Hearty and rich Shrimp and Bacon Chowder, this is keto soup is pure comfort food. Full of tender shrimp and topped with crisp bacon, this is a must for chilly evenings.
Soup season is here! And I for one plan to make the most of it with plenty of keto soups and stews. Which, by the way, happens to be the title of my fourth ketogenic cookbook and it’s officially ON SALE TODAY! And this easy Shrimp Chowder is a sneak peek recipe from the book.
Why yes, I am the crazy keto recipe lady who is cranking out the low carb cookbooks at an alarming rate. And I make no apologies for it.
This book, though. This book is a must have because we are entering comfort food season and this is ALL COMFORT FOOD, BABY! And I want you to know how much my family and I sacrificed for your comfort.
I was creating and testing keto soup recipes all through the spring and summer. Even when the mercury rose above 80 or 90 degrees, my family was eating soup for dinner. My kids would roll their eyes every day as I dished them up some hot liquid or other. I tried hard to keep the lighter, chilled soups for the summer but we did end up testing out some of the heartier ones as well. As much as we all love soup, we were not unhappy when I finally finished the manuscript.
But a few months have passed and the weather turned very chilly here last week. And now I myself am thumbing through my book, in search tasty warm comfort food.
You can’t go wrong with a shrimp chowder recipe full of bacon, cream, and a little cajun seasoning. Oh and some diced turnip in place of potatoes. Trust me, you won’t even notice that they aren’t the taters of your pre-keto soup days.
How to Make Keto Shrimp Chowder
Keto Soups and Stews
So what’s in this new cookbook of mine?
- More than 50 soup, stew and chili recipes. I admit to playing fast and loose with what counts as a stew or a soup, so I included some more exotic things like Lamb Curry, Pork Adobo, and Chicken Paprikash. They are all stewed meat recipes so I feel it’s legit. Are you going to argue with me? I thought not.
- Three recipes for homemade broth plus my recommendations on store bought versions. Homemade is always going to be the healthiest option but I realize that’s not always practical.
- A number of tasty Extras to go with your soup like Garlic Parmesan Breadsticks and Bacon Fat Biscuits.
- My best tips on how to make and store soups for meal planning.
- A section on Special Keto Substitutions for potatoes, rice, and noodles. So many great and healthy options.
- And if you happen to be Dairy-Free, you will be happy to know that a little over 50% of the book is dairy free or dairy free option. Heck, even this delicious shrimp and bacon chowder can be made dairy free, if you care to sub coconut milk in for the heavy whipping cream!
So what are you waiting for? Soups and Stews is officially on sale and you can grab your copy on Amazon or Barnes & Noble. And I am told it should be out at Costco and Target very very soon!
Shrimp & Bacon Chowder
- In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain, reserving the bacon fat in the pan.
- Add the turnip and onion to the pan and saute until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, another minute or so. Pour in the chicken broth and simmer until the turnip is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and the shrimp and simmer until the shrimp is pink and cooked through, another 3 minutes or so. Add the Cajun seasoning and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with the bacon and chopped parsley upon serving.