Diet Coke Cake (Reduced Sugar)

Hello, dear readers. As you read this, I am heading off on a much-needed, completely unplugged family vacation. I have no access to access to the internet whatsoever, and although the very thought makes me twitchy, I have promised my husband that I will not dream about food or my blog all day. But I have left you in very good hands, as I have asked three of my favourite bloggers to cover for me. Not all of them are necessarily low carb or gluten free bloggers, and I gave them free reign to post whatever sort of recipe they chose. But I was so very touched to find that each one of them tried, in their own way, to create something that was lower carb and healthier than the typical sugar-filled treats, to fit with the overall theme of my blog.

My first guest is Katrina and I heart Katrina and her blog, In Katrina’s Kitchen. Most of her posts are filled with delectable sweets and I’ve heard her called an evil genius for some of her decadent creations. That she may be, but she is also one of the sweetest bloggers I have ever met, always ready to give you a shout out or send a sweet word your way. Please welcome her and enjoy her post!

Hi! I’m Katrina from In Katrina’s Kitchen! You’ll usually find me in the kitchen baking up something sweet for my house full of boys. I’ll just come right out and say it…I was SO nervous to be posting here on Carolyn’s delicious blog. Not only is she a fabulous blogger and amazing in the photography department, but Carolyn is super-talented at making tasty low carb treats (as you know), and I’m…well…not. I tried my best for you. And these Diet Coke Cake Bites pack a lot of chocolaty flavor in an itty bitty package. I hope you like them!

I am not the inventor of Coke Cake (obviously- or else I’d be rich and would have fancy stock in Coca-Cola, or something else that rich people have), but I have been wanting to play with this recipe for a long while. I know a few lot of people who are obsessed with Diet Coke so I thought it would be fun to switch things up a bit from the norm. I used the classic Coke Cake recipe and made these substitutions: I swapped wheat flour for all-purpose flour, Diet Coke for Coke, canola oil for vegetable oil, and Stevia in the Raw for sugar. **Stevia in the Raw is my friend because it measures cup for cup the same as sugar.** This is good because I pretty much abandoned math like and old boyfriend in college and I’ve never looked back. This is also good because I cannot handle simple tasks while baking with my boys on a day-to-day basis, let alone complicated things like ratios and conversions. More on this later.

I was pleased with the outcome. A huge, delicious baking sheet full of chocolate deliciousness is not very diabetic-friendly however. So I thought bite-sized pieces would help us all out in the portion-control department. Oh and just so you know this recipe is apparently idiot-proof. Remember when I said I can’t handle simple, everyday tasks with a baby on my hip and a Hot Wheels car in my hand? Well I accidentally swapped baking powder for baking soda. Everything came out okay thankfully because I may or may not have squeezed a lime into the remaining Diet Coke.

Here is the recipe printed with my substitutions. The original recipe can be printed from The Coca-Cola Company.

{Diet} Coke Cake

• ½ cup butter
• 3 Tablespoons cocoa
• 6 Tablespoons Diet Coke
• 1 16oz bag powdered sugar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In the bowl of your mixer sift together Stevia and flour. Add marshmallows.
3. In a saucepan mix butter, oil, cocoa, and Diet Coke. Bring to a boil and pour over dry ingredients; combine until smooth and marshmallows are melted.
4. Dissolve baking soda in buttermilk just before adding to the batter. Add eggs and vanilla, mixing well.
5. Pour into a well-greased 9×13 baking dish and bake 35 minutes. Let cool, cut into small circles or squares.
6. Assemble frosting: Combine butter, cocoa, and Diet Coke in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and pour over powdered sugar. Stir until smooth. Add vanilla extract and then pour over cake pieces.

**This recipe made a HUGE amount of glaze. I would suggest halving the glaze recipe if you are making the cake into bite-sized pieces.

That’s it folks! I hope you’ll stop by my kitchen and introduce yourself; I would love to meet you! Carolyn did a guest post for me while I was on vacation this past summer: Carmelitas – you won’t be disappointed!

Comments

1. Baker Street says:

Great to see Katrina over here! The cake looks absolutely divine!

Lovely guest post!

2. Roxana GreenGirl says:

I love Katrina too and have been thinking for a while to make coke cakes. These mini bites are so cute!
    Wonderful guest post Katrina, enjoy your vacation Carolyn!

3. amanda @ fake ginger says:

I loooove my Diet Coke so these are perfect for me. Once, a long time ago, some friends tried to tell me that you shouldn't heat diet sodas because of all the chemicals (my counter argument was "but it had to have been heated when it was made!" in my whiniest voice) so I've been scared to make diet cakes since then. But you're still alive after making some so I'm going go try again. ;)

Sorry that was so long.

4. Carolyn, hope you have a fabulous holiday! It's wonderful to be unplugged for a while…and you've left us in good hands :)

Katrina, your Diet Coke cakes and glaze look AMAZING! Who wouldn't want to try these…especially with the reduced calories? YUM!

5. These look so good and what a greatg idea to make minis!

6. alison @ Ingredients, Inc. says:

my mouth is watering

7. BigBearswife says:

ooo Katrina!! I can't wait to give this a try! I've heard so many ppl talk about Coke Cake, but never made it

Totally unplugged. I'd be twitching too. You definitely left your blog in good hands!

Katrina, that Diet Coke Cake is wonderful. I am a Diet Coke addict so it's nice to see that used instead of the regular Coke for once. Thanks for taking on Carolyn's blog (I'd have been nervous too).

9. These look wonderful! Great substitutions to try to make them fit Carolyn's blog! She is one talented girl when it comes to that! I almost made Diet Coke Cupcakes this summer, now I am going to have to give it a try!

10. RavieNomNoms says:

Well hello Katrina! The cake looks fabulous! What an interesting cake..love it

11. Wow, these look fabulous! This healthier version looks just as decadent and delicious as the original. Great post and great job, Katrina!

12. SweetSugarBelle says:

Hi Katrina! I saved this one! Gonna try it for sure!

13. Cassie//Bake Your Day says:

Great post, Katrina! Love Diet Coke Cake (who doesn't right?)! I love your healthy substitutions to this!

14. Delicious recipe and great guest post. Love the ingredients-yum!

15. Cookin' Canuck says:

Katrina, those little cakes look wonderful and I love the healthy twist you put on them.

16. Katrina,
    You can calm down now! You did a wonderful job with the guest post. I love the fact that these little bites are low sugar,and they look delicious. I could have one for my guilty pleasure.

Carolyn,
    Relax and enjoy your "unplugged vacation".

Great guest post from Katrina! Those little cakes look delicious.

Carolyn- have an amazing vacation!!

18. Simply wonderful little cakes! :)

19. I never heard of such a thing! Coke Cake! Hmmmm, amazing. I wonder if it would work equally well with Diet Pepsi. I'll have to try this out someday.

20. I've never tried coke cake, but I've seen them around enough to make me wonder what it tastes like. I imagine it has an interesting flavour. Great guest post!

21. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen says:

Nice to see Katrina here! I feel silly that I've never heard of a coke cake before but it looks great.

22. Curry and Comfort says:

This looks like such a rich and decadent dessert.. but it's low sugar! I love that!! Great recipe.

23. Mighty Morgan says:

I followed Katrina here! Which I am SOOOOOOOO happy about because I myself am currently leaning back towards a lower carb lifestyle and I always can use inspiration in the recipe department.
    Hope you have a great vacation!

24. I've never had coke (or 7-up, or any soda) cake, but I'd definitely want to try it! And yours look amazing!

25. Thanks for sharing your recipe! They look to die for!

26. Beautiful cakes Katrina! And congrats on your book news Caroline!! Have a great vacation!

27. Jen at The Three Little Piglets says:

Have a great time on your vacation! Great guest post – sometimes you just can't beat a classic.

28. Carolyn – Hope you're enjoying your vacation. With great guest posters like this, no need to worry about the blog!
    Katrina – These little cakes look divine! Love the glaze…I need a spoon!

29. Rachel C - thinladysings says:

There is a great brand of coke made with stevia and erythritol called Zevia. It tastes very much like diet coke… would be a good sub if you don't eat artificial sweeteners. Looks good! Nothing like a coca-cola cake!

30. This is a terrific cake! Enjoy your vacation!

31. mensajes claro says:

Thanks for sharing your recipe! They look to die for!