My 15 Minutes of Fame and Gluten-Free Baking

zucchinibreadDLFall13I suffered a serious home invasion back in late January, and it was everything you might expect from such an event.  There were items strewn all over my living room, parts of the house looked like a bomb had exploded and I believe there was even a broken dish or two.  My surroundings took on an unfamiliar feel and I wandered about in a semi-helpless state, not quite sure how to behave at times.  Sounds awful, doesn’t it?  But the truth is, the invasion was all my fault.  I daresay I even welcomed it, although I can’t say I knew quite what I was in for when I did.  Despite the seeming chaos, it was an invasion that was on the whole a very pleasant experience.

See, my house was recently invaded by a team of photographers, food stylists and editors from Diabetic Living magazine.  I am about to have my 15 minutes of fame, people!  I am the subject of a feature story in the Fall 2013 issue of Diabetic Living, a nationally circulated magazine for persons with diabetes.  Why on earth would they want to feature me?  Don’t worry, I asked the exact same question.  But it turns out that people have a great curiosity about food blogging and the extent to which one can make a living from it.  And many folks with diabetes are beginning to embrace the gluten free lifestyle, so I suppose the intersection of the two topics makes for an interesting magazine article.  At least, I hope it does.  The life of the diabetic, gluten-free blogger  And five original, gluten-free recipes will be featured as well, one of them being this delicious gluten-free zucchini bread.  Please note that the recipes are not low-carb, as I had to follow ADA guidelines.  But they are gluten-free and low sugar so it’s a start!

Diabetic Living Photo Shoot

A real photographer taking pictures of MY food!

Diabetic Living Photo Shoot

Now that’s a lot of lenses…

Diabetic Living Photo Shoot

…and a lot of props!

And this was the real deal, folks – from wardrobe, hair and makeup, to food stylists and photo crew.  And not just for me…even the food had its own stylist.  They came with everything to make the recipes here in my kitchen and they simply took over.  I had little to do but to watch the process and then stand up and be photographed a few times.  It was a tremendous amount of fun and I was so flattered that they wanted to feature me.  And I will admit, it was pretty nice to be treated like a star for a few days.  But I am rather glad I don’t do this on a regular basis.  It could easily go to my head.  And it is a VERY involved process, so that you really are rather exhausted by the end of the day.  And it was 2 days worth of shooting!

Word to the wise:  Don’t ever get your haircut by someone new 3 days before a photo-shoot.   I asked for chin length, and unless my chin is somewhere near my cheekbones, she didn’t do a great job listening.  But the Diabetic Living stylist did her best to keep my hair from falling into my face for the ph0tos, which meant a tremendous amount of hairspray!

Diabetic Living Photo Shoot

I never, ever wear this much makeup…or do my hair this much!

Diabetic Living Photo Shoot

I am only pretending to stir whatever is in this bowl.

016

Even the food had its own stylist.

I haven’t even received my copy yet, but I can’t wait to do so.  Jessie Shafer, the food and nutrition editor for Diabetic Living, was such a treat to work with and I am eager to see what she wrote.  We had long chats about how I came to have pre-diabetes and what I was doing about it.  And how I came to have such a love of cooking and baking.  Gluten-free (and low carb) baking is so very different from conventional baking that’s like entering an alternate universe.  They actually had a little trouble with my recipes in their test kitchen at first, because no one there was used to how gluten-free flours and other ingredients behave.  We hammered out the rough spots and I gave a number of tips on gluten-free baking which are included in the article.

So I thought you, my wonderful readers, would be amused to read about my day in the spotlight.  Life got back to normal pretty quickly after that and my phone has NOT been ringing off the hook for photo shoot requests.  Hmmmm, imagine that!

So many thanks to the wonderful team from Diabetic Living:  Jessie, Michelle, Blake and the rest, it was such a pleasure!

Diabetic Living Photo Shoot

Pretty Lemon Blueberry Donuts. Not that high carb, either!

Comments

1. Congratulations! So happy for you :)

2. Congratulations Carolyn! Your blog is my absolute favorite! I love reading about your kids and chaos at times as I have my own little ones. I have made MANY of your recipes and love them all! Just wanted to say thank you.

3. How exciting!

4. Katharine says:

So fun!!! And yet I also feel a smidge of disappointment that the ADA guidelines continue to recommend carb levels that that negatively impact blood sugar. Sigh…. hopefully a shift will happen someday soon… maybe as people read this article and come to your website!

• Carolyn says:

Me too. When DL asked me to develop some recipes, I was psyched. Then I saw the nutritional requirements and it threw me a bit. But I figure that going GF and low/no sugar is a start for a lot of people. I think the shift is coming. I just wrote a piece for the Diabetes Experience on how to host a low carb wedding/event. I know different magazines and publications are starting to open up to it and I am glad.

5. Congratulations on your feature story, Carolyn! I am so very proud of you. You’ve worked so hard and deserve the spotlight. Too bad the ADA is out-to-lunch with regard to their guidelines. Once again, congrats! xo

6. Incredible! I cannot wait!! The first of MANY features, my dear! xoxo

7. Congratulations! You’re much braver than I am. ;) I’ll keep an eye out for the magazine. Can’t wait to try some of these delicious recipes! The bread looks especially awesome. :)

8. Kathy H. says:

I have my magazine already since I’m a subscriber. It’s a lovely article with great photos. The recipes are too high in carb for me. I’ll keep using the ones from your blog. It is encouraging that the diabetes “experts” are beginning to realize that there are other ways to eat with diabetes. My doctor can not believe the results I’m getting since I’ve gone low carb. Keep up the good work and thanks.

9. Look at you! Your famous! You look gorgeous as does the food. What an exciting experience. One of many I am sure ;)

10. Awesome! Will we have to wait for the magazine before we see the recipes?

11. Warm and hearty congratulations! The makeup may be more than you’re used to, but it looked good!

12. Melanie says:

Very exciting! Stupid ADA. :-)

13. Congratulations!!!

Britt @ One&20

14. Loretta says:

Hi, I can’t find your lemon blueberry donut. Am I overlooking it? Thanks!

15. Wow, congrats!! That is so incredibly exciting, things are definitely getting better and better for All Day I Dream About Food :)
    PS: I first started reading your post in a state of shock, I thought your house was actually broken into and I wanted to know how to help :(
    Thank goodness that wasn’t the case!

16. Woohoo!! Can’t wait to see the article!! You look gorgeous, Carolyn:-)

17. I was so excited to read the story about you in Diabetic Living! Thanks for clarifying about the ADA requirements- the recipes were a bit different than those on your blog. I went out an bought a donut pan to make your Lemon Blueberry Donuts, right along side some Blueberry Buttermilk Donuts for my two-year-old with a recipe from weelicious.com. Your lower-carb, gluten-free recipe was SO much more pretty than the other standard recipe. It made me very happy. As for the side by side taste test, my husband liked yours better as well. I couldn’t try the weelicious recipe because of the havoc it would reak on my blood sugar, but I LOVE your recipe. I was on a bit of a donut kick that day, so I also baked up your recipe for Cinnamon Donuts with Brown Butter Glaze. Even though I accidently left the melted butter out of the recipe (I found it in my microwave the next morning), they were fantastic as well. Oh, and not to worry, all of these donuts are in my freezer waiting to serve as a tasty breakfast or snack. Thanks for all you do :D

• Carolyn says:

Hi Amy…those lemon blueberry donuts were really good and they were the lowest carb, I think, of what I developed for DL. If you wanted them to be even lower carb, I could probably suggest some changes!

• I’d love some suggestions to make them even lower carb. They impacted my blood sugar a bit more than I expected. Do you think it has more to do with the sweetener or the gluten free flour?

18. Congrats Carolyn! Sounds like such a great experience for you. You have been doing amazing things here on your blog so I’m thrilled that you’re getting recognized for all the hard work that goes into it! Well deserved and excited to hear what comes next for you!

19. Carolyn:
    Congratulations, I guess, on being recognized by Diabetic Living. On the plus side, it says a lot about how the diabetic community (myself included) looks up to you for everything that you do. On the down side, I wish you did not allow yourself to be constrained by ADA guidelines. I hope you at least got to talk about how you control your blood sugar by low carb diet and exercise instead of by medication. But they probably wouldn’t publish something like that.

I had to laugh at your line that the test kitchen folks weren’t used to working with gluten free flours… That says a lot.

Keep up the good work, and thanks for what you do.

• Carolyn says:

Thank you, Eric. I did talk about how I controlled my blood sugar but since I haven’t seen the article yet, I don’t know if they published that. When they were here, I made them some of my hazelnut chocolate chip cake because I wanted to show them just how good low carb AND gluten-free can be. And I talked to the nutrition editor extensively about erythritol and almond flour and such.

The tide is changing….slowly. I want to take every opportunity to open people up to the idea and if people who read the magazine come to my blog, they will also see a whole new way of eating. :)

20. So so cool to see this “sneak peak!” (Though I must say your own photos are just as gorgeous as those professional ones.) I didn’t even recognize you with all that makeup – hee hee :)

21. You had me worried for a minute, congrats that’s very exciting!!

22. Fantastic Carolyn. You have made your mark in this niche helping so many eat deliciously while safely. You are a trusted source. Congrats!

Now I need to ask what the stylist was doing to your bread with the probe?!

23. jillian says:

carolyn..you are quite beautiful…i like the makeup and you could change your blog photo as it does not begin to do you justice. really enjoy your blogs and recipes, though i tend to use coconut sugars. congrats on all of your successes.

24. So happy for you! You deserve this!
    I was so thrilled to find your blog after years of reading lots of other blogs which I liked but no one really hit the nail on the head for me. — I had to do lots of substitutions and never knew how anything would turn out. My husband is a diabetic and so it was vital for me to cook / bake in a way that would keep him healthy. Now I still read the other blogs but yours is the one I jump to immediately every time I see it in my email and I have a whole future of your recipes I can use without having to mess with changes. That is so wonderful for me! Especially because my husband has a major sweet tooth and loves baked goods. So THANK YOU! Keep up the good work. I will be following you into the future with great interest and appreciation.

• Carolyn says:

Thank you, Karen! I love that you find recipes here you don’t need to change. I want people to be able to use their preferred sweeteners but I can’t guarantee the results unless people use what I used.

25. Oh, I’m so happy for you, Carolyn! Your blog’s focus reaches OUT to so many eating plans, you deserve the honors, girl! CONGRATULATIONS!

26. Congratulations on hitting the big time! :) You look great and I can’t wait to check out the article!

27. Jean B. says:

Great! And you are mighty photogenic too, even if the person who cut your hair didn’t do what you asked for.

28. Sarah G says:

Congrats Carolyn!! I love it when my favorite foodies make it big!

29. Congrats! Your blog is amazingly brilliant, all around greatness! It is definitely one of my go to blogs for my low carb info & recipes.

30. HOW EXCITING!!! Can’t wait to see it in the magazine! WHOOHOO!!

31. Wooo congrats, so happy for you! I definitely was intrigued by your first paragraph and I thought you meant a literal invasion. Great intro ;) Definitely captivating! Congrats again!

32. Congrats! What a great opportunity! You look gorgeous!

33. Congrats!

34. Dear Carolyn,

I’ve just been introduced to your website and absolutely love it. I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in 2001 and have since been living la gluten-free & sugar-free vida loca. It’s proven most effective in restoring my health and keeping me energized! So much so that my M.D. husband has now turned to eating similarly and is reaping the medical health benefits too. While there are many websites devoted to recipes that fit these parameters, I must tell you that your recipes are both delectable and a JOY to read. It feels as if we’re actually getting to chat with you over mixing bowls and cutting boards. I’m so thrilled for your recent successes. This post was the first time I “saw” your lovely face. You are as beautiful in body as you are in spirit. And it goes without saying you’re an angel in the kitchen. I’ll be following your recipes with scrumptious delight. Thank you!

All best wishes,
    Sarah

35. Carolyn, I am so thrilled for you and your successes. Not only are you beautiful on the inside as well as the outside, but you are also wonderful in the kitchen and a very talented writer/blogger! You have a LOT going for you! Keep up the good work.

36. I consistently come to your website because you post recipes that are delicious, healthy, colorful, and appetizing. Because most are not elaborate (I’m a simple person ; ) ), I have made many of the dishes and they have surpassed taste expectations by a long shot! Love what you are doing – great variety- great food!

37. This is so stinkin cool!

And you look gorgeous. :-)

38. Carolyn, somehow I missed this post earlier! Congrats on this well-deserved recognition. AND — wow, you are gorgeous! Your blog headshot does not do you justice. My DH agrees ;-)

39. That introduction was not cool. :( I have a real fear of home invasions. You know… the kind in the movies. Where they enter your home (when you’re there!) and do scary stuff. Like in The Strangers.

I actually even had a nightmare about one last night. I woke up very distressed.

Then I read this. :(

But anyway… congratulations on your feature! Very nice. :) And you look lovely in the pictures!