Mini Lemon Bundt Cakes with Lemon Curd Filling (Low Carb and Gluten-Free)

As you read this, I am attending my first ever food blogging conference. Not only am I attending, but I will actually be presenting as well. Nourished Food Blogger Conference is the first of its kind, a unique conference devoted to gluten and allergen-free bloggers. And in my case, those who are somewhat carb-averse too. It is the brain child of Amy Green, of Simply Sugar and Gluten Free, and Jen Cafferty of So Simple Gluten Free. I am so honoured to be a part of the amazing line-up of bloggers presenting at this conference. I will be hosting a panel on “Beyond Gluten Free”, addressing how to engage an audience wider than just the gluten-free and celiac crowd. In my case, those who are somewhat carb-averse! I have been looking forward to this conference for a while now, and I can only hope I do it justice. I don’t have presentation jitters, as I used to present frequently in my professional days. But I do want to give my audience information they can walk away with and really use to improve their blogs and grow their readership. Wish me luck!

So, for obvious reasons, I am keeping this post short and sweet. I created these sweet little bundt cakes for an Easter Brunch with friends. I had been mulling over what I might like to make, with lots of ideas that just didn’t seem right. I always have a long list of things I want to make, but none of them seemed quite right for Easter Brunch, they were too heavy and rich, too dessert-y. Or not quite special enough to celebrate the first holiday of spring. And I wanted something that people could eat with their hands easily, because there were going to be many children underfoot and I knew we wouldn’t all have a chance to sit down together. My mini-bundt pan sprung to mind, but what to actually make with it was the question? And lemon curd came to mind as well, because there is something to spring-like about freshly made lemon curd. Once I had those two ideas, it wasn’t much of a leap to think of filling the holes in the mini-bundt cakes with fresh lemon curd.

The Results: Lovely little cakes that make an elegant addition to any brunch or dessert table. These were a hit with everyone, and my friends professed their astonishment that it was all low carb and gluten free. And I don’t think they were faking, either! I loved the creamy lemon curd, and there was plenty left over after filling the cakes to pass around if people wanted more. Or to just spoon out of the jar and into my mouth…the best way to eat lemon curd, after all.

Mini Lemon Bundt Cakes with Lemon Curd Filling:

6 oz greek yogurt
1/4cup butter, softened
3 large eggs
2 tbsp lemon zest
1/4cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
10 – 20 drops stevia extract (optional)*
Fresh raspberries for garnish.

For the curd, whisk eggs, egg yolks and erythritol in a medium bowl to combine. Stir in lemon juice, lemon zest and stevia. Set bowl over saucepan of barely simmering water, making sure not to allow the bowl to touch the water).

Whisk constantly until mixture thickens and an instant-read thermometer registers curd at about 170-175F.  It will thicken up very quickly all of a sudden so watch carefully!

Remove from heat and add butter. Let stand 1 minute and then whisk until blended and smooth. Press plastic wrap directly onto surface of curd, covering completely. Chill completely in refrigerater, at least  3 hours.

For the cakes, preheat oven to 325 and grease mini-bundt pan very well, working oil or butter into all creases of the pan.
In a medium bowl, whisk together almond flour, granulated erythritol, vanilla protein powder, baking powder, xanthan gum, baking soda and salt.
In a large bowl, beat yogurt and butter together until smooth.  Add eggs one at a time, beating lightly after each addition, and then beat in lemon zest.  Beat in almond flour mixture in two additions, alternating with lemon juice and scraping down beaters and sides of bowl as needed.

*You can add some additional sweetener, like stevia, if your batter is not sweet enough.  My vanilla protein powder adds a lot of sweetness so I don’t add the stevia here.

Give batter final stir with rubber spatula and fill prepared mini-bundt cups 2/3 full (you may end up with leftover batter, I got 14 cakes out of this recipe).  Bake 24 to 28 minutes or until set and tester inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool in pan 10 minutes, then flip out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
To assemble, spoon 1 to 2 teaspoons of curd into the center of each cake, and gently tap cake on plate to make sure curd gets to the bottom.  Top each with one fresh raspberry.
 Serves 12 to 14.  For 12, each serving has a total of 6.1 g of carbs and 2 g of fiber.  Total NET CARBS = 4.1 g.

Comments

1. These are stunning, Carolyn!!!! And I'm certain they're delicious, too! Congrats on your presentation at the blog conference…they are so lucky to have you!!!

2. Liz @ Blog is the New Black says:

Yum!

3. Low carb and gluten free? My head wants to say, "nah, can't be." My heart wants to say, "can I have one?"

4. these look incredible! Happy Friday! Just stumbled it

5. Good luck at Nourished – I had wanted to attend, but couldn't – can't wait to hear all about it. Love these little bundt cakes!

6. These bundt cakes look incredibly inviting, Carolyn. Good luck at the conference (although you will certainly not need it!) Enjoy yourself.

7. theharriedcook says:

Those look gorgeous!!! And I love anything lemony. So cool about 'Nourished'! Have fun at the conference, and I am sure you will do great! :) Can't wait to read about it :)

8. How exciting! Have fun doing your panel!
    I would like to place an order for a half dozen of these mini bundts, please! :) So gorgeous! Perfect Easter choice.

9. Yum! I hope your presentation went well, these mini bundt cakes sound wonderful!

10. Christina says:

For the curd you talk about lime zest and lime juice….I assume you mean lemon?

11. Oh how pretty are these! They look absolutely delicious! :)

12. So envious you're at Nourished! Have a great time :)
    These look fab!

13. Carolyn you never disappoint! Those look fantastic and so delicious! Good luck on the conference!!!

14. Awww, these are so adorable. Love the lemon curd filling, I would absolutely to to try one.

15. Those really are adorable. All the best, Carolyn!

16. food_dreamer says:

Whoops! I thought I had corrected that.

Thanks

Carolyn

Blog: All Day I Dream About Food
    URL: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com

17. These are incredibly cute! Yum – have fun at the conference and good luck!

18. These cute little cakes look so light and fluffy! I almost bought a ticket to attend that event but I had other commitments. Can you share with us what you and the panel spoke about :)

19. erikakerekes says:

These look super delicious and completely adorable – I love that you used the lemon curd to fill the hole in the cakes. And the berry on top is berry berry cute! See you in a few weeks at Camp Blogaway….

20. Jeanette Norman says:

I can't wait to try these. Does it matter what type of Greek Yogurt I use? Plain, vanilla, fat free, full fat? I don't actually eat it, so I have no idea what type to buy for the recipe.

21. stephday says:

Hope you have a great time at the conference! Though I am not gluten-free, I always enjoy reading your recipes and I think everyone can benefit from having some low -carb and gluten free recipes.

These cakes look incredible! I love lemony desserts!

22. Well done on being the Top 9! These look amazing I am know a follower of your blog, I hope the conference went well!

23. Congrats on presenting! How fun!!! And this cake recipe looks marvelous!

24. Look lucious! congrats on the presentation!

25. food_dreamer says:

Get plain, because the flavoured varieties will add a different flavour and will add sweetener. Full fat or skim, that part doesn't matter.

Carolyn

Blog: All Day I Dream About Food
    URL: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com

26. food_dreamer says:

Hi Carol,

Our panel was about reaching a wider audience than just gluten free. In my case, the emphasis was on marketing yourself to the low carb audience. I'd be happy to discuss more if you wanted to email me directly.

Carolyn

Blog: All Day I Dream About Food
    URL: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com

27. These look delicious, Carolyn! I love anything lemon. Congrats on presenting at the conference. They couldn't have picked better :-)

28. Gabriela says:

This is a beautiful presentation and a great recipe idea, but I was wondering if there is a line item missing in the cake ingredients, specifically stevia drops? 1/4 cup erythritol does not seem like enough sweetener, especially with all the lemon juice in the recipe. (Per your past comments, I even used ZSweet instead of erythritol, which is 42% sweeter than erythritol). Please do not take the question the wrong way, because I am so grateful for your all your postings and generous sharing of your recipes. I baked this recipe in a 10" spring-form pan, then dolloped the curd decoratively onto the top of the cake prior to baking. Then post-baking, I drizzled it with a lemon and erythritol glaze. It came out beautifully, and I will definitely be making it again -it just REALLY needs more sweetener. Really a wonderful recipe. Thanks, as always! Gabriela

29. Gabriela says:

PS: The lemon curd is out of this world! Thank you!! I had no idea it would thicken without polydextrose. I'm so grateful for your recipe – I love not having to use specialized (read: hard-to-find) inredients. You rock!
    Gabriela

30. Choc Chip Uru says:

These are too cute and delicious – lemon is one of the best flavours ever!

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

31. These little beauties look stunning! I love the curd filling and the presentation is so beautiful.

32. This recipe look great! I would love it if you linked up this post to my blog hop for a chance to win a cookbook prize package: http://ow.ly/aj76a

33. I love your pretty little bundt cakes. Congrats on presenting at Nourished. I know you will do so well and would love to hear you present:)

34. food_dreamer says:

Hi Gabriela,

No offense taken! I am so bad about proofing my own recipes…I read them over, but I am so used to them, I often just don't see the mistakes. Please ALWAYS let me know of any errors you see!

Carolyn

Blog: All Day I Dream About Food
    URL: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com

35. food_dreamer says:

The magic of egg yolks! They thicken it without any special ingredients needed.

Carolyn

Blog: All Day I Dream About Food
    URL: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com

36. food_dreamer says:

Hi again,

I looked it over and here's what I think the problem is…my vanilla whey protein powder is REALLY sweet, so I didn't add any stevia to this recipe. But I am going to edit it anyway, to make note of optional extra sweetener. Sound good?

Carolyn

Blog: All Day I Dream About Food
    URL: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com

37. Gabriela says:

Carolyn,

Thank you for your sweet words and kind gesture (of adding the stevia comment to your recipe)! The truth is, I use unflavored whey protein and had compensated by adding 1 teaspon vanilla plus 6 drops of stevia, but I think you are right, an extra-sweet protein powder could account for the difference.
    We are still enjoying your cake over here. It is moist and delicious (until the next time I make it, I am drizzing a few stevia drops over each slice -not ideal for company, but works for us!)
    I am so far behind on making your recipes -and I don't even run a blog -I don't know how you do it, plus take the time to reply! Thanks again for your thoughtfulness. Gabriela

38. How cute are these guys! Yumm!

39. I have this mini-bundt pan and I have never been able to get anything out of it intact.
    I butter or grease it and still everything sticks. I now have some coconut oil spray and I
    just wondered if it might work. I have used this recipe and really love the flavor, just no
    success in getting out of the pan. Any ideas??

• What kind of bundt pan is it? Mine is one of the good, dark coloured non-stick metal ones and I have no problem getting things out.

• Mine is the “Wilton Mini 12 Cavity Fluted Pan”, it is fairly heavy and dark colored, I have had it for several years and I love the idea of it – just can’t get anything out intact. Maybe I should just order a new one and see if it works better.

• That’s exactly the same one I have. I’m stumped because I’ve never had any trouble getting anything out of it. I wish I had more suggestions!

• Well, I think I will try this one more time in the pan, sprayed with the coconut oil, and if it still sticks I will get another one. If I can’t get them out whole I will break them up and make something like a trifle with the cake, the curd, some whipped cream and fresh raspberries. But I do love the idea of the small, pretty cakes, I thought it would be fun at Thanksgiving to have them on a pretty tray as individual deserts.

40. Stephanie says:

I miss the Lemon Chicken I used to make with store-bought lemon curd. I thought it was gone forever since I’ve went sugar free. I can’t wait to try this lemon curd with my chicken! Thank you once again Carolyn!

• Carolyn says:

Wow, I am curious…how do you cook chicken with lemon curd? I’d love the recipe if you want to share!

• Stephanie says:

Of course I’ll share! :)

I stir fry chicken chunks (I used to coat it in flour) in a garlic/ginger oil until golden. Remove from pan and add a splash of vinegar, and then about 1/2 cup chicken stock and scrape up the drippings. I then add lemon curd and fresh lemon zest. Whisk to combine, add chicken back and simmer a couple of minutes til chicken is cooked and it thickens a bit. I serve over rice (now cauliflower rice) and top with scallions. My husband really misses this dish, so I can’t wait to try with your curd!

On another note, I just took your Orange Chocolate Swirl Bread out of the oven and tasted it while it was still warm (I couldn’t wait!) OMGosh – you’re a GENIUS! That was my first bite of chocolate in almost a year – and it was worth the wait!

41. Deborah says:

salted or unsalted butter in the curd?
    and – how much powdered stevia should i replace for the drops?

thank you!!

• Carolyn says:

Salted. It doesn’t really matter much. I don’t know how strong your stevia powder is but that was about 1/4 tsp stevia liquid and it’s about the equivalent of 1/4 cup sugar, if that helps.

• Deborah says:

Thanks! I have plenty of kerrygold salted butter at home, but no unsalted, so that works for me!

I recently made your meringues, and I always loved a pavlova with cream made with lemon curd… so I want to replicate that now that I have a recipe for meringues that work. The cream is just lemon curd mixed into whipped cream… it is divine. Looking forward to replicating it sugar free, thanks to you!

42. Hi Carolyn!

I LOVE all of your recipes! You really are a genius! I have a question about the stevia. What brand of powdered stevia and liquid stevia are you using in your recipes? There are so many brands and some are bitter. I haven’t had much luck with it so far. Thank you for all you do!

43. So my birthday is coming up in a month or so, and I’ve decided that this year, I get a cake for myself, and don’t only make for my husband and kids. And I love your lemon curd, and these look wonderful. So… is there any way I can make them as a regular cake, rather than mini-bundts? I don’t have a bundt pan. I do have a regular round cake tin, and an angel food cake tin. I was thinking I could use the regular round cake tin twice, making two thin layers, and then put lemon curd in between and on top. So, a) does that sound doable with this recipe, and b) if it does, how long should I bake the cakes for? and c), if it doesn’t sound doable, is there anything else you can suggest? Thank you!

44. Caryn Crowston says:

What could I use in place of the Stevia drops?

45. Well here I go again with questions. First let me say these look like such a lovely Easter or springtime treat to replace my “Florida citrus cake” I’ve been making every Easter for as long as I can remember it is an old recipe of my grandmother’s at least 50+ yrs.someday I’ll have to get your opinion on how to re-do it. My question is regarding the stevia drops, I don’t think I’ve ever cared for the after taste so I’m wondering if I should just leave it out as you have it as an option. I read the above comments and I use “pure Protein” vanilla cream whey powder brand. Maybe a little extra Swerve?
    PS, I made your peanut butter chocolate cupcakes last night, as I cut my tops out I ate the extra pieces(what an amazing cake recipe!) And the peanut butter cream is out of this world! I think I would be content making extra and just frost them with it, it is so…….good :)

1. […] Mini Lemon Bundt Cakes with Lemon Curd Filling (Low Carb and Gluten-Free) from All Day I Dream about Food Chocolate Covered Cheesecake Easter Eggs (Gluten Free) from Ricki Heller […]

2. […] The Blenderist Homemade Lemon Jell-o from Whole New Mom Keto Easter Cupcakes from Keto Diet Blog Mini Lemon Bundt Cakes with Lemon Curd Filling from All Day I Dream About Food Filed Under: Cakes, Cookies, Frozen Desserts, Gluten Free, Low Carb, Other Desserts, Pies […]