Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins (Low Carb and Gluten Free)

My whole family has a serious addiction to peanut butter. We can easily go through the 2-pack of large jars from our local wholesale club in under a month. It’s a little horrifying, actually, to think you just bought a whole wackload of peanut butter and then to discover that you are down to the last few scrapings in the jar. The problem is, we love it in all sorts of ways: on toast, on granola bars, in baked goods, and straight out of the jar with a spoon. It’s a quick energy snack when you need it, and it’s filling and satisfying. Oh, and it tastes good too. Really good. Especially with chocolate.

I enjoyed my first two experiments with peanut flour and started thinking of what else to make with it. My first instinct was peanut flour blondies or cookies, but I wasn’t quite sold on that idea. I let the idea keep rolling around in my mind, and somehow it transformed itself into a peanut flour coffee cake. And then, like a science experiment gone awry, it kept mutating away in my brain and finally became peanut butter muffins. I had some homemade chocolate chips in the freezer and I knew it would be a perfect match.

I really liked the texture of the muffins made with cream cheese from Jennifer Eloff’s blog, even though mine didn’t rise properly in the middle. So I knew I wanted to adapt the recipe for peanut flour and peanut butter. I gave a lot of thought to the right combination of wet and dry ingredients and oven temperature so that they would actually be muffin-shaped this time. Additionally, peanut flour is a lot denser than other nut flours, so I knew I couldn’t go all peanut flour or I might end up with muffins that were as dense as hockey pucks.

The Results: Would it be vain of me to say that I think I nailed it on the first try? Maybe, but I am going to say it anyway. I really love these. The texture is just right and the peanut buttery taste is spot on. And they didn’t sink in the middle! Honestly, the only thing I would change would be my chocolate chips, they were much meltier this time, and melted too much down the sides of the muffins. But that could be fixed with commercial chocolate chips or chopped Lindt bars. Or even no chocolate chips at all. I think the peanut butter flavour here was wonderful and would be great plain or with a smear of sugar-free jam.

These aren’t the lowest of the low carb treats I’ve ever made. Both the peanut flour and the peanut butter add some extra carbs, as do the chocolate chips. But there is also a lot of protein and fiber in these, and they are really satisfying and filling.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins

1 cup almond flour
1/2 cup peanut flour
1/4 cup vanilla whey protein powder
1/4 cup granulated erythritol
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 tbsp almond milk
2 large eggs
1/2 cup sugar-free chocolate chips (or one 3.5oz 85% cacao Lindt bar, chopped)

Preheat oven to 300F and line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper or silicone liners.

In a medium bowl, whisk together nut flours, whey powder, erythritol, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add peanut butter and almond milk and beat until combined. Add eggs and stevia extract and beat until combined, but do not overbeat.

Add dry ingredients in two batches, beating until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.

Divide batter among prepared muffin cups. Bake for 30 minutes or until tops are set and golden brown.

Let cool in pan.

Serves 12. Carb count will vary depending on what chocolate you use, but with my homemade chocolat chips, each muffin has a total of 11.2g of carbs, but only 7.25g if you subtract erythritol.

Comments

1. Three-Cookies says:

Looks and sounds delicious. Congrats on nailing it on the first go. Peanut flour and peanut butter – double peanut muffin:)

2. Yes, please!! I'm loving PB lately, too. I still have PB-dark chocolate brownies in my fridge. I nibble on them everyday! :-p

3. You are really tempting me to try out that peanut flour. I am already listing in my head all the tasty things I could bake with it…

4. I'm with you on the peanut butter addiction. Looks like the perfect excuse to bake muffins :) And oh I like the lovely crunch of your muffins.

Oh yum. I love peanut butter. We go through a tub pretty regularly too. Dudette loves them on toasted English muffins or a banana. I just love it. These look phenomenal, even with the chocolate. :)

6. Belinda @zomppa says:

Peanut flour – brilliant! It's good that your family is addicted to PB and not something like potato chips. =)

7. Sugar Free Low Carb says:

Another superb recipe. We are also big fans of peanut butter. Also, thanks for the tips on the homemade chocolate chips. I finally made some and they were perfect.

8. Angela@RecipesFromMyMom says:

You are having so much fun with peanut flour! We love PB so much in our house, we'll fight over who gets to open a new jar. That first dip into the PB is heaven.

9. Lauren at KeepItSweet says:

Nice job on a successful first attempt! I also adore peanut butter and chocolate:-)

10. Brandie@thecountrycook says:

Now who wouldn't love these? And they are healthy too. Great!!

11. mike @theflavorjunkie says:

Carolyn, love this post! I love PB and chocolate and you can never have too many recipes with both of those ingredients.

Great pictures. So good! I'll take two, please.

12. Amy at TheSceneFromMe says:

You can't go wrong with peanut butter and chocolate. I have PB jars in my pantry that are labled for the dogs and then the rest for us. I just ordered over $80 worth of flavored peanut butters from SPREAD. Have you heard of them?
    And I got White Chocolate Cherry Peanut Butter from Cherry Republic in Michigan that is so good!

13. Now Serving says:

That looks Super moist and gooey! loving it!

14. Looks stunning and so tasty!!!Awesome photos!!

15. Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels says:

Congrats on nailing it on the first try, that's amazing! Your muffins look just perfect and sooo good. I love how you incorporated peanut flour into the muffins. I swear, you're a genius at making low carb treats! :)

16. BakingWithoutaBox says:

I can gobble up a whole big jar of PB straight from the spoon by myself in less than a week. Never fear about your PB addiction. There are a lot of us out there. And we all need these muffins!!! They looks soooo good. Perfection on the first round. Great job.

17. Sprinkles of Parsley says:

Looks delicious!! So funny you posted these because I just made the same, but with chocolate muffins. Love how yours have that wonderful swirl!

18. Fresh and Foodie says:

My relationship with peanut butter is downright wrong. I eat it more often straight from the jar than in or on something…is that wrong? Lovely recipe and cool idea to use whey powder.

19. Amy | She Wears Many Hats says:

These look tempting – way tempting! Good to know they're low carb.

20. Looks incredible! We go through some peanut butter rather quickly as well. You're experiments are so exciting to read! Love this, so many people will benefit from your passion and hard work :)

21. Your recipes look always sooooo tempting!!!! You are really great, I don't doubt you nail it at the very first time. Your blog is a mine.

22. Surely delicious! A healthy treat…baked to perfection!!

US Masala

23. Nice grain-free muffin!

24. Soooooooooooooo not vain of you to say that you nailed it on the first try! LOL! They sound great! I have major love for pb too! Also, I passed on my Stylish Blogger Award to you: http://comowater.com/2011/02/04/hummingbird-cake/. Happy Friday!!!

25. We must have been on the same wave length Carolyn because I made peanut butter choc chip muffins the other day :D

I too am addicted to peanut butter, lovely, healthy stuff it is.

Love the chocolate you used in your sweet little cakes also – I love love dark chocolate, it goes beautifully with peanut butter.

26. Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Having says:

Based on the pictures I don't think its vain at all to say you nailed it, these muffins look awesome. Peanut butter and chocolate are a match made in heaven :)

27. Haha I don't know if it is the weather or just pure coincidence but I just posted an incredibly similar story on my blog. My love-affair with peanut butter is just as insane and wonderful as yours!

I love it. Mixed with chocolate…well, there is no other combination more perfect on earth.

28. Kathleen Brumm says:

Hi :-) I just found your blog, and as someone who has to eat low-carb, I am in love with your recipes!! These PB muffins look particularly scrumptious, and I can't wait to try it out. Thanks for creating such an awesome blog that is helping people like me not feel "left out" of the fun of eating delicious foods!!

29. looks soft and chewy- well baked!

30. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen says:

I'm a big fan of peanut butter as well, always have a jar on hand!

31. Mmm I'm a sucker for peanut butter!

32. Way to go girl! I much prefer the healthy fats to the high carb stuff any day! Muffins look great with the homemade chocolate chips.

33. I am totally in love with peanut butter. The obsession cam when I was diagnosed with diabetes in 2004. I am going to try my best to bake these muffins soon. I love that you added the carbohydrate info.

34. MMM, those look awesome!! i need to pick up some peanut flour! I am not a huge peanut butter fan by itself, but I love PB in baked goods!

35. sweetpeaskitchen.com says:

These muffins look great! I love all the chocolate chips! :)

36. sweetpeaskitchen.com says:

These muffins look great! I love all the chocolate chips! :)

37. Chef Dennis says:

hi Carolyn

what a perfect flavor combination! I had no idea there was peanut flour, I am always amazed at how good gluten free baked goods turn out, I would be hard pressed to know there was any difference. I can certainly use to reduce my carb intake too…..
    Great job with these little beauties
    Dennis

38. I can`t stop looking at this! It`s absolutely divine and I want to try this…

Have a great time,
    Paula

39. Vivian Cardinale says:

Love reading your posts -don't know too much about low carb or gluten free baking so am always learning something from your site! Your recipes are great and everything looks incredible, you'd never think they're low carb!

40. I've been on a serious PB&J kick lately – schmearing it all over wholewheat English muffins in the morning and kidding myself that the protein would keep me from snacking until lunch! Your muffins look fabulous – maybe that's what I'll do with the rest of the PB!

41. These muffins look so perfect, it's hard to believe that they're way healthier than my normal version! Ever since I've started baking regularly, I think I've put on about 15lbs so I may have to go your low carb way soon!

42. baking.serendipity says:

I am always game for another peanut butter and chocolate recipe :) My husband and I are always stocking up on pb from Costco!

43. My family loves peanut butter too. Congratulations on nailing this recipe the first time!

44. Amy Bakes Everything says:

Girl – you should never feel vain for nailing recipes! You amaze me your recipes – I know there's NO way I could get this on the first try, unless it was with AP flour and gran sugar! Great job!

45. Kate @ Diethood.com says:

These sound wonderful … would have been a delicious Sunday breakfast!
    I'm also a PB addict…I put it in almost everything that I bake. Or I just go in there with a spoon… one of the two for sure. :)

46. A little bit of everything says:

my favorite way to eat PT is straight from the jar :)))
    yeee for nailing this on the first attempt. they really look good.

Have a wonderful Sunday Carolyn

47. briarrose says:

So yummy….we have such a peanut butter addiction as well. My hubby is always commenting that we "just" bought multiple jars and yet we need more. ;)

48. Magic of Spice says:

I still have so much peanut flour left, should start thinking up using it up :) I love peanut butter too, and they look delicious :)

49. Where did you get the peanut flour? I haven't seen it in any stores. These look great!

50. homemadechocolatier says:

there are few things that go together better than peanut butter and chocolate. these must be amazing!

51. My local Trader Joe’s doesn’t stock peanut flour. Do you think I could use cashew flour in its place?

• Sure, you can try that. It’s not as powdery as peanut flour but it should be okay. For the record, Trader Joe’s no longer carries peanut flour at all but you can purchase it on Amazon or Netrition.