Five Spice Roasted Almonds (Low Carb and Gluten Free)

I may or may not be slightly obsessed with five spice powder at the moment. I bought a bag of it from Penzeys Spices a few months ago and have been trying to work it in to new and different recipes. If you’ve never heard of Penzeys and you consider yourself a foodie, I urge you to check them out. They have an amazing selection of spices and spice blends, along with other flavourings, and their mail-order catalog makes for a great read. I was introduced to Penzeys by my sister-in-law, who gave me a gift card for my birthday a few years ago. I am almost ashamed to admit that it took me several years to use it. We were running low on a little jar of Penzeys chipotle powder that someone had given us and I couldn’t find anything comparable in local grocery stores. So I hopped online with my gift card and purchased a few items I knew weren’t readily available at local stores, including a bag of five spice powder.

I honestly don’t even know if I had ever tried Chinese Five Spice powder before my package arrived from Penzey’s. I’d certainly heard of it, and seen some interesting uses for it in the food-blogging world, but I really wasn’t sure how it smelled or tasted. So my senses were utterly assaulted, in a good way, when I opened up the bag and took a sniff. It’s hard to describe the smell of five spice, except to say that it is complex and exotic. It isn’t hot spicy in the way of chilies, but it is intense. The first thing I did with it was create a dry rub for chicken wings, and I thought they were delicious. I’ve used in a few other things and it always adds a wonderful new dimension to meats and savoury dishes. Since it’s made up of spices I typically associate with sweet tastes (cinnamon, anise, ginger and cloves), I thought it would be great a wonderful complement to lightly sweetened nuts.

One more little plug for Penzeys before I get to the results (and for the record, this is not a paid advertisement and I have not been contacted by the company, I just like their products!). They do have brick and mortar stores scattered around, but they are mostly a mail-order business. One lovely little thing about ordering from them is that they always include a sample-size jar of a new spice or spice blend for free. This go-round we got Turkish Seasoning. I haven’t tried it out yet but the package indicates that it’s good on lamb, beef or chicken, or mixed into yogurt as a sandwich spread. I am looking forward to trying it all of these ways!

The Results Long after these almonds were out of the oven, my house smelled warmly of Chinese Five Spice. They were delicious right out of the oven and I couldn’t really stop nibbling at them. Sadly, I think I overdid it. My stomach is still a little off from the strep and the antibiotics, and the thought of the Five Spice almonds is now too much to bear. Since I am feeling this way about some other foods, including my beloved peanut butter, I think it’s the illness and not the almonds themselves. As I said, I really loved them warm from the oven, so I’d definitely recommend them as a nice little cocktail nut with an exotic twist.

Five Spice Roasted Almonds
2 tsp erythritol (or white sugar if you aren’t low carb)
1 tsp Chinese Five Spice powder
pinch cayenne
1 egg white
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp melted butter
1 1/2 cups almonds

Preheat the oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a small bowl, whisk together the erythritol, five spice powder and cayenne.

In a medium bowl, whisk egg white and water until frothy. Add almonds, tossing to coat thoroughly. Drain in a colander for 5 minutes.

Place drained almonds in a larger bowl and add melted butter. Toss to coat. Add spice mixture and toss thoroughly. Lay in a single layer on prepared baking sheet and roast, stirring occasionally, 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned and very fragrant.

Let cool on pan for a few minutes before serving.

Comments

1. Jeanine says:

Those look great! (pictures = AMAZING!!) I've heard of Penzey's, but I've never tried the Chinese Five Spice.

Hope you're on the mend!

2. Joy, The Herbed Kitchen says:

These look amazing! My husband is absolutely obsessed with Five Spice so he'll go bananas for these almonds. 5 spice is pretty common in Chinese cooking (obviously!) and the meat in most dishes has been tossed in a bit of it. From what I remember and what hubby can discern, 5 of the 11 "secret spices" are made from 5 spice!

3. Carolyn, I LOVE Penzey's!!! I've been ordering from them for years and the quality (and price) of their spices is unlike anything you could find at a grocery store. I especially love that once you have the jars you can just order re-fill bags.
    These nuts look fantastic (great color) and I can only imagine how wonderful your house must have smelled while they were roasting. I would certainly enjoy them with a nice glass of wine!

4. mr. pineapple man says:

ooh this looks delicious! reminds me of the nutz for nuts in ny city!

5. Angie's Recipes says:

Those are addictive and delicious! Love 5spice in it…had some 5spice crackers the other day…just marvelous.

6. Jill Colonna says:

Any friends of mine know that I'm partial to a glass or two of wine and it comes at first with a few nuts…
    I love the smoked ones we can buy in France but I'm getting so fed up with them. Thank you for saving us from boredom of the same kind; these look heavenly and full of flavour. I'm heading for the store tomorrow for 5-spice!

yummy looking healthy snacks

8. Love almonds :) such a healthy snack, I'll have to try your recipe!

9. Wow – I've never even heard of this spice blend but these nuts look amazing! So very colorful – they look like they are bursting with flavor! ♥- Katrina

10. Kate @ Diethood.com says:

LOVE this idea! So different from the regular almonds. And I need to make this….looks like something that could become a new fave snack!

11. Oh sweet Carolyn those look so tasty and amazing! I could use at least one cup right now:)) I never heard about
    Penzeys but will check it out!
    Have a wonderful evening!

12. Amazing photos! What a wonderful snack~

I've slowly been replacing all my herbs and spices with Penzey's after they opened a store only minutes away. I adore their products, too :)

13. 5 spice powder is one of my favourite spice mixes ever, it's so interesting and difficult to describe yet so delicious.

I'm afraid I would eat so many of these if I made them!

14. sweetpeaskitchen.com says:

These look awesome! I have had my eye on a similar recipe for a while now. I need to give these a try. They are so easy and addicting! :)

15. Amy Bakes Everything says:

Oh, yummy! I would eat the whole batch without a blink! I love 5 spice and will be checking out Penzy's

16. Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Having says:

I have no idea what 5 spice tastes like, even though I'm sure I must have tried it. Based on this post I'm going to have to fix this situation!

17. Angela@RecipesFromMyMom says:

Fabulous way to spruce up almonds! I can never quite decide if it's a blessing or a curse that we have a Penzeys just a few blocks from us. I can spend hours there looking and smelling the jars. Can't wait to see what you'll do with the Turkish Seasoning.

Exotic was the perfect word to describe 5 spice. I love the stuff. There's an Asian grilled chicken dish that I make with it and we just about get sick eating it. Kinda like you with these almonds. I hope your tummy's already better. I'm going to be making these soon though. Thanks for the recipe!

19. Great idea with the almonds!! I have never heard of Penzeys but I have now checked them out online and there is a store in the city I am visiting in a few weeks! I am stoked!!!

20. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen says:

I'm a big fan of Penzeys too. They have a location not too far from me now so I can actually go browse in person which is great, but I always walk out with way more than I went int here for!

During a LIVE web chat while Prevention magazine yesterday I informed another woman about your site who was looking for gluten-free recipes. I sure hope she found you okay because I just love your blog. I love any kind of warm nut and flavor combination with them. These sound so delicious. I've heard of Penzey and need to check it out now! Now I need to try not to overeat the nuts and spend like crazy at their site.

22. Jason Phelps says:

I read the post for two reasons. First roasted nuts. I love them and have been making my own for a while now. Never with Five Spice, but I'll fix that later in the week. The second reason, your nut joke when you sent it through Foodbuzz. I am a testicular cancer survivor and love nut jokes. If you ain't laughing, you're crying!

Jason

23. Stephanie says:

Chinese Five Spice is a pantry MUST-HAVE! I use it all the time in an assortment of goodies, from soups to stir-frys, to baked goods. It's quite versatile! These "nuts" sure do look amazing, though. I love how dark and luscious they look after being baked. Get better soon, my dear!!

24. a frog in the cottage says:

perfect for an aperitif to accompany a nice glass of red wine

25. briarrose says:

Great use for five spice powder. Seasoned nuts make such wonderful snacks.

26. Wilde in the Kitchen says:

I love Penzeys too and luckily I live near one of their real stores! (It's too dangerous to go there, stick to the mail order!) I bet these almonds smelled amazing, thanks for sharing!

27. Medifast Coupons says:

I am going to have to check these guys out, I wonder if they take orders from Canada.

28. Jeanette says:

I love five spice powder. My mom makes five spice peanuts which are a family favorite.

29. Mr. & Mrs. P says:

Sounds so simple!!!!

30. Cajun Chef Ryan says:

I eat almonds, pecans, walnuts, and peanuts all the time, and these seasoned almonds are right up my flavor profile!

31. Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels says:

I love spiced nuts but these five spiced almonds look incredible!! :) Thank you for introducing me to Penzey's, I'm going to check out their site.

32. Loving these almonds girl!! 5 spice is one of my all time favorite spice blends!

33. Tiffany says:

I made spicy pepitas last night!!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of using five spice powder! Thanks for sharing and I hope you're feeling 100% soon!

34. Not only do I love Penzey's and Five Spice, but I also love almonds-so this is a win-win for me!

35. Katrina says:

Okay – just so you know I can't stop thinking about these nuts! I'm kind of fixated on them!! Ha ha! Thanks for passing along my Thin Mints post! ♥- Katrina

36. YUM! Love almonds – they look great!

Mary xx
    Delightful Bitefuls

37. loved the recipe- Bookmarked!

38. Evan @swEEts says:

I have heard of the spices, but never had the opportunity to get any! And I don't think I've ever had Chinese Five Spice Powder either! I need to find some and make these immediately!

39. Magic of Spice says:

Those look dangerous! What a wonderful snack :)

40. Veronica Gantley says:

Your food looks amazing! Love how you shot them. I will have to make these soon.

41. foodblogandthedog says:

I'm definitely digging out that pot of five spice for these beauties. A nice twist from the usual, rosemary, chilli, sugar version that has been doing the rounds!!

42. These look gorgeous and your photos are beautiful. I can just visualize how sticky my fingers would be after polishing off a bowl of these, and how yummy to lick them clean! :-)

43. Cake Duchess says:

Oh wow do those look amazing. Giggling at Jason's comments and so happy he survived testicular cancer.
    I'm craving your spicy nuts, Carolyn;)

44. kitchenarian says:

I love Penzeys Spices – and now I must buy the five spice powder and then make these almonds. Great post.

45. Erin @ EKat's Kitchen says:

I love five spice too… and think it's amazing. I really enjoy roasted almonds, and will have to try these soon!

46. I love Penzeys! And what a great twist on roasted almonds, I'd love to have some of these aroudn for nibbling.

47. Hi, Noticed that you had an upset stomach eating nuts and was wondering if you had heard about the practice of soaking and dehydrating nuts?