Posted by Carolynhttp://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2014/04/ham-cheese-calzones-low-carb-and-gluten-free.html
© 2014 All Day I Dream About Food. All rights reserved.
Ham & Cheese Calzones – Low Carb and Gluten-Free
A delicious ham and cheese filling wrapped in a buttery almond flour crust. A low carb, gluten-free version of a classic!
cups Honeyville almond flour
tbsp coconut flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
cup unflavoured whey protein powder
tbsp baking powder
tsp garlic powder
tsp xanthan gum
tbsp butter, melted
cups shredded cheese of choice (Swiss, Cheddar, Mozzarella or a combination)
& 1/2 cups chopped Smithfield ham
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- In a large bowl, combine almond flour, whey protein, coconut flour, baking powder, garlic and xanthan gum.
- Add eggs and melted butter and mix until dough comes together.
- Divide dough in half. Turn out first half onto a large piece of parchment paper and pat into a rough circle. Top with another piece of parchment paper and roll out into a large circle, about 12 inches in diameter (roll it out quite thinly). Remove top piece of parchment.
- Sprinkle one half of the circle with about 1 & 1/2 cups of shredded cheese and 3/4 cup of chopped ham, leaving a 3/4 inch border for sealing the calzone.
- Use the parchment paper to lift and gently fold the other half of the dough over the cheese and ham filling. Pinch the edges to seal and crimp it with your fingers to create a nice edge.
- Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Transfer calzones, still on the parchment on to baking sheets (or one large one, if you have it).
- Mix egg yolk in a small bowl and brush over the calzones.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
Serves 8. Each serving has 15 g of carbs and 8 g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 7 g.
573 Calories; 46g Fat (70.5% calories from fat); 29g Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 159mg Cholesterol; 877mg Sodium