Soup-soup-a-doop, soup-a-doopa-doopa-doup

Have I just totally dated myself with that title? Did you catch the reference at all? I’d like to tell you that this song was popular when I was in elementary school, but I would be lying. It was a hit when I was quite a bit older. Like university-student older. Oh well. It’s just what this post wanted to title itself, I really had no choice. Every time I thought of doing a soup round-up, this little ditty popped into my head. So there you have it. I am old and I am a slave to my blog.

The time seems ripe for a soup round-up because it is suddenly, irrevocably, unequivocally soup weather now. See, we went away on our vacation when New England was still seeing temperatures in the high 60’s and low 70’s. We were only gone for a week, but when we came back, we were greeted by cold, wet weather. Two days after we arrived home, it snowed. SNOWED! The leaves are still on the trees, and there is snow on the ground. It’s very disconcerting, and the only remedy for it is soup. Soup, soup and lots of it…warm and comforting, just the thing to take the chill out of your bones. Especially when you turn on the heat for the first time this fall and discover that the heater for your upper floors isn’t working, and the workmen can’t come for several days.

It was quite a shock to the system, particularly given the wonderful weather we had on our vacation. I actually plan to tell you more about this vacation, but I haven’t had the time to write it up just yet. I have so much to say about it, because it not only exceeded my expectations, but it blew those expectations out of the water. It was THAT good. It was so good that coming home has been a little difficult for all of us. And to go from the wonderful Florida sunshine to the bitter Boston cold hasn’t helped.

So you can see why I have soup on the brain. I ransacked my own archives for my best soup recipes to share. I also collected a few great soup links from some of my favourite bloggers. This is by no means an exhaustive list, because when it comes to soup, the possibilities are endless. It can be rich and hearty or light and refreshing. It can warm you up or cool you down. And when it comes to healthy foods, many soups top the charts, full of healthy vegetables and rich in nutrients. Indeed, soup may be one of the healthiest ways to prepare veggies, as many vegetables lose nutrients during the cooking process. When cooked in a soup, the nutrients that leach out during cooking remain in the broth. So don’t be shy about slurping up every bit of that soup, or even lifting the bowl to drink the remaining dregs…it’s good for you! Viva la soup!

Broccoli Cheese Soup and Cauliflower Smoked Cheddar Soup

Check out these great soups from other food bloggers…

French Vegetable Soup from Gourmande in the Kitchen

Easy Black Bean Soup from Created By Diane
Super Easy and Healthy Warm Lentil Soup from Ingredients, Inc.
Potato Leek Soup from What Megan’s Making
Fresh Beet and Apple Soup from Jeanette’s Healthy Living
White Bean and Roasted Mushroom Soup from She Wears Many Hats
Roasted Tomato and Pepper Soup from the Black Peppercorn
Spinach Lemon Orzo Soup from Bake Your Day
Pumpkin Coconut Lime Soup from Verses From My Kitchen
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup from Let’s Dish
Thai Coconut Milk Soup from Rachel Cooks Thai
Spicy Mushroom Miso Ramen from La Fuji Mama
Roast Zucchini Soup with Stilton from Six Course Dinner

Link Up Your Favourite Soup Recipes Here! I can always use more ideas…

(sorry folks, I haven’t ever done a link up before and my first attempt was without thumbnail pictures. Trying again…)

Comments

1. Karen says

It's 6:30AM and I want that Tortellini & Kielbasa Soup!
    Sorry to hear about your snow and floor troubles, but glad you had an amazing vacation…it always makes it harder to come back when they're so good!

2. Cookin' Canuck says

Great round-up of hearty soup recipes. I'm so glad you had such a wonderful vacation. I can't wait to read about it. Stay warm!

3. Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen} says

I'll take one of each please. And by dating yourself you are now dating me. Because I still sing that song. ;)

4. Cassie//Bake Your Day says

Thanks for hosting, Carolyn! It's great to have new soup recips…I'm a soup-a-holic if there is such a thing!

5. Maggie says

What a fun idea! I just linked my new favorite soup recipe I blogged about a few weeks back. I can't wait to see what other soups we'll find here. Thanks and loving your blog!

6. Kathy - Panini Happy says

I got the reference! And it's conjuring up a particularly bad high school talent show lip synching episode – oh the memories. :-)

7. Roxana GreenGirl says

Such a comforting round-up! We love soup this time of the year, warms our bellies.
    Hope the next snow is going to be far faaaaaar away.

8. Diane {Created by Diane} says

Great soup round up!
    So glad you had a great trip :)
    I love soup and look forward to trying some of these yummy soups!

9. Claudia says

Fun – I just posted two soups today. And here I come to a bevy of wonderful soups. I think first up will be your tortellini and kielbasa. That will keep the snow away!

10. Erin says

I used to love that song, still could sing along and know all the words if it came on the radio!

What a great line up of soups. I don't make soup nearly enough!

11. Danielle says

I love that Tortellini and Kielbasa soup recipe! Several other people have made it and haven fallen in love with it too! The other ones look delicious as well!

12. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen says

I could pretty much live off of soups in the winter, they are the best way to warm up!

13. Boulder Locavore says

Great idea! I'm a complete soup-a-holic these days. Expecting more snow tomorrow so I'm so glad to have your post as a cold weather soup directory!

14. Becky says

WhaT a great idea to have a soup link up. I love soup and could eat it everyday. Looks like I have almost a whole month full of soup recipes. Thanks, Carolyn

15. Souffle Bombay (Colleen) says

Now I am starving!! Nothing more satisfying than a delicious bowl of soup!! The Smokds Cauliflower and the Roasted Tomato are now on my list!! Thanks :)

16. Parsley Sage says

Salt 'n' Pepa! A great group for a foodie! Talk about being dated…I had this song on like the first 'Now that's what I call Music' cd. You know, those really bad ones advertised on late night TV :)

Great soup link up!

17. Theresa says

I love this soup round up! I've been into soup in a major way over the last month and I don't think it's going to let up any time soon. It's an easy way to make lunch for the whole week and such an appealing way to eat veggies. I shared two of my favorites – cheesy potato soup and peanut & butternut squash soup. I can't wait to check out all these other soups for future lunch ideas!

18. Claudie says

Loving your soup compilation! Here in San Fran it's still warm, but, knowing the weather, it's just trying to fool us, so I'm definitely looking to gather some soup recipes :)

19. Jill Colonna says

I love the title, Carolyn, even if I am really showing up my age since I don't even know it. Obviously way after me (at Uni I was a classical music nut – only thing I knew was Abba and Souper Trouper :-))
    Definitely nuts about all of those soups. You poor thing – snow? Great idea with the link ups!

20. RavieNomNoms says

I hear ya on the snow! We are currently in all sorts of outages here in CT. I hope you are doing ok! The soup is perfect for the snow outside!

21. electric heat pump says