Homemade Boursin is a creamy garlic and herb cheese spread that’s impossible to resist. It may just be the perfect appetizer! Grab some of your favorite keto crackers and let’s dig in.
This homemade Boursin recipe is quite honestly the reason I married my husband.
Sounds melodramatic, doesn’t it? And yet, when a man brings a keto friendly appetizer with this much flavor into your life, you know he’s a keeper!
In all seriousness, he introduced me to the joy that is homemade Boursin cheese. His family made it all the time when he was growing up and it quickly became a family favorite for us too.
And now I am offering this recipe for public consumption. Trust me, that is a very big deal!
Legendary Keto Cheese Spread
When I call this homemade Boursin legendary, I am not really exaggerating. We always make it to serve and share during the holidays.
And it’s become legendary among our friends. It is oft-requested for any gatherings or parties, and there’s always someone who hovers over the bowl, hardly letting anyone else near it.
That someone might be me, on a few occasions.
What is Boursin cheese?
You have probably seen the real Boursin in the cheese aisle of every grocery store. In case you haven’t tried it, let me enlighten you.
Boursin is a type of Gournay cheese that is soft, creamy, and slightly crumbly. François Boursin, a cheesemaker from Normandy, France, started adding garlic and herbs and it quickly became world renowned.
This homemade Boursin recipe uses cream cheese as the base, rather than the classic Gournay cheese. Most of us don’t really have access to plain Gournay cheese, so using cream cheese makes easier and less expensive.
Ingredients for homemade Boursin
My husband never measures anything when he makes Boursin, so it changes a bit every time. He really does everything to taste, and you can too. The basic ingredient are as follows:
- Cream cheese
- Salted butter
- Italian seasoning OR chopped fresh parsley – sometimes a little of both!
- Cracked pepper
- Dash of hot sauce
Boursin is really ridiculously easy to make and comes together in 10 minutes flat. Here are my best tips for getting it right:
- Softened ingredients. You really want both the cream cheese and the butter to be quite soft, but not melted. Unwrap them and place them in a bowl while they are still chilled, then let them sit until room temp. If it’s a bit chilly in your house, consider zapping them in the microwave for 10 seconds or so.
- Add plenty of garlic. We like our super garlicky, and usually use 4 large cloves. I prefer using a garlic press to get very small bits of garlic throughout the spread.
- Add your choice of herbs. Real Boursin takes parsley and chives but we’ve come to love it with a bit of dried Italian seasoning.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Saltiness is a matter of preference so be sure to go with less and add more to your liking.
- Dash of hot sauce. This is Tim’s unique spin on homemade Boursin. It doesn’t make it hot or spicy at all, it just really brings out the flavor.
- Serve at room temperature. Although you want to store the cheese spread in the fridge, it tastes best and spreads best at room temp.
How to serve homemade keto boursin
You may be wondering about those lovely little crackers that I paired with my Boursin cheese. They are from Real Phat Foods and they are honestly the BEST packaged keto crackers around.
I’ve tried all the other brands of keto crackers out there and some of them are pretty good. But they can’t hold a candle to the super thin, super crispy almond flour crackers from Real Phat.
I’m kind of obsessed with the Rosemary crackers, to be honest!
And RealPhat is offering all my readers 10% off with code FOODDREAMER!!! Check them out below.
You can also serve Boursin with toasted sesame keto crackers, or on fresh veggies as little keto cucumber bites, perhaps with a little smoked salmon on top.
Or mix it into creamy mashed cauliflower for incredible flavor!
I also love to smear it on leftover prime rib after our Christmas dinner. It’s so good with thinly sliced roast beef.
Homemade Boursin will last in the fridge for up to two weeks, as long as your ingredients are fresh. We make a big batch and simply store it in a covered container.
However, I do recommend serving it at room temperature, as it’s easier to spread and more flavorful.
More delicious keto appetizers
- Cheesy Keto Stuffed Mushrooms
- Buffalo Chicken Sausage Balls
- Fried Broccoli Cheese Bites
- Cheesy Keto Sausage Dip
- Fathead Crackers
Homemade Boursin Cheese Recipe
- 8 ounces cream cheese well softened
- ¼ cup salted butter well softened
- 3 to 5 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning (or chopped fresh parsley)
- ½ teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon Tabasco or other hot sauce
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter together until well combined and smooth.
- Beat in the garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and hot sauce until well combined.
- Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.