Low Carb, Gluten Free Holiday Cookie Round-Up

Yum

What do you think of when you hear the words “low carb diet”? Do you picture someone gorging themselves on bacon, eggs and steak, and little else? Because I have to confess, that was certainly my impression of a low carb diet when I first heard of such a thing. And I don’t think I was alone in this misapprehension, as I believe this is a fairly commonplace view of the low carb world. I remember being so very glad that my little one, the child with whom I developed gestational diabetes, would be born well before the Christmas season. I simply could not imagine having to restrict my carbs during a time of almost obligatory excess and over-indulgence. And what would become of my holiday baking extravaganza, if I couldn’t use copious amounts of flour and sugar?

Chocolate-glazed Mocha Shortbread, Chocolate Peppermint Cookies and Cranberry Pecan Crescents

My, my, how times have changed! Here I am entering my second holiday season as a low carber with no fear of how I will survive without flour and sugar. Indeed, I have too many ideas of goodies to make and not enough time to make them. I think it’s fair to say that this blog is devoted to proving that low carb, gluten free diets are more than meat, eggs and cheese. But just in case you still have your doubts, or you feel you are facing a holiday season of deprivation, I have called upon some of my low carbing friends to help me prove you wrong. I am certainly not the only one who likes to use low carb, gluten free ingredients in new, creative and delicious ways. If you don’t already know these wonderful bloggers, I hope they will be on your radar now!

And if you don’t mind, I’d like to use this platform for a quick, shameless plug about our cookbook. Some of the people included in this round-up are my co-authors, and several others contributed one or two recipes to the book, and I can attest to the wonderful, varied talents that they all have in low carb cooking and baking. If you or any loved ones are on a low carb diet or have been thinking of starting a low carb diet, believe me when I say that this cookbook has so much to offer. Check it out HERE.

And now, on to the recipes. If this collection of cookies doesn’t convince you that there is no need of deprivation on a low carb, gluten free diet, nothing will!

Gingerbread House from Maria’s Nutritious and Delicious Journal

Chocolate Chip Cranberry Cookies form Splendid Low-Carbing By Jennifer Eloff

Chocolate Mint Ribbon Cookies from 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Chocolate Cherry Macadamia Cookies from Until the Thin Lady Sings

Vanilla Cream Sandwiches with Chocolate Filling from Ginny’s Low Carb Kitchen

Peanut Butter Cookies from Carb Wars (Judy Barnes Baker)

Homemade Marzipan from Birgit’s Daily Bytes

Italian Chocolate Spice Cookies from Healthy Living How To

Coconut Cookies Your Way from Splendid Low-Carbing with Jennifer Eloff

Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies from Ginny’s Low Carb Kitchen

Cinnamon Star Cookies from Birgit’s Daily Bytes

Chocolate Raspberry French Macaroons from Maria’s Nutritious and Delicious Journal

Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies from Until the Thin Lady Sings

Frosted Ricotta Almond Cookies by Sugar-Free Low Carb Recipes

Frosted Pumpkin Cookies from Splendid Low-Carbing by Jennifer Eloff

Comments

1. Giuliana says

I only wish I could order the cookbook — lots of issues trying to get it to Canada that doesn't involve paying more than twice the price of Amazon!

Nonetheless, thank you Carolyn! Amazing work as usual :)

2. says

Hi Giuliana,

Wow, it really shouldn't be like that. But if you really want a copy, we could make some alternative arrangement. I send stuff to Canada all the time (I'm Canadian, my family lives there). You could order a copy, have it sent to me, and I could mail it to you. If you want to do that, email me at carketch29 (at) yahoo (dot) com.

3. says

Do you think my husband will get the hint if I forward him this link? We absolutely need your book because CK's recent medical was quite a bit of a shock. We're now doing low carb without a net, and so far its been tougher than I thought!

Love all your recipes (this you know) so buzzing your round up! :)

4. says

Bravo Carolyn! You know that I'm already a fan of your creativity and ingenuity in the kitchen and this is more proof positive. Now that my mom has diabetes and thinks the world is ending because her IV of sweet treats is cut off, this is going to be a lifesaver for her. Thanks, ladies, for making this cookbook available to everyone.

5. spiffycookie says

Wow! I am always sharing your posts with a gluten-free friend of mine and now I wil also definitely be sharing this!

6. says

Amazing! Your low carb treats are more beautiful than my full carb versions! You are an inspiration! I passed your website along to my friend, Kim, last week…she may contact you with a question. She fell in love with your blog instantly :)

7. thecubiclerebel says

Seriously, I think I want to live next door to you. At least on your block. I'd be your best-est friend in the world with these desserts.

8. Becky says

Carolyn,
    This is such a great collection of low carb gluten free treats. Your cookbook is a wonderful reference for people who need low carb, gluten free foods.

9. says

This is a wonderful post Carolyn! Even for someone who doesn't need low-carb options in the same way…the cookbook looks fantastic too. Congratulations!

10. says

I always love your complete roundup of a recipe – this time holiday cookies! All looks wonderful and festive! Ahhh the cookbook cover looks beautiful!

11. says

Wow! I can't even imagine how you got through putting that post together without snacking every 10 seconds! Congratulations to all of you on the cookbook — it looks great! Theresa

12. says

Thank you, Carolyn! Lovely cookie selection for Christmas baking! I read up on some of them and was particularly interested in your Chocolate-Glazed Mocha Shortbread – I thought you were very clever in how you saved that recipe and turned it into something special. The mark of a good baker/cook. It looks so good.

13. says

Hi Carolyn – I put the new cookbook on my amazon wishlist and already got it for my birthday this week… only just starting thumbing thru it – it is FABULOUS! Hope you guys sell a ton – I am planning on buying a few for bday gifts in the coming months…
    Lisa

14. Joanne says

I live in Canada and I had a friend visiting from USA, so she was kind enough to bring me back this cookbook!