Spicy Dill Refrigerator Pickles (Secret Recipe Club)

Ever noticed how time seems to go by faster and faster the older you get? Why is that? Is it because the older we get, the more responsibilities we take on and the less time we have for just being? Time seemed so slow when I was a child, and summer seemed lazy and long. But not anymore. June just whizzed by and now summer seems like it’s almost over. Back-to-school items are popping up in stores already, and July is half gone. I can hardly keep up! So it took me by surprise to find that it’s already time for another round of the Secret Recipe Club. That one snuck up on me.

Fortunately, I long ago made my secret recipe. I was assigned another blog that was heretofore unknown to me, which is just as I like it. This one is called Flamingo Musings, and according to her tagline, she does everything! She cooks, bakes, cans, gardens, reviews and promotes causes, so you can see how you might get very lost in her blog for days on end. I easily could have, but was fortunate to land on the very recipe I wanted to make the first time I visited her blog. It was fate, it was destiny, it was kismet.

See, I had an overabundance of dill in my garden that was starting to go to seed. I bought some pickling cucumbers, thinking that might be a way to use some up. But I just wasn’t getting around to it, I kept leaving them in the fridge, checking every so often that they weren’t rotting away in there. When I checked out Flamingo Musings blog, the very first post I saw was for Spicy Garlic Cucumber Pickles. It was exactly the kick in the pants I needed, and I got to it that every afternoon. I did, however, make some changes. Her pickles look wonderful and I’d love to try them her way exactly sometime. However, I didn’t want to go through the whole process of canning, just for one or two jars of pickles. And I’d had such good luck with my Green Tomato Pickles back in October, I thought I’d go easy on myself and just do a refrigerator version of her Spicy Pickles.

I made a few other changes as well, to accommodate the items I had on hand. I had more pickling cucumbers than she did, for one thing, so I made 1 1/2 quarts (or 3 pints, however you want to say it). I had no pickling salt, so I went with kosher and added quite a bit more of it. I had a jalapeno on hand, so I subbed that in for the serrano chili. I had ground coriander, so that went in for the coriander seeds. And finally, I had all this dill, but no dill seeds…so I plopped the dill fronds in place of the seed. And finally, I decided to slice my cucumbers into 1/4 inch lengthwise slices, so that they’d make good sandwich pickles, the perfect shape to top burgers and other sandwiches. It also made it easier to really get them packed into the jar.

The Results: As long as pickling cukes are readily available, I am not sure I would ever buy storebought pickles again. These were a huge hit with the whole family, and they were SO easy to make, no canner required. They were crisp, and had a great kick to them that got more intense the longer they stayed in the brine. The best part is, you can easily customize this recipe to your liking, kicking up the heat or toning it down, adding more garlic or more dill, whatever. They were so good, and I’ve already bought my second round of pickling cucumbers from the farmer’s market, ready to go. My kids were so excited to see them sitting on the counter, because they knew it meant more homemade pickles!

I did find I had a little too much brine for the jars I had. I also found that the pickles got better with age…the first one I tried wasn’t quite as flavourful as the ones a few days later.

Spicy Dill Refrigerator Pickles

1 1/2 to 2 lbs pickling cucumbers (5-6 medium cukes)
1 jalapeno pepper, quartered
2 cloves garlic, quartered
2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
1 1/2 tsp whole black peppercorns
1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup kosher salt

Wash cucumbers and slice lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices. Arrange cucumbers in 1 quart jar and 1 pint jar (or 3 pint jars). Divide jalapeno, garlic, dill, peppercorns and coriander between jars.

In a medium saucepan, bring vinegars, water and salt to a boil, stirring to dissolve most of the salt. Divide brine among jars, almost to the top (no worry about leaving headspace here, these are refrigerator pickes. Fill ‘er up!). Screw on jar lids.

Leave jars on kitchen counter for at least 3 days. After that, refrigerate. They can be eaten after the three day mark but the flavour will continue to develop so you can certainly leave them longer in the fridge before eating.

They will last several months in the fridge. My Green Tomato Pickles were good from last October up until I finished them this past May!

Comments

1. Wonderful selection, Carolyn!!!

2. I love pickles! These look great, and I bet they do get better with time.

I've always wanted to make pickles! My summer is flying too, I wish it would slow down a bit!

4. RJ Flamingo says:

Great variation on my pickle recipe! I'm going to do slices next time, myself. They're so versatile!

5. I've never pickled anything and this is such a great recipe! Thanks for sharing :)

You picked a great recipe to try. I love pickles and this sounds like a recipe I need to try. Yummy! Wish time would slow down a little. Since becoming a mommy I have realized just how quickly time flies especially with having a daily routine.

7. You picked a great recipe – looks good! Love the idea of the SRC!

8. Mmmm! Pickles are one of my favorite foods! I can see these pickles cozying up with my burger very soon! Thanks for sharing!

9. Rachel @ Baked by Rachel says:

Huge dill pickle fan but I've never tried making them myself. I love how recipes like this you can adjust to your liking even more so than other items.

10. spcookiequeen says:

I wish I had a jar of these to bring along. Want to take my place, please, please, lol. I tried commenting on this last night but it wouldn't let me for some reason. Have a great week, will catch up soon.
    -Gina-

11. Sanjeeta kk says:

This is something I have never heard before..love the use of Dill here!

12. I see many time this type of pickle in market but never try ur one is home made is great…… really nice recipe thanks for sharing this.

13. I absolutely love pickles, and this is perfect recipe..fantastic pictures Carolyn!!! (My mouth is watering!:))

14. Tiffany says:

Time totally goes by tooooooooo quickly! And can you believe, I ONLY like dill in pickles. Dill (like rosemary) is just one of those herbs that I can't get down with. But in a pickle…. yes, please!

15. Pam @ From Apples To Zucchini says:

I canned dill pickles for the first time last year and was so sad when I ran out of them! There was no comparison to store bought ones, I agree! I canned twice as many this year : ) Yours looks wonderful!

16. amanda @ fake ginger says:

I love love love refrigerator pickles! You get all the fun of making pickles without having to boil jars or any of that. Your pickles look fantastic!

17. The Harried Cook says:

I've never made pickles at home! These look and sound super tasty! Great selection, and great job with this one! :) Thanks for sharing…

18. Jeanette says:

Carolyn,
    I know what you mean about the summer just flying by! Great choice for this month's event and I like all the substitutions you made, such a versatile recipe – your pickles look amazing!

19. Danielle says:

These look so so good! I'm almost out of the awesome jalapeno pickles we bought at a food festival a few months back, but now it looks like I have a replacement recipe. Yay!

20. RavieNomNoms says:

I am such a fan of dill pickles. They are one of my favorite snacks when I used to come home from school…okay, so maybe when I come home from work I do the same thing now. Hehe ;-)

I really love this recipe, thank you so much for sharing it Carolyn! I am for sure going to give it a go…

21. Yum! Sounds good!! I hate to admit it, but pickles are something I would have NEVER though of trying to make myself :)

22. I love homemade pickles – and the spiciness of this one is very appealing!

23. janet@cupcakestocaviar says:

Beautiful looking pickles and a great way to use up some excess dill I have too. Thanks!

24. I love all your tweaks to this pickle recipe, and would absolutely try it your way! Great SRC choice, Carolyn.

25. Kimberly says:

These sound delicious! Can't wait to try them!

26. Cassie @ Bake Your Day says:

I am bookmarking this! My husband loves pickles and he will be thrilled if we make them homemade!

27. scratch-made wife says:

Wow. You just really made me miss my grandma with this post! She makes pickles every summer and I just loooove them. I really need to learn how to make them myself. You make it sound so easy!

28. Perfect summer dish!!!

29. I love how easy these are to put together. I've tried my hand at roasted bell peppers and jalapenos but not cucumbers yet. I see that changing very soon!

30. I have been pulling so many cukes from our garden, I'll have to give this recipe a go.

If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC recipe this month: Holy Guacamole.

Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

31. Hi Carolyn! I am always looking for a good pickle recipe… and refrigerator pickles, even easier! I hope you are well…. Megan

32. Stephanie says:

I like to think a pickle a day keeps the doctor away. Great post. I really want to try to preserve something this summer. I have never done it. Thanks for the inspiration.

33. Diane {Created by Diane} says:

I LOVE pickles and will have to give these a try!

34. Angela@RecipesFromMyMom says:

This is just the recipe I need to slow down the summer and encourage a little patience with our food. Love how the pickles get better the longer you wait.

35. Yum! These look awesome…I usually heat-seal my pickles; will have to try the refrigerator method, since they never last long enough around me to warrant sealing anyway. These look like they'd go especially fast…

36. Emily @ Life on Food says:

I want to start canning this summer. But like you, my time seems to be flying out the window. Where did June go?

I love pickles and I love the fact there is no canner required for this. Will have to try it out before the summer is officially over.

37. these look great! i've never made pickles before, but we love them.

38. Marla {family fresh cooking} says:

So fun to be in the SRC with you….loving these pickles & yes time is speeding up as I get older.

39. BigFatBaker says:

Sounds so fun and delicious! I have never made pickles, but both my Mom and BF love them so it looks like I need to get on it! Thanks for such a great summer recipe :)

40. Parsley Sage says:

I'm glad you resigned yourself to your pickly fate :) These turned out lovely! My husband loves pickles but I'm always a little leery of the store bought ones. I think that problem is now solved! Buzzed

41. Cookin' Canuck says:

I remember my parents commenting on how "time flies" when I was a kid. Now I know exactly what they mean!

I would love to find a jar or two of these pickles in my fridge.

42. Roxana GreenGirl says:

I love pickles but I;ve never canned anything. Unfortunately i'm the only one in my family that eats pickles and just don't find the energy to make just for me. Maybe … one day …

43. Jennifer (Savor) says:

We are going to try canning pickles this week! Love me the SRC. Come on by to see what I made

44. Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen} says:

Oh wow! I just love this! LOVE it! I could polish ff a jar pretty quickly I think. My grandfather made pickles. I haven't had homemade in about 20 years.

45. briarrose says:

So easy to customize these….they look perfect.

46. Yum! I love your choice! Super delicious!!!

47. claire gallam says:

I LOVE PICKLES!!

48. Thanks for posting this. I was looking for a refrig dill pickle recipe but I'm going to use zucchini instead – and SPICY dills are even better!! SRC is a fantastic resource to meet up with other foodies.

49. Chef Dennis says:

what a wonderful entry for the SRC, my wife loves pickles and I think even I can make these! Thanks for the easy directions for this tasty creation!

50. Delishhh says:

WOW – i would love some of these! This looks fabulous. Nice work on the Secret Recipe Club. Isn't it fun. I love finding new blogs and reading through them.

51. Adora's Box says:

This looks like the real deal, Carolyn. I hope I can find the cucumbers for these. We are seriously deprived of REAL cooking ingredients in our area.

52. Kim - Liv Life says:

I'm not a pickle fan, but my husband adores them! How happy would he be with me if I presented him some that I made myself??? Love it Carolyn! Thanks for introducing me to the SRC… I'm loving it!

53. Cake Duchess says:

Something I really, really like is homemade pickles. I'm happy you got to "meet" Renee through the SRC. These look delicious:)

54. Hester Casey - Alchemy in the Kitchen says:

Thanks for the introduction to another great blog. Love these refrigerator pickels and your photos are wonderful. Looking forward to my next visit already!

55. Kate@Diethood says:

Oh they sound so good! I grew up on canned/pickled everything and anything… my mom's pantry is always packed with jars and jars of pickled peppers, pickles, tomatoes, cauliflower, etc…

P.S. When you find out where the time went, please let me know 'cause I can't find it, either.

56. Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels says:

I am sooo excited about this recipe, I am pickle obsessed. I've never made my own pickles before but can't wait to make these. :)

pickle looks wonderful easy to make

58. I am a diehard pickle fan. This recipe is going in my favourites – I can't wait to try it! :)

59. oooooo these sound soooo delicious!! I can't wait to try them out. I love that you don't have to use a canner. Thanks so much for sharing (and for your kind comments on my blog!).

60. Whatcha Makin' Now? says:

I've never done pickles – looked scary. But you made it look fun! Not to mention all links to other awesome recipes! Thanks!

61. I'd love to try making my own pickles. Thanks for posting!

Glad to be part of SRC with you!

Amy @ A Little Nosh

62. Anne @ Quick and Easy Cheap and Healthy says:

I just made refrigerator pickles for the first time this year, too. I LOVE them! Didn't used to be a huge pickle fan, but suddenly I'm craving them.

63. These look so awesome Carolyn! I have featured this post today on SRC http://secretrecipeclub.com/spicy-dill-refrigerator-pickles-all-day-i-dream-about-food/

64. Veronica says:

Wow, FABULOUS pictures and the recipe sound delish. I love that it is so simple and that I have everything to make it. Usually pickle recipes call for things I don't have so I just don't make them. I have to try these!

65. I'll have to try this recipe – I just made bread and butter pickles for the first time but would love to make some dill pickles too! thanks for sharing.

66. i made these, and overall the brine is pretty good, w/the exception that it is way too much salt. these will wind up in the trash, but i can adjust the next batch to be much less salty. thanks for the recipe and the idea.

1. [...] A couple months ago, not sure what spurred me, but decided to see if it was easy to make pickles. Turns out, yes, it’s boil some vinegar, cut up some stuff and chuck it in a jar easy. To clarify, these are refrigerator pickles, not pressure canned type stuff. I turned to ye olde trusty online searching and found a variety of recipes but none that appealed as much as this one from All Day I Dream About Food, Spicy Dill Refrigerator Pickles (Secret Recipe Club). [...]

2. […] See Carolyn’s recipe for Spicy Dill Refrigerator Pickles […]