Brie, Ham and Green Apple Quesadilla (Low Carb)

Picture this: a heavily pregnant woman walks into a William Sonoma in downtown Boston, where she proceeds to buy a panini press. She then hauls this surprisingly heavy kitchen item all the way home on the Orange Line, from Back Bay to Forest Hills station, where she waits for the bus. Normally, she would walk the 15 minutes home, but given that she is 7 months pregnant, with some back issues and a heavy panini-maker, she decides to treat herself to a bus ride. When she gets home, her husband is sitting in the living room, watching TV. Their anniversary is just days away, but the woman can’t wait. She has to show him his present now, she is just too excited about it. He is as thrilled as she knew he would be, and they both start scheming as to what they will make first.

See, even back then, I dreamed about food all day! That was a while ago now, but it’s a true story. I literally couldn’t contain my excitement over a new piece of kitchen equipment. If memory serves, I’d had a really bad day at work and I needed cheering up, so I didn’t want to wait the three or four days until our actual anniversary to give it to my husband. That panini press went on to become a vital kitchen item, seeing a great deal of use for several years. We even hauled it all the way up to Maine on a trip to see my sister-in-law, so that we could serve them panini one evening. We still have it and it still works, it simply doesn’t see as much action now that I am a diabetic. Poor beloved panini press.

This recipe isn’t for panini, obviously, but it is inspired by panini. What got us so excited about panini, if I remember correctly, was an amazing sandwich we’d had at a winery in Rhode Island. It was one of those meals you dream about afterwards, the circumstances were just so perfect. It was a gorgeous fall day, warm and sunny, and this was our final stop on a little winery tour. We sat outside, talking with friends and eating these gorgeous sandwiches that were grilled to perfection. Once we had our own panini maker, we recreated that sandwich over and over for friends and family. Simple ingredients that combined perfectly.

I’ve missed that sandwich, it’s one of the things towards the top of my “to-eat” list if ever my diabetes magically disappears. But I am not holding my breath. So when I recently saw a quesadilla recipe that contained apple on Mr. and Mrs. P, a lightbulb went off. I might not be able to have the delicious crusty Italian bread, but there was no reason I couldn’t fill a low carb tortilla with my favourite fillings. Why the heck not???

The Results: Many, many thanks to the fellow bloggers who inspired the idea. This was the best lunch I’ve had in a while. Sure, it might be a bit more substantial on crusty Italian bread, but the tortilla actually showcased the fillings wonderfully. The brie got all melty and gooey while the apple stayed crisp and sweet. Paired with some Dijon mustard sauce, it was just perfect, and I am glad I bought enough ham to make a second round. I plan on having it for lunch again today! I’m hungry just thinking about it right now.

Whether you are a low carber or not, I highly recommend this. Quesadillas don’t have to be all black beans and cheese, after all. They lend themselves to lots of wonderful flavour combinations. And this makes such a simple, quick, but flavourful meal. Or serve it as an appetizer. I made only one serving, but of course you can double, triple, quadruple this to serve your needs.

Brie, Ham and Green Apple Quesadilla

1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp mayonnaise
1 8-inch flour tortilla (I used Joseph’s Low Carb)
1 oz brie cheese, thinly sliced
2 slices black forest ham
3 thin slices of granny smith apple
1 tbsp olive or vegetable oil

In a small bowl, stir together mustard and mayonnaise. Spread about 1-2 tsp thinly over tortilla. Top one half of tortilla with cheese, ham and apple and fold the other half over top.

Heat oil in a heavy 10-inch skillet over medium low heat. When oil is hot, place quesadilla in pan. Let cook until tortilla is golden brown on the bottom, about 4 minutes. Carefully flip quesadilla and continue to cook until the other side is golden brown and cheese has melted.

Remove quesadilla to a cutting board and let cool for a few minutes to allow for easier cutting. Cut into four equal pieces and serve with remaining dijon mustard sauce.

Serves 1. Total carbs is 15.2g with 6.7g of fiber, so net carbs equal 8.5g

Comments

1. I love your panini story! My boyfriend bought me one for Christmas (and when he buys presents he always makes sure he can benefit from it and boy has he!). We travel with it and sometime use it for all three meals of the day!

Anything that makes cheese melt is my friend…

Emilie
    liveeatsmile.blogspot.com

2. What a fabulous combination of ingredients…I have everything but ham in the fridge…this may have to be my lunch this weekend :)

3. Jeanine - The Baking Beauties says:

Picture Perfect! :) Man, I wish I could buy my husband a kitchen appliance or gadget and have him be excited about it. That'd be a win for me too. :)

New kitchen gadgets make me giddy! I would love to get a panini maker. My guy has mentioned it in the past and what a great refresher for a gift idea! I love the flavor combination. Fruit and cheese are perfect for each other. Yummy!

5. savoringeverybite says:

I thought I was the only woman who would never be dissapointed in receiving a kitchen appliance for a gift from my man!! I thought paninis were in my past too, great idea!!

6. Mmm, I love fruit/cheese combinations. Especially love eating brie with apple chutney, so I will give this combination a try too.

7. Ok, you have me drooling over here. This sounds like a phenomenal lunch! Brie, yum! Brie pressed together with ham and apple, yum yum! There is no doubt in my mind that this is delicious!

8. I love the combination of the flavors with quesadilla, I have apples, and ham, but no brie. I see a trip to the store in my future.

looks wonderful lovely presentation

10. Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Having says:

I can just imagine you lugging the pannini press around!
    This sounds like a terrific lunch!

11. Melissa @IWasBornToCook says:

This looks delicious! I always make sandwiches on the grill press using low carb tortillas. Delicious!

12. Elisabeth says:

Carolyn, the combination of the brie, apple and ham were so amazing… Lora made these with the Naan bread, and grilled it in the Panini machine. The quesadillas are even more tempting, and delicious!

13. Every time I visit your blog and see your title, I always have to pause and mentally say, "MMMM, me too." Those sandwiches look wonderful. I love the combination of cheese and apples.

14. Rachel @ Baked by Rachel says:

Love the story of your panini maker. I sometimes wonder if it's an item I'd use enough to justify buying one.

15. Cake Duchess says:

Oh deliciousness!I love quesadillas and never thought of brie and apples with ham. I have done brie and ham. The apples must make it so much better:)

16. Kate @ Diethood.com says:

Oh my gosh, Carolyn, this quesadilla sounds fantastic!! Hubz and I would devour these in no time. I love the inclusion of brie…yum!

17. I hope you don't mind if I steal your idea for a weekend get together. I was going to make varieties of crostini with brie, pear and honey but the idea of little quesadilla wedges is a bit more appealing! I think a greek inspired one will be great, too! Thanks for sharing!

18. This is too perfect..love how you made it, and the inspiration behind it!
    Thanks so much for sharing!!!

19. Cookette says:

Love the combo of apple, ham and brie! And he story behind it is great too :)

20. Carolyn, I own a panini maker as well and I love it dearly. I also own a quesadilla maker. We received it a few years ago for a Christmas gift and both of these appliances get used quite frequently. Your quesadillas look and sound divine! Brie with apples is just a match made in heaven. Definitely need to bookmark this one :o)

21. Charlie @ SweetSaltySpicy says:

Brie is one of my favorite cheeses. And all my favorite sandwiches have brie in it ;).

22. Sommer J says:

Didn't realize there were quesadilla makers! Must make it my next purchase! Quesadillas goes down very well around here- this one will for sure especially with my son :)

23. Beloved Green says:

What a great story, thanks for sharing!

24. This looks like a delicious combination! Thanks for sharing!

25. I love this take on the sandwich. The combo of brie, ham and apple sounds like it would be good no matter what the wrapping! And your story is fantastic…I can just picture it!

26. Cookin' Canuck says:

Brie and apple – I can't think of a better combination.

27. scratch-made wife says:

How funny! I had a very similar lunch earlier this week, but I had to make mine with what I had in the fridge: a multi-grain flatbread, a pink lady apple and swiss cheese. I think you addition of mustard and Brie sounds fab!

28. Kimberly says:

I love this beautiful, healthy lunch! I know I could never get my hubby to eat it, but I will totally be making this for myself asap!

29. One would be crazy not to like a combination like this. I love every bit of it!

30. Melissa@EyesBigger says:

Brie, apple and ham is one of my favourite sandwich combos! I make it with regular bread, in pitas, and my favourite so far has been with naan. I have no idea why I never thought to do it with tortillas! What a great idea :)

31. I hope you realize that this picture that you just described of the pregnant woman lugging a super heavy panini press around will likely be me someday. So beware.

I LOVE the sound of this quesadilla. I'm totally up for non-traditional quesadilla fillings especially if brie is involved!

32. Tastemonials says:

My favorite quesadillas are made with potatoes, brie, red onion, cilantro and spicy peach or mango chutney. Maybe more carbs than you can have, but you get the idea. No beans and cheese for me.

33. briarrose says:

Wonderful mix of flavors. The ham and apple just sound so good.

34. I would actually rather have this panini in the tortilla. I am always more about the fillings than the bread anyway. Love your preggers story ;)

35. Mmm…ham and brie cheese. It doesn't get much better than that!

36. baking.serendipity says:

I love adding apples to quesadillas. Tortillas just seem like the perfect route for this sandwich to me and yours looks fantastic :)

37. Kimberly Peterson says:

Aaawwwww what a cute story! Glad you decided to take the bus, although you shouldn't be carrying the panini press!! But I definitely understand your excitement, hehe. Love our gadgets!!

38. Angie's Recipes says:

What a delicious and healthy combination!

39. Thank you for sharing a little bit of you Carolyn. I wish my brother was diligent as you. Some days I would like to hit him over the head with a panini because he doesn't take care of himself as well as he should. I am sending him the link to your site. I am hoping you will wake up his eyes to taking care of himself.

40. I simply must try this! I need to make a grocery run and I have this recipe in hand! :) Have a great weekend! ♥- Katrina

41. She's Cookin' says:

Brie and apples are a winning combination in every way. I actually prefer tortillas over bread – goes back to my office days when it was easier to melt a little cheese on a low-carb tortilla and roll it up with whatever I had on hand! Lighter, lower calorie, and not as messy while eating at your desk :)

42. Love it! So simple and tasty. I love how apple and cheese pairs together so nicely.

Oh shoot, girl. I'm glad you've discovered the joy of the quesadilla. Next time give peanut butter and banana a try. It's like an Elvis without all that heavy bread. It's awesome.

44. Imwaytoobusy says:

Oh, this is right up my alley. I have been eating hot apple sandwiches like a maniac! I love the quesadilla approach ;)

45. Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. says:

yum! This looks amazing!

46. What a beautiful quesadilla! It sounds so fresh and delicious :)

47. The Souper says:

To Carolyn at All Day I Dream About Food:

You are a recipient of "The Lovely Blog Award". I adore your blog and appreciate all the hard work and love you put into your recipes! To see the award please visit

Please pass this award along to 15 other deserving bloggers. Congrats!

The Souper

48. Elizabeth says:

Holy smokes! That looks delicious! I am really excited, because I used to eat a delicious brie, chicken, cilantro, and mango quesadilla, but had to give it up due to a mango allergy. This sounds like an excellent replacement!

49. Mr. & Mrs. P says:

Great!! Love it that you used our idea and switched it up!!!