Reader Appreciation Month continues with another giveaway of one of my favourite low carb, gluten free products.
This, my friends, this might be my favourite giveaway right here. Because there is almost no greater decision in low carb, gluten free baking than what kind of sweetener or sweeteners you will use. Okay, well there is the consideration of what you will substitute for the flour. And you do have to think about how you will compensate for the lack of gluten. But in my mind, it all comes down to the sweetener. Baked goods are beloved because they are sweet and they satisfy that craving, that need for some little treat. When conventional “sweets” made with sugar are off limits to you, how to sweeten your treats is a very important decision. There are plenty of sugar substitutes out there on the market, but they are not all created equal and I certainly have my preferences. A quick look at just a few of my recipes will tell you what those are. Considerations in choosing your sweeteners include how they taste, how they are manufactured, and how they behave when combined with other ingredients and subjected to the heat of an oven.
I have for a long time relied on a combination of erythritol and stevia extract, and I still do for the most part. It works perfectly in most of my cake, muffin and cookie recipes and I’ve gotten used to it. But there are times when one wants a sugar substitute that behaves almost exactly like sugar. Swerve is by far the closest I’ve come to finding such a thing. It is an erythritol based product, but it is sweeter and can be used cup for cup to replace sugar. And, for me, one of its biggest benefits is that it does not seem to have that funny cooling sensation associated with regular erythritol. I can use it full strength and not feel like I have been sucking on a mint. When I’ve made buttercream icing, or confections like the pecan brittle in my Pumpkin Pecan Parfaits, or syrups for cocktails, it’s lived up to my expectations every time!
So, I am happy to report that I will be giving away not one but TWO Swerve Prize packs. These are so fun, and contain a 1lb bag of granulated Swerve, a 1 lb bag of powdered Swerve and a fun little Swerve lunchbox filled with baking gear. Trust me, if you are a low carber or a diabetic, YOU WANT THIS PRIZE!!! And even if you are not a low carber or a diabetic, YOU WANT THIS PRIZE!!! or I can assure you that you will be delighted with the product, as I am.
1. Open to residents of the continental United States (sorry, peeps, the shipping to Canada and beyond is just too expensive!)
2. Leave me a comment wishing me Happy Birthday (it’s tomorrow!). Yes, this IS a shameless plug for birthday wishes.
3. For additional entries you may (come back and comment so I know you did it!)
- “Like” Swerve on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SwerveSweet
- Follow Swerve on Twitter @swervesweetie
- Retweet this post
4. Contest will run until midnight on Wednesday, March 14th, at which time a winner will be chosen at random. If you have not left me your contact information and I have no way of tracking you down, I will choose a new winner.