Garlic and Herb Rolls (Low Carb)

I am fairly certain that you know I love chocolate, and I think I’ve made it pretty obvious how much I love nuts. What you might not know is that I am also a full-on, certified, card-carrying garlic-aholic. I love the stuff dearly and think that most savoury foods could be vastly improved by the addition of garlic. And if they already have some in it, I think they could be vastly improved by the addition of more garlic. We have a dish we used to eat fairly frequently, called Pasta Fresca, and we’d add so much garlic our breath fairly reeked of it from several feet away. And my husband makes a wonderful homemade boursin, and I always egg him on to add more and more garlic. It’s a sickness, it really is.

Now that I have disclosed this addiction, you might be able to imagine my reaction to the various garlic knots and garlic rolls that were making their rounds in the food-blogging world recently. Alas, bread is not exactly my friend these days, so I did my best to shield my eyes from the beautiful sight of fresh rolls brushed in garlic butter, and skip over those posts. But I couldn’t get them out of my head quite so easily, the images that I had barely glimpsed were branded on my brain. Garlic. Butter. Fresh bread. Together, they are a temptation worse than the apple in the Garden of Eden.

They had to be made, and I was going to eat one come hell or highwater. So I decided to try them with Carbalose flour, so that they wouldn’t be quite so hard on my blood sugars. And I knew exactly which recipe I was going to use. My friend Roxana from A Little Bit of Everything makes such beautiful work of her breads and rolls. She’s an artist in yeasted dough and her recipes included step by step instructions. So it was to her site I turned for help. I halved the recipe so we wouldn’t have too much leftover and I made a few modifications that suit the nature of carbalose flour (more yeast and more liquid, and letting it rise in a warm oven). But other than that, I followed her recipe and directions. If you don’t need to be low carb, check out Roxana’s recipe here. I assure you, you won’t regret it.

The Results: These are delightful and a perfect accompaniment to a lighter meal of soup or salad. I did find that they weren’t quite as garlicky as I might have liked, but remember, I am a serious garlic-lover. This is all a matter of personal preference. I also found that a lot of the butter ran out during baking. Next time, I might do something like this – brush just a little melted butter inside, slather it with crushed garlic and other herbs and then brush the tops with more melted butter. I just hated seeing all that lovely butter go to waste! But the rolls themselves were lovely and the carbalose flour did admirably. I would make these again in a heartbeat.

Garlic and Herb Rolls – adapted from A Little Bit of Everything

2 cups carbalose flour
1/3 cup vital wheat gluten
1/2 cup whole milk, lukewarm (about 110F)
1/2 cup water, lukewarm (abut 110F)
1 package rapid rise yeast
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup butter, softened
4 cloves garlic, pressed
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried parsley

Preheat oven to 200F for 10 minutes and then turn oven off.

In a medium bowl, stir together carbalose flour, gluten flour and salt. Set aside

In the bowl of your mixer, combine milk and water. Sprinkle yeast over and mix well. Mix in egg until combined.

With the mixer on low speed, slowly add flour mixture until combined. Dough may be quite sticky, but do not add any more flour.

With greased hands, shape dough into a smooth ball and place in a lightly greased bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Place in warm oven for 30-45 minutes, or until doubled in size.

Meanwhile, cream butter with garlic, basil, parsley and salt until well combined.

Roll out dough on a lightly greased surface into a rough rectangle, 12 x 16 inches or so. Spread butter mixture over dough, leaving a 1/2 inch border around all edges. Starting at a longer side, roll up dough tightly into a log and pinch to seal the edge.

Cut log into 12 equal portions (following Roxana, I used a piece of fine thread for this and it worked to cut them without squishing them) and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Put back into warm oven and let rise until doubled, about 20 more minutes.

Remove from oven and increase heat to 375F. Once oven is preheated, bake rolls 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.

Serves 12. Each roll has a total of 9.7g of carbs and 4.8g of fiber, so net carbs are 4.9g.

Comments

1. Garlicaholics unite!

2. Belinda @zomppa says:

I adore knots like this – I would stuff myself with these first and forget the meal!

3. Rachel @ Baked by Rachel says:

They look fantastic! I'm with you… more garlic is almost always better. I keep meaning to make garlic knots again – this makes me want to run into the kitchen to do just that.

The rolls look gorgeous and I am with you – more garlic is always better:-)

5. A little bit of everything says:

wow Carolyn, they turned out so good. They're making me hungry.
    Glad to see you managed to adapt it to your diet.
    thanks for trusting my recipe.
    hope you'll have a wonderful day (with those rolls handy mine would be much better)

6. I love how you took that recipe and made it your own. I'm a garlic lover too so I would definitely take your advice on this! :)

7. Beloved Green says:

Garlic, garlic, garlic, yea for garlic! I am dreaming they will appear at my desk for lunch.

8. Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes says:

Oh. My. Goodness.

These look absolutely fantastic!!

Your photography is gorgeous and I love that these rolls are savory.

Thank you so much for the recipe and post!!

9. I think I could live off of garic and butter! LOL!! Great post. I will have to try these. ♥- Katrina

10. Day-Dreamin' Optimist says:

These look divine!! Hizzah for garlic and all of its yumminess!!

11. I am right there with you on the garlic. LOVE love LOVE it!! These rolls look scrumptious!

12. Carolyn, these look wonderful!! So glad you found a recipe that works for you, because garlic rolls are something no one should live without. :) Yum, yum!!

13. Kathleen says:

These look off the charts ah-mazing!

14. Anonymous says:

These would go perfect with some chili or a bowl of spaghetti! They look gorgeous.. I would eat at least 3.. defeating the low-carb

15. Evan @swEEts says:

These would go perfect with a bowl of chili or spaghetti! I would easily eat 3, defeating the purpose of low carb :)

16. stephchows says:

oh man do those look garlicky good!!! wish I had a few here… although maybe it's better that I don't, I'd eat them all!

17. One word..got to make this asap!!!
    Looks fantastic, and pretty and soooo tasty! Nicely done!!

18. All That's Left Are The Crumbs says:

Your garlic and herb rolls look so inviting. I love garlic too and add it wherever I can. We have a restaurant here called Ninniku-Ya Garlic Restaurant and I love their garlic ice cream.

19. These look so good! I am also a huge fan of garlic. My husband and I go through so much; I am constantly buying it at the store.

20. These look so good! I am also a huge fan of garlic. My husband and I go through so much; I am constantly buying it at the store.

21. scratch-made wife says:

Garlicaholic, ha! That's great. I'm definitely a member of that club. And the husband absolutely adores all things bread, so I'm sure these would go over well in our house. I'm not sure why I never thought to roll them up like cinnamon rolls. What a great idea!

22. Angela@RecipesFromMyMom says:

All these need is a little schmear of cream cheese. Oh yeah!

23. I am such a carb lover, anything bread related sounds perfect! These look so full of flavor, and happiness:)
    Take care,
    Terra

looks wonderful lovely version

25. Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Having says:

Sometimes I wonder if my love of garlic is the reason I'm single. Then I think "could I really be with a man who doesn't love garlic as much as I do?"
    These rolls look fantastic. I will definitely try them :)

26. Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels says:

What gorgeous garlic and herb rolls! I'll take a dozen of them please. :)

27. How beautiful! I love these spiraled gems~

28. Kate @ Diethood.com says:

Warm deliciousness! Wow… your rolls put a smile on my face… they look amazing!

29. briarrose says:

Yummy….I too love the garlic….onions too for that matter. Wonderful rolls.

30. Kimberly says:

Oh those are right up my alley… Seriously! I too am a hardcore garlic lover, I can't wait to try these!!

31. The Addicted Baker says:

I wish these could be faxed to me :) they look great!

32. A SPICY PERSPECTIVE says:

Confession time. I have a weird obsession with garlic–particularly the smell. One of my students once asked me how to get the smell of garlic off her hands, to which I replied,"Why would you want to do that!?!"

Needless to say these are right up my alley. :)

33. Just One Cookbook says:

Hmm looks yummy! You have a lot of good recipes and I have to check them out! Now I won't miss your site since I became your fan. :-)

34. Lisa {Authentic Suburban Gourmet } says:

These look absolutely stunning! Anything with garlic – delish! I wish I had two or three right now.

35. Umm Mymoonah says:

I love the smell of garlic and herbs when baking, rolls looks gorgeous.

36. Garlic is a serious favorite of mine and I love the smell of it. These garlic rolls are too adorable! I'm so glad you were able to make them low carb!

37. Sue @ All About Food says:

Oh, yes, bring on the garlic. The more, the better. I've never used carbalose flour. In fact, haven't heard of it. I will look for it and definitely make these rolls. Found your blog through foodgawker and so glad I did. I will be checking in regularly.

Anything with garlic in a recipe and I'm sold. I've even had garlic ice cream at a garlic festival once. These rolls look so delicious and would be perfect with a bowl of soup. I bet the smell of them baking is incredible. Yummy!

39. Medifast Coupon Code 2011 says:

These look great, yeah bring on the garlic, the more the better. And I would try the butter on top too I think, maybe even part way through the baking giving them a bit of a butter wash.

40. kitchenarian says:

I am a pretty heavy duty garlic eater and these are calling me. Thanks for the recipe.

41. Jill Colonna says:

At first glance thought they were pain aux raisins. GARLIC and serious, too, if you're a garlic-holic!
    I first discovered Italian garlic bread in Scotland and my parents told me next day I should never touch that stuff again. So I married a Frenchman and we eat garlic together. Sounds like your hubbie and the boursin! :-)

42. Wilde in the Kitchen says:

I am a garlic addict as well, but I figure if everyone eats it, no one sticks out! Love the rolls, they look so fluffy!

43. oh my these sound good!

44. sara @ CaffeIna says:

I bookmarked Roxana's recipe too. Yours look amazing too! Now I'm even more motivated to try these rolls

45. Nisa Homey says:

Hi Carolyn, first time here and loved going through your wonderful space…..your garlic rolls looks so tempting….check out mine http://nisahomey.blogspot.com/2010/12/garlic-breadrollsthe-easy-way-no-egg.html..have a wonderful weekend.

46. Carolyn your garlic rolls look perfect! Like you, I love garlic and think there is never enough in a dish. Thankfully my husband enjoys it equally, this way we are always "stinky" together ;o)

47. Oh yeah, Im down with that garlic addiction and I think we have enough people here to start a counseling group.

These rolls look delicious.

48. I've bookmarked these, they sound great!

49. thecoffeebreak says:

These are perfect for afternoon snack!Yumm!

50. These look great! Would have tasted so good with the Lasagna Bowls I just posted this morning!

51. Would it be weird if I made those right now for breakfast? They look so delicious!

52. Anonymous says:

Hi,

I don't have any Carbalose flour, but I do have Carbquik. Do you think I can substitute that in place of the Carbalose flour?

Thanks,

Cindy

53. Hi Cindy. I've never used carbquick but my understanding is that it's a little like Bisquick so it already has leavener (baking powder) and some added fats in it. I don't know how it would respond as a yeast bread. Try googling it and see if you can find any one who's used it for a yeast bread, and if they have, then go for it!

54. Sharron Timmins says:

Hmmm, never heard of Carbalose flour. Where would I find it – and, is it wheat/gluten free? I notice the recipe calls for some sort of wheat gluten ingredient. Do you have a GF version of this?

Thanks,