Posted by Carolynhttp://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2014/10/the-best-low-carb-caramel-sauce.html
© 2014 All Day I Dream About Food. All rights reserved.
The Best Low Carb Caramel Sauce
This is the only low carb, sugar-free caramel sauce recipe you will ever need. It's ooey, it's gooey and it stays pourable! Best of all, it tastes just like the real thing.
tbsp Swerve Sweetener
tbsp coconut sugar OR 1 tbsp blackstrap molasses (you can use additional Swerve here but your caramel sauce will harden a little more upon cooling).
cup heavy cream
tsp xanthan gum
tsp kosher or sea salt
For Salted Caramel Sauce
tsp additional kosher salt or sea salt
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine butter, Swerve, and coconut sugar. Bring to a boil and cook 3 to 5 minutes (be careful not to burn it).
- Remove from heat and add cream. Mixture will bubble vigorously.
- Sprinkle with xanthan gum and whisk vigorously to combine. Add salt.
- Return mixture to heat and boil 1 more minute. Let cool to lukewarm and stir in water until well combined.
- For salted caramel, simply stir in additional salt at the end.
- The sauce can be stored in the fridge for a week or so (I've actually stored mine for several weeks). Just gently reheat in the microwave or in a saucepan to make it pourable again.
Serves 8. Each serving has 3.42 g of carbs using coconut sugar and 3.17 g using blackstrap molasses.
*You can use all Swerve for this. However, your end result will be lighter and will recrystallize more upon cooling.
Food energy: 113kcal Saturated fatty acids: 7.07g Total fat: 10.57g Calories from fat: 95 Cholesterol: 35mg Carbohydrate: 3.42g Total dietary fiber: -- Protein: 0.37g Erythritol: 11.25g