Posted by https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/the-best-low-carb-caramel-sauce/
© 2014 All Day I Dream About Food. All rights reserved.
The Best Low Carb Caramel Sauce
This is the only low carb, sugar-free caramel sauce recipe you will ever need. It's ooey, it's gooey and it stays pourable! Best of all, it tastes just like the real thing.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 tbsp Swerve Sweetener
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar OR 1 tbsp blackstrap molasses (you can use additional Swerve here but your caramel sauce will harden a little more upon cooling).
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp kosher or sea salt
- 2 tbsp water
For Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1/2 tsp additional kosher salt or sea salt
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine butter, Swerve, and coconut sugar. Bring to a boil and cook 3 to 5 minutes (be careful not to burn it).
- Remove from heat and add cream. Mixture will bubble vigorously.
- Sprinkle with xanthan gum and whisk vigorously to combine. Add salt.
- Return mixture to heat and boil 1 more minute. Let cool to lukewarm and stir in water until well combined.
- For salted caramel, simply stir in additional salt at the end.
- The sauce can be stored in the fridge for a week or so (I've actually stored mine for several weeks). Just gently reheat in the microwave or in a saucepan to make it pourable again.
Serves 8. Each serving has 3.42 g of carbs using coconut sugar and 3.17 g using blackstrap molasses.
*You can use all Swerve for this. However, your end result will be lighter and will recrystallize more upon cooling.
Food energy: 113kcal Saturated fatty acids: 7.07g Total fat: 10.57g Calories from fat: 95 Cholesterol: 35mg Carbohydrate: 3.42g Total dietary fiber: -- Protein: 0.37g Erythritol: 11.25g