Rosemary Grapefruit Martini

I don’t post cocktails on this blog very often. I think there has been one true cocktail recipe on here, and that would be my Lemon Ginger Martini. Beyond that, I posted Cranberry Ginger Mulled Wine, which didn’t have much alcohol content left in it after mulling, although it does make a lovely warm winter drink. And perhaps you could count my Almond Milk Eggnog recipe, if you are the sort to add rum or whiskey to your eggnog. So this really counts as the second true cocktail recipe on ADIDAF. If you didn’t know me, or you were to judge purely on the frequency of my cocktail-posting behaviour, you might think I am not overly fond of cocktails. But oh, you would be wrong! I have a long-standing affection for the cocktail hour, there is something slightly magical about it after a long, hard day. And although my drink of choice is usually either a simple glass of red wine or a dry gin martini, sometimes I get it in my head to switch things up a bit.

This particular combination was inspired by a cocktail I saw on I’ll Have What She’s Having. Lynn’s blog has long been one of my favourites, and she and I have always been supportive of each others’ work. Her recipes are always sound, her writing is wonderful and her photography is very good. And she’s a lovely person, what I know of her, so I almost always make a point of checking out her latest post. Her Fresh Start Cocktail, a nod to the New Year, immediately caught my attention because I love both rosemary and grapefruit juice. And I don’t think I ever would have thought to put rosemary in a drink on my own. I started scheming to convert it into a martini almost the moment I saw it.

I made my version with Swerve, an erythritol based sweetener that is made to be as sweet as sugar. I like Swerve for a number of reasons, but one of its best qualities over other brands of erythritol, in my opinion, is that there is no funny cooling sensation. I made up the rosemary syrup first, and once again, I noted this advantage when I tasted the syrup. And the syrup was plenty sweet, even though I had reduced the amount of sweetener compared to Lynn’s version. Even if I was using sugar, I wouldn’t make this any sweeter. Now, if you are low carb and you are using erythritol to make this drink, do keep in mind that as the syrup cools, it will begin to crystallize and harden. Sugar stays in suspension but I have not found an erythritol product that will do so. So you will need to reheat the syrup a bit to liquify it when adding it to your cocktail shaker. But as it’s shaken over ice, it doesn’t effect the temperature of the end result.

Hope you enjoy. Bottoms up!

Rosemary Grapefruit Martini

Rosemary Syrup:
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup erythritol (I used Swerve)
OR
1/4 cup sugar
4 to 5 long sprigs of fresh rosemary

Martini:
1/4 cup grapefruit juice
4 ounces gin (or vodka)
3 tbsp rosemary syrup

2 sprigs rosemary for garnish

For the rosemary syrup, combine water, erythritol or sugar and rosemary sprigs in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Let cool. (If using erythritol, you will find it begins to crystallize as it cools. You will need to rewarm a bit to liquify when making the cocktail, but as you shake it with ice, this won’t make much of a difference).

For the martini, fill a cocktail shaker with ice and add grapefruit juice, gin or vodka and rosemary syrup. Shake well. Pour into two chilled martini glasses and garnish with rosemary sprigs.

Serves 2.

Comments

1. That looks fantastic. I love the rosemary…not sure I've ever had rosemary in a cocktail before! Bookmarking this puppy!

2. comowater.com says:

Can you believe I don't like rosemary :( … but I HEART grapefruit… perhaps I could make this with basil … or even sage? Thanks for sharing and Happy Friday! HUGS!

3. This looks like the perfect escape from a stressful week! Thanks so much for sharing this!

4. What a refreshing looking martini.

5. What an interesting flavor combination! I'd be curious to try it, even though I'm shying away from the grapefruit a bit – I'm not good with bitter/sour foods.

6. What a way to start the weekend!!! Cocktails are one area where I do fairly well with low sugar… I'm not a sweet drink fan.
    Love the flavors you have going on in this on!! Pinning!!!

7. This looks like a fantastic way to start the weekend!

8. I would never have thought to add rosemary to a cocktail before, but it sounds so refreshing!!

9. food_dreamer says:

Thanks for sending!

Carolyn

Blog: All Day I Dream About Food
    URL: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com

10. I love cocktail time, and this looks refreshing and delicious! I love how creative it is! And pretty too :)

11. I don't drink almost at all, but honestly this sounds flipping awesome Carolyn! Great photo shoots..
    Wish you amazing weekend!!!

12. We've done a rosemary cocktail before but not with grapefruit juice. Sounds delicious!

13. Roxana Greengirl says:

I've been working all day. I'd really need one right now although it's past midnight and in 4 hours I have to get up.

14. Gosh Carolyn I was hanging my head when reading your first paragraph. If readers think you imbibe too much they must think I'm a downright lush for all my cocktail posting (I have a pantry full of infusions waiting for a party; I concoct, mix, taste and move on mainly…..do I sound like I feel guilty?!). This cocktail sounds really refreshing and vibrant. I just posted a Grapefruit Margarita as well inspired by a big box of Florida citrus shipped by a relative. I think this more bold flavors are what is needed in the winter months to perk up our palates. Really nice.

15. So beautiful, my friend…love the rosemary garnish! And such a refreshing cocktail as well…cheers to you this Saturday! Clink, clink….

16. lovely and looks delicious.. let's freshen our bodies, cheers! :)

17. Oh, what a refreshing drink!! Love this one!

18. I'll have one or maybe two of those thank you. Looks terrific.

19. sounds fabulous!

20. What a unique drink! I would never think to put rosemary in a cocktail, but I bet it is unreal. Great flavor combos!

21. sweetsugarbeell says:

This is beautiful Carolyn!!!

22. I don't drink much, but now that we have a nicer dining room i would like to entertain more! Would love to try this…now I just need friends? ;)

23. food_dreamer says:

I'm your friend, Sommer! Too bad I live a zillion miles away :(

Carolyn

Blog: All Day I Dream About Food
    URL: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com

24. I love anything with rosemary—especially a cocktail!

25. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen says:

Sounds fantastic! I love using rosemary in slightly unusual and unexpected ways like this.

26. acommunaltable says:

I love incorporating herbs and spices into cocktails… and anything with citrus is right up my alley!

27. happywhennothungry says:

Wow this looks so refreshing and delicious!

28. That wold make a really great flavor combination in a sorbet as well! Perfect for a Friday!

29. food_dreamer says:

That is so funny you should say that because I literally wrote that down the other day as something I should make!

Carolyn

Blog: All Day I Dream About Food
    URL: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com

30. I could go for one of these right now.

31. Pinned it…must have this soon!

32. I know this is a late post, but what if you use powdered erythritol or swerve? Does it still crystallize?

• I have used Swerve in cocktails and it doesn’t crystallize but some of it does settle to the bottom of the drink.

1. […] 6. Rosemary Grapefruit Martini from All Day I Dream About Food […]