Peanut Butter Brownie Bites (Low Carb and Gluten Free)

It snowed on the first day of spring here in New England, did you know that? And it snowed on the the third day of spring as well. I know I am not alone when I say this, and I may actually be speaking for the entire Northeastern seaboard, but I am SO over it. I can hear more birds chirping these days and crocuses and tulips are starting to poke through the hard ground, but it’s very difficult to believe that Spring is here. It just isn’t really HERE yet. My lawn looks like someone sprinkled it lightly in powdered sugar and my kids still have to wear winter jackets, hats and mitts to school. And I desperately need a Caribbean vacation. Or at least a trip to Florida.

I had wonderful intentions of bringing you a spring-like dessert. I tried, I really did. Yesterday I got out my bag of meyer lemons and whipped up what I thought would be some lovely Meyer Lemon Cake-in-a-Jar. Except that I miscalculated on the size of the jars I would need, and my cakes only filled them up halfway. Which means that they took terrible photos. And, to be honest, the cakes themselves were only so-so. Definitely not blog-worthy. So I decided to fall back on what I know best…Chocolate. I’ve posted quite a few chocolate recipes lately, but that’s just the way it is. I am a firm believer that chocolate is good for you, both body and soul. And not just in a “everything in moderation” way, but in an “everyday” sort of way. Yes, even for diabetics. Diabetes can be a disheartening disease at times, and chocolate makes me happy. And finding ways to make chocolate treats that don’t have too much effect on my blood sugars makes me even happier. With spring seeming still so far away, I need all the happiness I can get.

So I decided to go with a recipe I’ve been thinking of for a while now. Little brownie bites made with peanut flour. These are a further adaptation of my Flourless Chocolate Cakes made with peanut flour, but made smaller (obviously) and meant to be moister and a bit fudgier, with more peanut flavour. And with a dollop of peanut butter icing on top. I was pretty certain I couldn’t go wrong.

The Results There may still be snow on the ground, but with these mini treats, I am a happy girl. These are quite a bit moister than the peanut flour cakes were, due to the addition of peanut butter and more almond milk, and I am very happy with them. We are having friends over for dinner tomorrow evening and I think these will be a hit with adults and kids alike. I don’t know that I should pat myself on the back so much. After all, it was almost a sure thing with this combo of ingredients.

Peanut Butter Brownie Bites

1 oz cream cheese, softened
3 tbsp peanut butter
2 tbsp whipping cream
1 tbsp powdered erythritol
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

18 salted peanuts, for garnish

For the cakes, preheat the oven to 280F and grease 18 cups of a mini-muffin pan.

In a medium saucepan, melt butter, peanut butter and chocolate together over low heat and stir until smooth. Add stevia and vanilla extracts and stir until thoroughly combined. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together peanut flour, erythritol and cocoa, breaking up clumps with the back of a fork. Add the chocolate mixture and stir to combine (will be very thick). Stir in eggs, one at a time, and then almond milk until mixture thins out somewhat and becomes a smooth batter.

Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins. Because the batter is quite thick, you will need to press the batter into the cups using the back of a spoon. Smooth the tops.

Bake for 15 minutes, until the cakes are just set and the middle is firm to the touch. Allow to cool in the tins.

For the frosting, beat cream cheese, peanut butter and cream together until smooth. Stir in erythritol, vanilla and stevia. Pipe or spread onto brownie bites and top each with one peanut.

Makes 18. Each brownie bite has a total of 7.1g of carbs, but only 3.8g if you subtract erythritol.

Comments

1. Anonymous says:

I love your recipes! I'm having a hard time however, finding erythritol. Where do you get it? Could I use something else in it's place? I live in Canada.

Thanks for the great ideas!
    Suzanne

2. Thank goodness these are "mini" because I want 10 of them. That would equal about 2.5 regular size right ;) YUM

3. RavieNomNoms says:

I hear ya! I couldn't believe it snowed on the first day of spring here..unreal

Those brownie bites are to die for! The peanut butter just makes it for me, as always ;-)

4. Evan @swEEts says:

We both have something posted of the chocolate peanut butter variety, however mine is no way low carb! Your little bites look delicious.. I was in Philly for work this past week and it was freezing! I'm ready to get back to TX where its actually spring!

5. These look great really delicious. I've never seen a recipe call for peanut flour, and I love the idea. As a fellow New Englander, I can't wait for this snowy nonsense to end. I'm still wearing boots and my winter coat. So not OK!

6. Hi Suzanne,

Being Canadian originally, I know it's sometimes tougher to find things there. The Whole Foods near me carries it under two brands…Zsweet and Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Zero. But I usually order it online from Amazon, it's a lot cheaper. It may not be so for you, though, the shipping may up the price. But google it and see what you find, hopefully you can find some deals.

7. Jeanine - The Baking Beauties says:

Those are just beautiful, Carolyn! We've got the snow thing going on here too. The kids start spring break after today, but went to school today again wearing snow pants, mitts, toques, the whole bit. Maybe spring jackets will be soon (fingers crossed). And chocolate is good any time of year. :)

8. These little chocolate peanut gems are adorable. My neighbor's granddaughter has Juvenile diabetes, s these would be great for her!

Here in Chicago Land the temperature is going the other way. the high is in the low 30's. Spring? I think not.

peanut butter and chocolate seriously make everything better! do you think you could use PB2 in place of peanut flour?

10. Did our minds mesh together, I just made some brownie bites too! Great minds think alike. These look scrumptious Carolyn – Yummee!!!

11. A SPICY PERSPECTIVE says:

Oh Carolyn! I could let these would cause serious problems for me. This classic combo is completely irresistible and I'm always amazed at your "alternative" recipes! :)

12. The best thing about chocolate is it is an all-year-round treat! I could 3 of these. Or 10. No, I should probably stop at 2. *sigh ♥-K

13. A little bit of everything says:

Here in VA it didn't snow although they say it's going to this weekend but it's cold, we still have the heat on and it's late March. I was sunny days.
    Your chocolate mini cakes sound delicious. PB and chocolate = heavenly delicious

14. briarrose says:

I love these….so cute!

15. What little beauties! As always, I'm amazed by what fabulous treats you make for our eyes and palates :)

16. Charlie @ SweetSaltySpicy says:

YUM these sound so good! Peanut butter and chocolate are made to go together and mini brownies (and mini anything) are so cute ;).

17. Ho wow wow..I am totally drooling over those..Love your photos too, stunning and sooo delicious! This deserve huge buzz:)

love the way the icing is put delicious

19. Love that chocolate is an everyday kind of thing! I couldn't agree more. Peanut butter and chocolate is one of my all-time favorite combos…I think I could eat about a dozen of these!

20. Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking says:

These brownie bites are so lovely, Carolyn! The perfect low carb chocolatey fix. Thanks for sharing. Happy spring to you! :)

21. Cake Duchess says:

Peanut butter and chocolate is fine with me! I can't wait for your spring like recipes…until then, this is just perfect:)

22. MikeVFMK says:

Peanut butter and chocolate? Hell yes. Love these brownie bites, Carolyn!

23. lisa@ Tarte du Jour says:

Your brownie bites look heavenly! Peanuts and chocolate… a classic combination. Delicious! And I hate to tell you that I went to the beach tonight for a picnic and sunset with my family down here in south Florida. I hope your snow stops soon!

24. Cookette says:

I am always looking for great gluten free recipes and this looks amaaazing!

25. Firefly@fireflyblog.org says:

They look so perfect and yummy! Could have all of them now :)

26. Ive never worked with peanut flour before. (i get all excited to work with new ingredients). These look adorable and delicious.

27. The Souper says:

Carolyn, I hear ya 'bout spring in Northeast…NOT. But good weather will be here soon. Enjoying your adorable little brownie pics. You make me want to pop them in my mouth this morning :)

The Souper

You're right, you can't go wrong with that combination. I hope the weather turns around for you and your spirits soon. These brownie bites look so delicious! Yummy!

29. Angela@RecipesFromMyMom says:

As we dipped back down into the 30s this week, I noticed my appetite craved chocolate and spices, instead of citrus and berries. I'm in denial about the on-coming snow but will be able to face it better with one of your mini treats.

30. Kate @ Diethood.com says:

I love love love these! I say this all the time, PB and chocolate is the best combo on earth!
    Your photos are making me drool – gorgeous.

31. These look so moist and good!!
    I would love for you to join my first Eats and Treats food party!

32. Susi's Kochen und Backen says:

Carolyn, I'm sorry the weather is still so miserable up there, but you could always take a vacation to AZ, where it is almost pool weather (just stating the facts, not trying to be mean).
    However, with warmer temperatures my taste for chocolate disappears more in favor of lighter fruit desserts. If I could eat these yummy peanut butter bites though, I'd gladly come to your neck of the woods!

33. Magic of Spice says:

These are just too cute! I adore mini treats, and I am insane for chocolate so these could get me in trouble :)

34. Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. says:

Love this one. What is granulated erythritol?

35. These look AMAZING!!! I love your pictures too.

36. Those look amazing. I will definately be trying them for my gluten free friends. Thanks!

37. Chef Dennis says:

hi Carolyn

I'm with you, its time for better weather, we have just been beaten down this winter! As for chocolate, yes please may I have another….I love the fact that used peanut flour, I really need to start using all those wonderful flours that are available!
    Thanks for all you bring to our community!
    Dennis

38. scratch-made wife says:

I'm a firm believer peanut butter makes everything better – and I absolutely love chocolate – so I'm sure I'd love these! Your recipe sounds great, and your photos are so beautiful.

39. Your pictures look soooo pretty! They look too good to just eat one, that could be a problem, LOL!
    Take care,
    Terra

40. Elizabeth says:

Beautiful!

41. Dulce Dough says:

These look fantastic! My son used to be on a GF diet and I wish I had all your wonderful recipes then!

42. Beloved Green says:

The weather is not much better in the Midwest. I went out for a run today and I was definitely shivering. But it is a great time to bake. These look delightful!

43. Angie's Recipes says:

Those brownie bites look awesome with peanut butter frosting! So cute!

44. Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels says:

Your brownie bites are too cute! I love the peanut butter frosting on top, they look just perfect. Now if only I had a dozen of them right now. :)

45. Nami @ Just One Cookbook says:

They look so cute! Your delicious pictures are amazing! This recipe will get lots of buzz for sure! Very nicely done!

46. The only problem I have with your bites is that I'll probably end up eating much more peanut butter brownie than if I had a regular one :D hehe. They look sooooooooo lovely, and the frosting is just a killer! Yum!

47. Barbara @ Modern Comfort Food says:

I'll look forward to the next round of your Meyer lemon cakes that didn't work out for you this time, but in the meantime, I'm definitely on board with these lovely brownie bites. Chocolate, peanut butter, and cream cheese? Yes, pretty please!

48. I couldn't agree more on the snow! But I could easily find consolation in brownie bites. These are so cute! I would never have thought of using peanut flour. In fact, I knew almond and hazelnut flours existed, but not peanut!

49. She's Cookin' says:

I'm sorry that you're getting more snow! But glad that these little brownie bites can make you forget about the weather for awhile :) They look soooo moist and delicious!

50. megan @ whatmegansmaking says:

Great idea on these! They sound perfect. I've never used peanut flour before!

51. Wilde in the Kitchen says:

I just got a mini cupcake pan and I think this might be the recipe that I break it in with! Looks tasty and I'm loving the peanut butter frosting on top!

52. Brownies + peanut butter? Oh yeah!!!

53. Those look wonderful.

54. I am definitely going to be trying out this recipe ASAP! Looks delicious!

55. Kim - Liv Life says:

MMM!!! MMMM!!! MMMM!! I'm loving these!! I've really been trying to eat healthier and have not had my regular doses of peanut butter recently. These would SO hit the spot!!
    While I'm not in New England, and I know that I can't complain about my temperate weather, I'm also SO ready for spring. We are having fairly good weather and my roses all have buds, but I'm ready for some Caribbean or Hawaiian-like days myself. Fingers crossed that they come to both of us soon!!

56. Sommer J says:

You, my dear, are the peanut/peanut butter queen! Your creativity never cease to amaze me or make my stomach want to eat itself hehe. These look incredible and so happy to have read this because I have a HUGE hankering for peanut butter anything!

57. Reporting back: The friend I sent this too has already e-mailed me back to say: These look so good! (I agree.)

58. Lee Kirsten says:

I too, would really love to know where in the world to find erithyrol (sp?),and I work in a nutrition department of a large retail store specific to the northwest. We have stevia, and Xylitol, which some people say is bad for you, but none of the Erithyrol, and no peanut flour, and no coconut flour. (we do have almond, at 10.49 per small bag, from Bob's Red Mill, might also be N.W. specific, not sure). I notice that nobody has been posting responses to the questions here, so maybe I will just find a way to order this stuff online. Thanks!

59. Carolyn says:

Hi Lee Kirsten – I find that erythritol is best ordered online. You can find it at Whole Foods under brand names Zsweet and Wholesome Sweeteners organiz zero. I do answer specific questions on my blog, but I receive so many about erythritol that I put the information under my FAQ page, the link is at the top of my blog. Thanks!

60. I made these and loved them the next day after they had been refrigerated. They were like little fudge bites. I screwed up on the frosting though. It was not very smooth and the oils were not playing nice, but I think I just didn't whip it long enough. Overall, we loved it.

61. Anonymous says:

I am seriously obsessed with all your recipes!!! You go girl!! Thank you for sharing!

62. I made these today for my dad’s treat for Father’s Day…I subbed coconut flour, almond butter and coconut milk and they turned out great!

63. Just found this recipe today and made it. They came out a little different (I think) due to having to fudge (hah) on a few of the ingredients. Still tasted delicious! Here are my ways in which you can still not screw this recipe up (these aren’t suggestions/improvements, merely what I had to do):

-Go light on the peanut butter in the brownies themselves (I just didn’t have much left and wanted plenty for the frosting)
    -Use lightly sweetened 76% cacao chocolate bar (an extra carb or two, meh)
    -No stevia extract…dropped in some almond extract instead.
    -Ended up using mostly granulated stevia for the sweetener, as I only had about 1/4 cup total of Swerve left.
    -Almond flour instead of peanut
    -Half and half instead of heavy cream (used a little extra to thin out the frosting…my peanut butter was super thick)
    -Added half a tbsp. or so of vanilla (carb/sugar free) protein powder to the frosting to get the flavor/sweetness I wanted

Totally came out fine. Will likely make again!

64. Hi! I a big fan of chocolate and peanut butter, but I didn’t found peanut flour (I’m from Canada), so I was wondering if replacing it by almond flour was ok? Thx :)

1. […] year for Father’s Day I made a variation of this recipe from All Day I Dream About Food and it was a huge hit.  It’s rich and chocolatey and […]