How Efficient Do You Feel Now?

In case you missed it, I am posting a link to a recap of Creating An Efficient Kitchen, a virtual cooking class held last week on The Motherhood. I feel so fortunate that I was asked to be a cohost, and a little bemused given the state of my kitchen at times. But I have come to realize that neatness and efficiency don’t always go hand in hand. A kitchen can be pristine, but if the cook can’t find the ingredients or the tools with ease, it’s all for naught. We discussed more than kitchen organization, however. There were conversations on meal planning and freezing, quick clean-up methods, and creative uses of leftovers.

Creating An Efficient Kitchen Class Summary

I may have been the single voice of dissent on one point, however. Everyone else felt it was important to clean as you go, but I said I put all my things to one side and clean after. In that way, I can get whatever it is into the oven as fast as possible and clean at my leisure as it is cooking. Granted, sometimes I then ignore the clean up in favour of blogging about my latest creation. But although my kitchen may look like a hurricane came through, I can get a batch of cookies or muffins into the oven in no time flat!

There were so many great points made during the class, by the hosts, the cohosts and the participants. It was a lot of fun but it moved FAST. I was part of about 4 conversations at a time, scrolling up and down my computer screen to read the lastest comments. Thank goodness that there is a summary and that the actually class is still available to readers. I encourage you to check it out when you have a moment. With all of the amazing ideas that came out of this class, you are sure to pick up a few useful tips. As an old university prof once said “The class teaches the class”. I learned as much as anyone from all of the participants and I want to thank The Motherhood and Con Agra for sponsering such a fun event.

Creating An Efficient Kitchen Class Summary

Comments

1. nancy@skinnykitchen.com says:

Carolyn, I agree with you. I'm usually cooking and baking so many recipes all at once, it's tough to clean as go.

2. I don't clean as I go too. It annoys my hubby so much hahaha But I have a system and it's kinda like Rachael Ray's garbage bowl where I have a place to put everything dirty and just clean up when I'm waiting for things to boil or bake or cook.

3. I'm so sad I missed it (I was stuck at a Doctor's office that day), but just went back and read through the summary. I bookmarked it since there are so many fabulous tips.
    As far as cleaning as you go while cooking is concerned, I'm more like you as well. Many weekdays I just need to get things in the oven or on the stove and while those things are cooking I can take my time to clean. :o)

4. I always clean afterwards. If you wait to clean, people might eat your new-found, brilliant creation and decide they want to do the dishes for one with such talents.

5. I'm so glad you posted about this cooking class…I was sorry to miss it! Who can't use a few tips about efficiency? I wait to clean, too, Carolyn :)

6. I used to be a clean-as-you-go person. Now with the kiddos at my feet I'm lucky if I can get it in the oven in a timely manner! I am usually playing on the floor in between batches! I usually shove it all to the side and clean up during naptime…or bedtime. YIKES! :)

7. Lisa @ Tarte du Jour says:

I thoroughly enjoyed this….many great tips! I find it difficult to clean as I go too!

8. Amy Bakes Everything says:

Clean as you go? people actually do that? I save it all to the end. Then cuss and cuss until it's finished. Great post!

9. I went on 20 minutes late and missed the show..I felt so bad! When it will again?

10. Kim - Liv Life says:

Ha!! Amy said it perfectly!! Clean as you go? People do that?? I don't do that. My mother has told me for as long as I can remember that I need to clean as I go, but it doesn't work for me. I put all the dirty things in one place, then clean after.
    Thanks for the link, I'm eager to check it out!

11. I hardly ever clean as I go unless I am working with meat. Like you, I may not get right to the dishes afterward, either. In fact, I usually trade goodies and meals to my teenage sons who in turn have to do the dishes. If I make too many dirty dishes, I help out a bit, especially with the "by handers."

12. Clean? Why should I clean ? That is my husband's job! Or my son's. So: I cook, they clean! This makes everybody happy. :)))))

13. foodblogandthedog says:

I'm physically incapable of cleaning up as I go I'm too impatient. I'd rather wait till the end and see if anyone else can do it!! I am a leftover queen though. I always make too much of risottos or paellas so I can have a stuffed pepper for lunch the next day really easily. I think it comes from owning a restaurant for 9 years. You realise that the difference between making profit and not is being creative with leftovers.

14. I enjoyed the summary, Carolyn, and picked up some useful tips. Thank you so much!

15. A little bit of everything says:

i missed when the class took place and I'm so happy you posted again. so many tips that come in handy.
    i'm not a cleaning queen either. when soup is on the stove, cookies in the oven and dough left to rise who has time to clean immediately? i do it when the cooking/baking is done.
    thanks once again for the article.

I'm more of a clean whenever person. Since I've done the cooking, I leave the big stuff to the other adult in the house, though usually he more resembles a teenager trying to slink away without doing the job. ::sigh::