Chocolate Raspberry Thumbprints (Low Carb and Gluten-Free)

Excuses, excuses. I seem to have a lot of them these days as to why I can’t seem to keep up with my own life. I have three little kids, so in reality, I have three built-in excuses. But the truth is, I feel perpetually behind the eight ball and it’s not really a feeling I enjoy. There are just so many things I want to give my attention to, and because of that, nothing really gets the attention it deserves. Including my family! It’s a classic case of spreading myself too thin. So I could give you all my excuses, tell you how much time my kids take up, how I’ve taken on some marketing work that is eating up chunks of my day, how I am also writing a presentation for the Nourished Food Blogger Conference in April, as well as training for another half-marathon. But really, it’s all my own fault. There is simply too much I want to do and not enough time.

This blog has certainly suffered for my being so distracted. I have not really given it much attention lately. I still whip up recipes and post about them, but I do little to promote each post and I am definitely having a hard time keeping up with other people’s blogs. I’d like to give my blog more attention, because it happens to be one of my favourite endeavours, but I know I am just coasting at the moment. Strangely, it seems to be doing just fine without me, with my monthly views growing exponentially. Still, there is so much more I could be doing to help it along. So I have to send a shout-out to all of my wonderful readers and followers, for continuing to read and follow and make this blog a success. I truly appreciate it.

In that light, I wanted to let you know that March is going to be Reader Appreciation Month on All Day I Dream About Food. Both my 2nd blogiversary and my own birthday fall in the month of March, and I will be giving away some of my favourite low carb, gluten free products, starting this Friday. Be sure to check back in frequently and come help me celebrate. I hope it will be a lot of fun.

As for this little recipe, I have to say, it is a gem. I thought of it when I was spreading some sugar free raspberry jam on a piece of my Almond Cake the other day, and thinking how I might use the jam in a recipe. Thumbprints are so easy and quick to make, and they always look great too. And chocolate and raspberry is such a delicious combination, I knew wanted to make a chocolate base to hold the jam. And while I’m at it, why not drizzle a little melted chocolate over them too?

The Results: Yep, this is a little gem of a recipe. Easy, quick and delicious, and a hit with the whole family. I will say, I wanted the colour of the jam to stand out more, but with a chocolate base and chocolate drizzle, it got a bit lost. But that’s just aesthetics and I still really love these little cookies.

Chocolate Raspberry Thumbprints

Cookies:
1 3/4 cup almond flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup granulated erythritol
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Filling:
3 tbsp sugar-free raspberry jam (I used Polaner’s All Fruit with Fiber)

Chocolate Drizzle:
1/2 tsp butter or oil
1 1/2 oz very dark, gluten free chocolate (85% cacao or higher)

For the cookies, preheat oven to 325F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat liner.

In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, cocoa powder, erythritol, baking soda, salt and xanthan gum. Add egg, coconut oil, vanilla extract and stevia and stir until dough comes together.

Roll 1-inch balls between palms and place on prepared baking sheet. Flatten slightly with palm and then press thumb or fingers into the center to create a small well.

Spoon about a 1/2 tsp of jam into the well of each cookie. Bake until cookies are set around edges but still slightly soft in the middle, 14 to 16 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on pan.

For the chocolate drizzle, melt butter and chocolate together gently either on the stovetop or in the microwave. Let cool 10 to 15 minutes to thicken, then use a spoon to drizzle lightly over cooled cookies.

Makes 18 to 20 cookies. For 18 cookies, each cookie has a total of 5.8 g of carbs and 2.3 g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 3.5 g.**

**Carb count may vary somewhat based on the kind of jam and chocolate used.

Comments

1. Those look AWESOME!!! I'm going to have to try these!!! :)

God bless,
    Sarah

forevergodsprincess.blogspot.com

2. RavieNomNoms says:

These look so amazing! Wow, I love chocolate and raspberry together too. How yummy!

3. Wow you are EXTREMELY busy! It's great that the blog is doing well without consistent attention. These cookes look amazing!! Yum!

4. Can totally relate to trying to do too much at one…although I am not nearly as busy as you are so I guess :)

Cookies look great! Great combination of flavors!

5. This is super sweet of you to make! Can't wait to try them! I just read your bio in the cookbook, and you have an amazing story to tell! Wow, you are an inspiration!

6. I love the chocolate/raspberry pairing… it's always so rich and delightful!

7. These look amazing! Must try these

8. Different lives, different priorities — I'm also behind the 8-ball on pretty much everything (with my own three kids as built-in excuses), but one thing I've had to drop for now is baking your recipes! Rest assured that I'll be coming back to them when (if?) I find a few moments of peace and sanity again. I wish I had a maid to make them for me.

9. I totally hear you, I always say to myself I'll do stuff when the kids go to bed but lately I've been falling asleep at the lap top, not cool. The wine is not helping either lol. I think I'd rather be busy though, my main focus right now is trying to get my stuff together to start selling my caramels, so much to do!!!
    Anyway I can see your still on top of things because these cookies look tasty! Great job..

10. I think we can all understand the feeling of spreading too thin…but we'd never have known you were feeling that way if you hadn't fessed up here! I too am suffering from a lack of time (and now 2 blogs)…but I'm glad that we can check in from time to time to see what the other has been up to. :) Theresa

11. Mmm, these look amazing! :) Wonderful recipe.
    I know how those phases are and I hope you regain more control soon. Just know we're all here watching out for you!

12. I so well know how it feels to be pulled in multiple directions so there's no need to apologize for focusing where you need to be focused, trust me! You do what you need to do. I think your recipes are all unbelievable. :)

13. I know that feeling over being over-stretched. When that happens, I just have to put my head down and push towards the finish line, knowing that some things will suffer a little in the process, but everything will ultimately be alright. These cookies sound wonderful, Carolyn. Raspberry and chocolate is such a great dessert combination.

14. food_dreamer says:

Thanks, Jeanette. I really appreciate all your comments and support.

Carolyn

Blog: All Day I Dream About Food
    URL: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com

15. food_dreamer says:

Hey, Dawn, you have to do what you have to do. My recipes will always be here when you're ready…maybe when your kids are grown up???

Carolyn

Blog: All Day I Dream About Food
    URL: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com

16. food_dreamer says:

LOL, Gerry, how is it that the time after they get into bed just seems so darn short?

Are you going to sell your caramels? That's wonderful!!!

Carolyn

Blog: All Day I Dream About Food
    URL: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com

17. I can totally relate to how you're feeling as there are so many things I'd love to be doing, so little time. That's awesome that your blog is still doing well though! I feel the need to totally baby mine.

Certainly if I had more time I'd be baking up cookies like these! I recently made sugar-free raspberry chia jam for the chocolate cupcakes which are up on my blog now, and I've been dreaming up a cookie to use the extra jam in.

18. I can totally relate to how you're feeling as there are so many things I'd love to be doing, so little time. That's awesome that your blog is still doing well though! I feel the need to totally baby mine.

19. Awesome combination of chocolate and raspberry! These looks delightful.

20. How do you do it all? I think we can all relate but I think you might be a bit busier than most! :) Hang in there. Love these healthy delights

21. We just made these and they turned out very nice! I did reduce the salt and xanthan gum to 1/4 tsp each (I find that most low-carb recipes are too salty for my taste). The cookies were deliciously crisp, and the raspberry jelly gave a nice burst of flavor. Thanks!

22. I so know the feeling. I've been so busy and the blog seems like the first and easiest thing to push to the side. But you're still putting up such amazing recipes and we all adore you, so of course we're here! :)

23. I so know the feeling. I've been so busy and the blog seems like the first and easiest thing to push to the side. But you're still putting up such amazing recipes and we all adore you, so of course we're here! :)

24. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen says:

I can never resist the combination of rasberries and chocolate!

25. I wholeheartedly relate. Even without 3 children! I hope things calm down for you soon, but appreciate that may be a rather futile hope with your upcoming plans :p At least they sound exciting?! This recipe looks delicious too :)

26. Awesome recipe its delicious Thanks for sharing

27. food_dreamer says:

Wonderful, glad you liked them!

Carolyn

Blog: All Day I Dream About Food
    URL: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com

28. This is totally my kinda cookie! chocolate and luscious raspberries! Sound heavenly!

29. I have been feeling a bit overwhelmed, too…no time to visit my old friends consistently…and keep up with normal life. Who knew this blogging would be such a big part of our lives when we both started two years ago? We just have to do what we can do!

PS…fabulous cookies!!!

30. acommunaltable says:

Wow, I almost could have written this post myself – well, um, except for the three children, and the conference work … and the cookies!! LOL!! But seriously, I am in the same boat – which I suppose is both a blessing and curse – but I'll take it as a blessing – along with a few of these cookies – yum!!!!

31. I dont know how you manage to make everything look so good!

32. Hey! I've stumbled upon your blog many times before, but I always felt over-whelmed by the ''weird'' ingredients. I was wondering if you could recommend some of your favourite/best/popular recipes that do NOT contain xantham gum and stevia? I do have granulated erythritol, though. :)

33. Can't wait to try them…….Thanks for sharing.

34. These little cookies look incredible! Best of luck with all you have going on, I know you will do fantastic at both the conference and the half marathon. I'm a big fan of yours and always will be no matter how busy you are ;)

35. I can totally relate to you – so many things, so little time! I wish we could be in two places at one time! :)

Love thumbprint cookies… I have been seeing a lot of them on blogs lately and these look lovely! Love the raspberry-chocolate combo. Can't go wrong!

36. food_dreamer says:

Hey Jessy…

Let me think on that one a bit and come back with some links for you. I know my Almond Crusted Butter Cake didn't contain any xanthan, and you could easily replace the stevia with a bit more erythritol. It was fantastic, one of my favourite recipes to date.

Carolyn

Blog: All Day I Dream About Food
    URL: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com

37. Thanks for the ideas. There's always something new to learn and improve on in this mad internet world. Uptiming is surely something to keep an eye on.

38. Jessy (squeezetheday) says:

Thank you, I checked it out and the comments say it's great. ;) I look forward to more suggestions! I forgot to mention that I also can't find coconut anywhere … except if I manage to make my own.

39. YOu hit my sweet spot with this one! I love choc and raspberry together. Beautiful recipe and photos.

40. They undoubtedly look very delicious! Love the chocolate drizzle on top!

41. These look wonderful! Congrats on your upcoming 2nd blog birthday!!

42. Carolyn first congrats on your impending 2 year blogging anniversary. That's so amazing. And secondly I think us Moms all know what it is like to feel like there is not enough time in the day. So just keep on keeping on and we'll keep on visiting. You are incredible and enjoy your blog so much. But life first, blog second is my motto. Enjoy your weekend. xx

43. food_dreamer says:

Hi Jessy,

Going through my ingredients list, I find it hard to find things made without stevia. I think maybe we should do this…you tell me a recipe you like the look of, and I can make suggestions on how to use other sweeteners instead of stevia. As for xanthan, it's not required in any recipe, but it does help things hold together a bit better. Again, I can try to make suggestions based on what you like.

Carolyn

Blog: All Day I Dream About Food
    URL: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com

44. Jessy (squeezetheday) says:

Thank you, that's very kind of you! Next time something catches my eye and I decide to make it, I'll make sure to ask you for help about substitutions. ;)

45. Those look devine. Do pop over and say helo at my bog.

46. Yum!! Any trick to getting erythritol to not have that cooling effect?

47. food_dreamer says:

The best trick I know when using regular erythritol is to keep the amount low and combine with stevia. These didn't have the cooling sensation.

But you should also try Swerve…it's a new brand and it doesn't seem to have the cooling sensation at all!

Carolyn

Blog: All Day I Dream About Food
    URL: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com

48. These look delicious and I always love a chocolate drizzle!

49. I constantly feel like I am spreading myself too thin these days too – and I don't have kids so I can't begin to imagine how hard it is with little ones.
    If you had told me a year ago that I would want to taste test any cookie with any sort of fruit associated with it, I would have thought you were crazy, but since I am much more open to things now, everything about these sounds awesome!

50. Wow! Those looks delicious! I love cookies as they are my favorite snack after meals.baby eagle

51. I love chocolate and raspberry! I don’t have liquid stevia, but I have powdered stevia and liquid Splenda, so I will have to figure out a conversion factor…

52. Alison T says:

I was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and am very happy to have stumbled upon your beautiful blog! This recipe was my first attempt at sugar-substitute baking and I know I have some experimenting to do. My cookies have a slightly off-putting smell and taste, a kind of chemical smell, and I think it may be the stevia (I used whole foods 365 liquid stevia) as I can’t imagine the erythritol puts off an odor after it’s baked. I would really like to make this work, do you have any suggestions?

• Carolyn says:

Hi Alison…stevia shouldn’t give it a chemical smell, although it will give it a licorice-y aftertaste sometimes. What kind of erythritol did you use? There are a couple of brands I have heard not such great things about, like Emerald Forest. Also, what kind of jam did you use for the center?

• Alison T says:

I haven’t noticed the aftertaste. The erythritol is Now Foods, jam is Bionaturae which doesn’t have artificial sweeteners and is just low in sugar. I think I’ll try NuNaturals stevia to see if I like it better as I see a lot of people recommending it. Thank you for your reply!

1. [...] Chocolate Raspberry Thumbprints, Chocolate Donuts with Irish Cream Glaze, Low Carb Panini, Biscoff Cookies, Chocolate Layer Cake [...]