Individual Frozen Peanut Butter Pies – Low Carb and Gluten-Free

Creamy peanut butter filling becomes a rich frozen treat in these low carb peanut butter pies.  A chocolate crust made with coconut oil holds it all together.

Low Carb Frozen Peanut Butter Pies @dreamaboutfood

Chocolate peanut butter pie.  You really can’t go wrong, can you?  Apparently I think so anyway, since I’ve made a similar recipe before, my Chocolate Peanut Butter Mousse Tarts.  I’ve been blogging 3 years,  and normally I would think that’s hardly enough time to trot out the same old recipes under new guises.  But here’s the thing:  when it comes to chocolate and peanut butter, there is no such thing as too much or too often.  So when the idea to make a frozen version popped into my head one day, I knew it was worthy of pursuing.

Then I decided to really shake it up a bit and make both the crust and the chocolate sauce with Kelapo coconut oil.  I needed a crust that would hold up in the freezer without getting rock hard and too hard to bite, so I thought that coconut oil would keep the crust more tender.  And I know that using coconut oil in chocolate sauce makes it something a little like Magic Shell, which I figured would be rather cool when poured over frozen peanut butter filling upon serving.  My original idea was to make one large pie, but then I remembered these sweet little pie pans I got from Pampered Chef and thought they would make for a fun way to serve.  I will say, though, that the individual pie pans are not really individual, when filled with low carb peanut butter pie.  These little guys are very rich, so each one serves 2 people.  You could make them into one large pie, or make them into smaller pies in a muffin tin.

Low Carb Frozen Peanut Butter Pie

And finally, I put  my wretched plain black countertops to good use!  I had fun photographing these frozen peanut butter pies by getting the reflection in the counter.  My counters drive me mad, they show every little crumb and streak and look dirty seconds after being wiped clean.  Should you ever decided to redo your kitchen, please, PLEASE don’t do plain black counters.  Still, they were useful in this single instance of getting a pretty reflection!

For the recipe, please see the Kelapo Coconut Blog.

Serves 12.  Each serving has 12.1 g of carbs and 5.3 g of fiber.  Total NET CARBS = 6.8 g.

Low Carb Gluten Free Peanut Butter Pie

This post is sponsored by Kelapo Coconut.  All opinions are my own.

Comments

• says

Carolyn, thanks for the Pampered Chef plug AND the awesome recipe! I work very hard to use low/no-carb recipes for my shows instead of the usual P.Chef demo’s. I appreciate your tip!
        How about trying our Mini-Tart Pan for this, with the Mini-Tart Shaper?

1. Gerri says

Oooo, luscious.

I can relate to your counter aggravation. Mine are black granite, not quite as frustrating as yours, & ask myself constantly–what was I thinking! I clean, I polish, I buff, I try every granite product & they never look shiny & clean. Streaks, swirls, smudges. Next counters will be slate, if I can ever afford to replace them (ha!).

2. Sharon Looper says

This is soooo good! I just made it into one pie. I also left the chocolate sauce off, although I think it would be really good on it. Going to be one of my all time favorite desserts! Thank you for the recipe!

3. Colette says

There are tears in my eyes right now !!!! Can I just say I love you ??!! You have changed my life with all these fabulous recipes. living low carb is so much easier since I found your site. Oh, and my dad and his sweet tooth love you too, he can’t tell the difference between my treats and the other stuff. He is always waiting to see what I am whipping up !!! Thank you, thank you, thank you. My pie turned out so yummy. Ok hand me a hanky !!!

4. Debra says

Made this yesterday and it was simple to put together. I served it after turkey dinner which was probably not the best, but it is very good. I put it in a springform pan and it was perfect. We cut it in fairly small pieces and got more than 12 servings, but it’s a fairly rich dessert and we found that the small pieces we had were more than enough. I think Swerve has a ‘taste’ to it but my family said they wouldn’t have known it was low carb if I hadn’t told them. I will definitely make this again!

5. Eileen says

I bought the ingredients for this dessert last week and came back to make it today and the link isn’t working. Help!

6. Jennifer says

How do you get 12 carbs for this? When I calculate the ingredient list the total carbs are 24g and maybe 21.5 taking out some for fiber.

• Carolyn says

As I explain in many places on this blog, I do not count erythritol carbs. They have zero impact on my blood sugar and this has been studied over and over in people. They simply get excreted into the urine without ever entering the blood stream. So they are not counted in most low carb recipes.

• Jennifer says

Gotcha. I have a Type 1 son and thought the recipe looked a little too good to be true. I’m sure different individuals can count differently depending on their situation. According to his endocrinologist & nutritionist, we can deduct half the amount of fiber or sugar alcohol if it’s over 5g/serving – but it’s deduct fiber or alcohol not both and if there is both, we’re supposed to deduct the fiber – so I got 21.5c/serving.
        Thanks!

• Carolyn says

Hi Jennifer. I would highly suggest you actually test out the erythritol yourself on your son. Please do not just take your endo’s word for subtracting only HALF of those carbs. You would be treating for too many carbs if you did that, I can almost guarantee you. Unlike other sugar alcohols, erythritol has virtually NO impact on the vast majority of people, both diabetic or otherwise. It just does not register in the bloodstream. Although I typically advise to listen to your health professionals, I can tell you that in this case, it is very likely that they do not full understand erythritol. It’s a different beast than xylitol, maltitol etc. Take my advice for what it’s worth, since I am NOT a medical professional but I always think it’s worth testing yourself and taking no one’s word for it. You may also want to check out a great Facebook group for Type 1 diabetics. They use my recipes a lot and many find that they are able to eat the treats with little impact on their glucose levels. https://www.facebook.com/groups/660633730675058/

• Jennifer says

Thanks again. I will read and try it out. They do say it’s safer for him to have highs than lows right now. I do keep (more than I really need to) records on every meal so that I can reference his reaction for “next” time. I know some foods I need to count as higher carbs and some lower. But, he’s also in honeymoon so sometimes there’s no telling how much insulin he’s producing that could throw everything off.

• Carolyn says

Ah, I see. I do agree, keep strict close watch and test everything! Everyone reacts differently so it’s the only way to know.