Tiramisu Cookies (Low Carb and Gluten Free)

Summer is over, fall is here, and it is time for the September edition of The Secret Recipe Club. I couldn’t participate last month because of our family vacation, but I really do enjoy this monthly event. And The Secret Recipe Club has become so popular and has so many members that we’ve been split into three separate groups. I am part of Group A…obviously the best group of the bunch, being the first, the alpha, the top dog! And this month, I was charged with creating a recipe inspired by a blog called Parsley, Sage, Desserts and Line Drives. Now if that’s not an interesting blog name, I don’t know what is! It’s written by Lisa, and her tagline is “a whole lot of food with a side of baseball”. Well, doesn’t she sound like a nice, approachable sort of blogger?

And then I took a look at her recipes and I was floored. When it comes to pastries and desserts, this woman is good. And by that I mean CRAZY good. I have to confess, I was fairly intimidated by her creations, many of which are quite elaborate, with multiple steps and moving parts. Okay, I made that up about the moving parts, but her cakes are tremendous and have several layers, each with their own special texture and flavour. For example, in her recipe index I was immediately drawn to a recipe called Green Tea-Pistachio Mousse Cakes. But when I clicked on it, I knew instantly that I could never recreate such a gorgeous concoction. It had so many different elements and I’d never have the time or the patience to do them all. I considered just making the matcha-flavoured mousse, but compared to her creation, it just seemed so….boring.

I rifled through her blog many a time, wondering what I could make that was a little simpler that I could also adapt into a low carb treat. Because although I do some conventional baking for the rest of my family, I do like to partake of the goodies too. And I kept coming back to a recipe that isn’t actually posted on her blog, although she did make it herself and linked to it. The original is from the Domino Sugar website. The name, and Lisa’s photos, sold me. Tiramisu cookies, a chocolate sandwich cookie with not one, but two fillings: mascarpone and chocolate, both with a hint of coffee in them. How could I resist? I was fairly certain that I could make a decent low carb version of the cookie and the chocolate filling, and thankfully mascarpone is low carb anyway. And the rules of the SRC are simply to make something from our assignee’s blog, with our own twists or adaptations as we see fit. For these cookies, I saw fit.

The Results: These were really, really good. But…there had to be a “but” in there, right? They just didn’t taste as much like real tiramisu as I had been hoping. Tiramisu is a lovely, light-textured dessert that tastes of coffee and mascarpone with a hint of chocolate. These cookies, although delicious, tasted mostly of chocolate. And I don’t think it was my low carb modifications that was the culprit here, as I tried to keep the proportions of flavours similar to the original recipe. The mascarpone, which has such a lovely sweet flavour on it’s own, was almost entirely lost and overtaken by the chocolate. And I really couldn’t get much of a sense of the coffee flavouring either. (Let me reiterate that although I found the inspiration on Lisa’s blog, this was not her recipe originally).

As my husband said, if he hadn’t known that they were supposed to be tiramisu-flavoured, he would have just thought that they were really delicious sandwich cookies. And my kids loved them, which is always a plus. So I can definitely recommend them overall. But here’s what I would do next time: Because there is chocolate in the cookie, I would skip the cocoa in chocolate filling and just flavour it with coffee. I also might consider increasing the mascarpone filling to allow it to come through a little more. But I will give you the recipe as is, and you can make the changes you see fit.

And can I recommend heading on over to Parsley, Sage, Desserts and Line Drives? You won’t regret it, she is a master at elaborate desserts!

Tiramisu Cookies

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Mascarpone Filling:
4 oz mascarpone cheese
1 tbsp coffee liqueur, such as Kahlua
Chocolate Filling:
1/3 cup powdered erythritol
2 tsp cocoa powder (omit if you want more coffee flavour)
2 tsp strong-brewed coffee

For the cookies, preheat the oven to 325F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and xanthan gum. Break up any clumps with the back of a fork.

In a large bowl, cream butter with erythritol until fluffy. Add the egg, vanilla and stevia and beat until just combined. Add almond flour mixture in two additions, beating after each.

Roll spoonfuls of dough into 3/4 inch balls and flatten with palms to 1/4 inch thickness. Bake cookies 10 minutes or until slightly puffed and firm to the touch. Remove from oven and let cool on pan.

For the mascarpone filling, stir coffee liqueur into cheese and whisk until thoroughly combined.

For the chocolate filling, combine ingredients and whisk until combined.

To assemble, spread the bottom of one chocolate cookie with the mascarpone filling and another with the chocolate filling. Press together to make a sandwich. Repeat with remaining cookies. Chill in refrigerator 2o minutes to set fillings.

Makes 12 cookies. Each cookie has 6.3g of carbs and 3g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 3.2g

Comments

1. Foodiva says

Whatever these cookies tasted like, they should be called only one thing – DEEELICIOUS! I really must check out the blog you were assigned, she sure sounds interesting….and I do like elaborate desserts!

2. RJ Flamingo says

Well, I think you did a terrific job with these, and your proposed modifications sound spot-on. I'm always for boosting the coffee quotient! ;-)

3. Lisa says

I'm so blushy and flattered by your sweet comments, and I totally agree thet the tiramisu cookies did not taste at all like tiramisu, but were a good basic chocolate sandwich cookie. I think I mentioned that in the post, but not sure, will have to look. In any event, they look great and I love that you made them gluten-free. Glad to discover your blog! You have some mad, delicious skills yourself :)

4. Ginny says

Yum! I love it when I see things come full circle: the author of Parsley, Sage, Desserts, and Line Drives was assigned to my blog.

These look incredible. Great photos!

Ginny

5. Pretend Chef says

These sound so delicious and look like a great sandwich cookie. Great SRC pick. I'd like to start making elaborate desserts with success. I'm a bit intimidated at the moment.

6. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. says

Oi, tiramisu is one of my greatest weaknesses! And now you've put into a cookie and made it low-carb?! I love it!

7. Erin says

The cookies look great! I am not a coffee fan, so I think I might like these cookies as is!
    Send me an email – you were the winner of my giveaway! Need your address, and I will get it in the mail!

8. Karen says

I have never been the biggest tiramisu fan, so maybe these would be perfect for me! They do look like fantastic sandwich cookies, no matter what.

9. S.V. says

I will have to try these…. my husband loves tiramisu but I don't like the texture. This maybe the happy medium for both of us. :)

10. Becka (The Elegant Eggplant) says

These look SO good. A tiramisu bar just opened near my bf's apt in NYC and they have NUTELLA TIRAMISU. It is sooo good!!

11. The Mom Chef says

Bravo on your choice, though I'd have loved to see that pistachio mousse cakes. I wonder if it would have been better if you'd have used your own version of a ladyfinger cookie sandwiching the chocolate and mascarpone. That sounds more like the real deal.

I'll have to go check out the baseball blogger. :)

12. judee@glutenfreeA-Z says

I love that you made these gluten free! I can't wait to try them. The pistachio mousse sounds good, but I probably would have been intimidated with it too. Cookies and filling I can do. Great choice.

13. Peggy says

great choice for SRC! These cookies sound amazing – bummer that they didn't taste as much like tiramisu as you'd hoped – but that just gives you reason to make them again, right? =)

14. Cassie @ Bake Your Day says

Tiramisu is definitely my favorite dessert and these cookies sound like a perfect match! The texture looks amazing, I can't believe they are low carb!

15. Kari says

Goodness – that you felt intimidated really says something! I will be checking out that blog though, albeit (I suspect) as a daydreaming site rather than a recipe ideas one :)

For your part, these look very impressive, and very delicious.

16. Foodness Gracious says

Very well put! Umm I think you might want to go back and check group C, this is definetely the more superior group of the bunch…yes I am in group C :)

Take care..

17. thelittleloaf says

Your cookies look gorgeous – even if they're not quite the real tiramisu deal. As you say, if you didn't know it was meant to be tiramisu, they'd be absolutely delicious! Thanks for making me aware of PSDLD blog too – it's fab, if a little daunting in its brilliance :-)

18. Katherine Martinelli says

Oh man you had me at tiramisu anything – but sandwiched in a cookie? And low carb and gluten-free? Yes please!

19. meettheswans.com says

Tiramisu Cookies sound amazing… and I'm sure they're delicious even if they aren't quite like the original dessert!

20. Finding Avocadoland says

I remember when I was 12 years old or so I tried to make tiramisu for my parents… I'm pretty sure I just poured a bottle of Kaluha into a glass full of cake. They pretended to love it :) I will for sure be making this recipe!

21. Megan says

HI Carolyn – I love this secret recipe club thing you've got going on…and the cookies are to die for. I want to live at your house and taste all of your goodies! I also checked out the matcha pistachio dessert number and oh my my! You weren't kidding!

22. chefpandita.com says

mmm even if they didn't taste much like tiramisu I wouldn't complain about chocolate flavor :) love how your recipes are always low carb and overall healthy!

23. kita says

Parsley, Sage, Desserts and Line Drives is an amazing blog with beautiful recipes! I think you did an awesome job with your SRC post!

24. Island Vittles says

how delicious do these look? AMAZING! I don't know how I missed these until today…perhaps is because I'm only in lowly group B of the SRC ;) Theresa

25. Cara says

Yum! I happen to have some extra ricotta kickin' around, so these may be in order (so I guess I might end up with something more appropriately called coffee-cocoa cannoli cookies, but that sounds just as divine, right?)

26. Shelby says

I love tiramisu so much that is what I have requested for my birthday cake at work in a couple weeks! I'm sorry this didn't taste so much like it because its a great concept! I'm definitely off to check out her blog!

27. ButterYum says

What a great post, and I'm so appreciative of your honest review of these cookies. The title sure got my attention, but I'll have to make a note of your suggestions if I ever make them.

I eager to do my first SRC on Monday – hope you'll stop by for a visit.

ButterYum

28. scratch-made wife says

Tiramisu is my favorite dessert in the whole world. I'm sure your little cookies are amazing, even if they don't taste exactly like tiramisu. They look great to me!