a great way to eat extra veggies or to hide them for picky eater! my mom used to throw in anything! I love making them with any veggie I have at hand now. Contrary to you, I can't eat too many proteins so I don't usually start the day with them but this is my favorite dinner :) hey we compensate eat other with our eating habits/needs :)

15. A little bit of everything says:

i love making these souffle cupcakes ( i love to call them this way ) and I use paper cups as for cupcakes making cleaning a breeze :P

yours look delicious. I'm re-making some these days for sure.

Have a wonderful week Carolyn

16. I have been making greyere and spinach frittatas a lot lately. They make a perfect light lunch. I like the addition of ricotta and will try it some time!

healthy and delicious ricotta and eggs go well together

18. baking.serendipity says:

I love having breakfast ready in advance :) It always puts my day off to a good start. Your frittatas look fantastic!

19. What a great idea! I like the use of ricotta, and it would be great to have around on mornings when I'm tempted to grab something convenient but unhealthy.

20. Cake Duchess says:

I love making frittatas. Your mini ones are very tasty looking. I would love some for breakfast any day of the week (well, like tomorrow for example;)

21. Kate @ Diethood.com says:

That's a great breakfast – they look so delicious!

22. I have the same issue with my pan! and it's not even that old… I guess I'll have to consider silicone molds too!

Regarding your frittatas: they look delicious! And very healthy too. I'll be sure to make some too — I usually attack baby carrots whenever I am starving after a workout if there's nothing else to eat… but too many baby carrots aren't a solution either! I'd really rather have those frittatas :)

23. Cookin' Canuck says:

Frittatas…especially mini ones…are one of our favorite breakfast or lunch meals. These are adorable!

24. Wow! that looks fantastic…The color is fab and I bet they were tasty.A must try!

US Masala

25. Delicious! I have made something similar to these, and it is so great to have such a yummy breakfast like this to grab and go. I love that you can incorporate different vegetables whenever you need to change things up a bit.

26. Georgia (The Comfort of Cooking) says:

Ooo, Carolyn, these look delicious and I love the idea of doing them mini. A whole frittata for just me and my husband always seems like such a waste since we can't finish it, but I will definitely try it this way next time. Thanks for sharing this genius idea and recipe!

27. This recipe is so amazing! It looks light and beautiful and sounds healthy and yummy, too. I will need to try this :)

28. My son would adore these. so cute and compact for on the go. I am storing so many ideas for quick go-to meals for breakfast lunch and dinner since the husband will yet again be deployed, this time for 6 months! So I understand the rush with three little ones!

29. It sounds simple and delicious! Have to try this!

30. ravienomnoms says:

Those look outstanding! Wow, I would just love these little babies!

31. Stephanie says:

I just love frittatas. Anything with eggs, basically. :-p Especially small, cute ones like these! So much fun!

32. Sprinkling of Sugar says:

This is a fantastic recipe because it is so easily adaptable. You can put so many delicious and healthy things inside. Yum! Thanks for sharing!

33. A SPICY PERSPECTIVE says:

LOVE it! I've made something similar in both metal and silicone muffin tins and they come out so much easier baked in the silicone. Although, they have a really nice crust from the metal pans!

34. Fresh and Foodie says:

Yum. I love ricotta. These look really good.

35. Lick My Spoon says:

They look so cute. I'm always on the lookout for new and healthy breakfast ideas!

36. You are so smart to make a bunch up ahead so you can have a great, quick breakfast all week long. They are beautiful with all of those veggies.

37. All That's Left Are The Crumbs says:

These look like something that would please the whole family. I like having healthy breakfast on hand, especially in the morning when it can be grab and go.

38. what a great idea – i'd never have thought of doing this in muffin tins. I'm also terrible about eating a proper breakfast when I'm in a rush so I like this.

I think the silicone muffin tins would make it a lot easier – I'd like to get some myself!

39. Belinda @zomppa says:

These are delicious!!! And super healthy too.

40. Cajun Chef Ryan says:

These are cute little frittatas, they look like just a few bites and done, I might need a few of them on my plate!

41. Spicie Foodie says:

I am hypoglycemic so I can relate to you in some ways. I should add these to breakfast or even snack lineup, they sound so delicious. I also have the same issue with my metal baking dishes, silicone is the way I'm going next time. Thanks for sharing your yummy recipe.

42. What a great breakfast idea! I'm going to make some of these for my family too.

43. A Little Yumminess says:

Just posted a similar recipe…love the addition of ricotta. Would have never thought about it.

44. I am a HUGE fan of eggs in the morning over cereal. They are the perfect thing to wake up to and a great way to fuel your body. these mini frittata muffins look delicious! I bet the ricotta gives them a great texture.

45. BakingWithoutaBox says:

Quick easy breakfast goodness. Wonderful recipe Carolyn! Onion and garlic for taste with that red pepper kick. I would devour eggs like that.

46. Barbara @ Modern Comfort Food says:

Looks wonderful! I'm on an eggy, cheesy, muffin-style breakfast kick lately, and I love the combination of flavors you've used here. I haven't tried silicone baking dishes yet, but my well-seasoned cast iron muffin tin works like a charm. Even the stickiest items pop right out.

47. A Busy Nest says:

I just love the name of your blog. These look great and so do the brownies. Love that you put chipotle powder in them.

48. Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Having says:

These sound great. Perfect to wake up to.
    When I've tried to remove sugar and gluten from my diet I've only been successful when all my meals and snacks were planned. As soon I'd find myself hungry without a plan, the sugar free diet went out the window.

49. She's Cookin' says:

I love frittatas and these individual ones are so cute! Having protein for breakfast always takes me longer through the day, plus I love eggs! These are great for breakfast on the run or a snack, too.

50. sophiesfoodiefiles says:

Your frittatta's aka muffins look so delectbale & tasty!

This would taste great with a lovely big green salad!

51. Anonymous says:

Thanks for the recipe. I just made these and they were to die for. Even my husband loved them.

52. Heather Jacobsen says:

this look so yummy! i can't wait to try them!

53. sheila @ Elements says:

Yummy! I'm booking-marking this…definitely gonna have to make these days! Thanks so much for the recipe. :)

54. Anonymous says:

I just finished making these and they are great! Thanks for the great recipe! – Laura

55. I am so bummed this recipe is no longer available, and think link should be removed from foodgawker, since it is now a for sale item, and I shudder to think what other recipes I have bookmarked of yours that used to be available. Low carb cookbooks are so hit and miss, with crazy weird recipes. I certainly will not be buying your book for only one recipe. I used to refer people to your website, but unfortunately no more. Usually when people make a cookbook they add new recipes.

56. Hello Alicia,

I am sorry you feel so strongly about this, but you must do what you feel is right. There are only a few recipes that I removed from this blog to be included in the cookbook and for the record, the vast majority were, indeed, new and original. But these are my copyrighted recipes and as such, using them is at my discretion. Creating recipes is a remarkable amount of work and I wanted to showcase some of my best pieces in the cookbook. I believe this to be my prerogative.
    I am fortunate to have a great deal of support in the low carb and gluten free communities and quite honestly, there isn't anyone else who has expressed such feelings. So I am happy with my decision.
    Thanks!

57. Cool idea! :)
    And I don't think I need a recipe to make one just the same hehehe. It looks pretty simple. I just LOVE the idea of "baking" eggs… especially because I love omelets too but with an almost 1 year old that wants to eat everything from my plate it's hard to keep clinging to fried stuff :)

Oh and about them sticking to your tray. Did you try the muffin liners(cupcake liners)? I will try it in those. Should be good hehe.

58. moonwinks14 says:

I have looked throughout the book LCAF and index and am unable to find the recipe for Vegetable Ricotta Frittatas anywhere under any author! Please advise.

Regards,

Moonwinks14

59. Oh goodness, sorry, I called them something else! Broccoli Cheddar Breakfast Quiches because I wanted to put them under the Breakfast section.

60. Thanks for helping us to find this recipe in the LC Friends cookbook…I thought I was going crazy, too!

Have now cooked the Macadamia Coconut Lime Muffins (my non lc husband raved about them) and the Gingerbread Biscotti…wonderful.

Again I have to say I am enjoying your tasty work, Carolyn.