Spicy Chipotle Hummus

I can remember the very first time I ever heard of hummus. I was 17 and was up in the far reaches of Ontario on an Outward Bound program. We were doing a ropes course and other various team-building activities and someone mentioned that we were having hummus for lunch. I was all sorts of confused, since all I could think of was “humus”, as in the humus layer of decomposing leaves and other organic material that lies on the forest floor and that I had probably just studied in school. I was fairly relieved to discover that it was a spread made of chickpeas, tahini and olive oil, and even more relieved to discover that it tasted great. Mind you, everything we ate on that Outward Bound program tasted great. Hunger is the best seasoning and with all the activity we were getting, we were always hungry!

It’s hard to imagine a time now when I wasn’t familiar with Middle Eastern dishes like hummus, tabbouleh and dolmas. But back in high school, these things were new territory for me and most people I knew. Since that time, I’ve eaten my fair share of it all. I worked in a Lebanese bakery in university and was often allowed to take home items that were left over at the end of the day. And in grad school, some of the most popular restaurants around the school were Middle Eastern, because the food was great and didn’t put too much pressure on a poor grad student’s wallet.

Despite all of this, I’d never made hummus at home until now. I knew it was remarkably easy to make, it just happened to be even easier to buy it from Trader Joe’s. But I had a hankering for it and I knew I didn’t want the plain jane kind. Trader Joe’s makes a chipotle hummus but they kind of wimp out on the heat and I wanted to taste that smokey, spicey goodness. I also knew that by making it at home with dried chickpeas, I could up the health factor so that it was fresher and contained more fiber and less salt. More bang for my buck, so to speak.

The Results: Yup, homemade hummus is remarkably easy to make, and it’s delicious to boot! Now I have to ask myself why I never did this before. The hardest part is cooking or soaking the chickpeas, which takes some forethought. Yes, you can use canned, but they contain far more sodium and a lot less fiber than their dried and reconstituted counterparts. I also love the chipotle in this. It gives it a great colour and it’s not burn-your-mouth hot but it has a nice slow sizzle after you take a bite. It pairs perfectly with pita chips and veggies, and although I haven’t tried it this way, I imagine it would be great on a sandwich too.

This makes a big batch so feel free to half it. I was taking some to my book club and wanted to keep some at home as well. You can also do more or less chipotle, as you like.

Spicy Chipotle Hummus

1 1/2 cups dried chick peas
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup tahini
2 to 3 whole chipotle peppers in adobo, chopped
4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
juice of half a lemon
2 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup water

Place chickpeas in a medium pot and cover with water by several inches. Cover pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 20-30 minutes or until tender but not mushy. Alternatively, you can cover chickpeas with water and let stand overnight.

Drain and rinse chickpeas. Place in food processor, along with olive oil, tahini, chipotles, garlic, lemon juice and cumin. Process until it begins to form a paste.

Taste and add more chipotle if desired, as well as salt and pepper to taste. With processor running, slowly pour water in through feed tube until a creamy consistency is achieved. Scrape down sides of processor with a rubber spatula as needed.

Comments

1. ravienomnoms says:

I love this! I really really like hummus and I like that you can make it at home and flavor it however you want. I am totally enjoying your version

2. I had the same thought on hummus when I first heard the name from my mom…my reaction"you eat what???"LOL! But it is delicious!
    You made it amazing..love that you used chick peas…looks wonderful!

3. Tastemonials says:

I keep reading that homemade is so much better than Trader Joe's. That's so hard to imagine, so I'm just going to have to try it at some point.

4. Jeanine says:

This looks fantastic! I love hummus, but haven't ventured into varying the flavours yet.

5. Charlie @ SweetSaltySpicy says:

This hummus sounds delicious; I love spicy hummus!!! I add tabasco to mine :).

6. My husband and I were just talking about making our own, but I hadn't had time to look for a recipe, or buy any tahini. Thanks for sharing.
    it will have much less sodium made your way, Beautiful pics.

7. I didn't know canned chickpeas had less fiber than dried. This hummus looks and sounds amazing. Up until about a year ago, I didn't even like the stuff. I'm excited to try this version:)

8. Healthy Mamma says:

Oh, hahaa, that's funny. Trader Joes does have an awesome hummus for last minute hummus emergencies, but home made is always better! This is a great idea! I loooove hummus and have some chipotle peppers leftover in my fridge from my South West chickpea burgers! Yay!

9. nazarina says:

I love how you made this delicious-looking hummus the old fashioned way by cooking the chick peas first. Really scrumptious! I think you had the best teacher, the Middle Eastern store!
    I cracked up at the " decomposing" bit!

10. MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College says:

I often ask myself why I don't make homemade hummus! It would be so easy but I think I am intimidated, I have pretty high hummus standards :-) Trader Joe's Mediterranean Hummus is the best. I love it!

11. I'm sad to say that I can't eat chickpeas, but how I wish I could. I used to be able to, and I think knowing how good hummus is makes it even harder! Your version with the chipotle looks amazing!

12. Molly @ Toffee Bits and Chocolate Chips says:

oh my goodness this looks delicious! I've been a hummus nut recently! I tried lemon and artichoke- not impressed. But spicy chipolte- that's one I'll have to try!

13. Corrine says:

Sounds delicious! I love hummus and chipotle, will be making this soon :)

14. Angela@RecipesFromMyMom says:

The one time I tried to make hummus I used canned chickpeas and it just didn't taste as good as store-bought. I will have to try the dried chickpeas. We love hummus as a spread on sandwiches.

15. whatsfordinneracrossstatelines says:

Just bumped you up sweet! Who wouldn't like this hummus. Hope you are having a great week.
    -Gina-

16. I've been watching it snow and craving humus all week. I have everything in the house to make this, and I will soon.
    Thank you!

First, a confession. I usually don't have much to say about hummus recipes because I'm a snob when it comes to hummus, having been raised on the home made authentic Eastern version. For me it's one of those things that is best unadulterated; pure.

Until today. I saw the title and started smiling at the word chipotle. How amazing is that addition!?! What a brainstorm. I'm in love with it and I haven't even tried it. But I can't wait to.

Absolutely fantastic recipe. Thanks!

18. Kate @ Diethood.com says:

Ooooh, heat in hummus! Now we're talking – I am loving the addition of chipotle!

19. thecoffeebreak says:

I love to have hummus with fresh veggies or pita bread, never thought to make it with chipotle! Thanks for sharing!

20. Mr. & Mrs. P says:

We love chillis in adobo! Nice combo

21. Kim - Liv Life says:

I've only tried to make my own hummus this years, like you TJ's is even easier. However, mine was really, really good! I didn't make anything with a flavor in it, but this one would be appealing to my husband. It's nice to be able to control the spice as he always likes things a little spicier than they come.

22. Evan @swEEts says:

I keep telling myself I need to try and make my own hummus.. and if you say its easy to make I'm sold! I can't wait to try this!

23. A little bit of everything says:

i grew up in a family where hummus was home made as long as I can remember but just plain ol' hummus. I tried once adding yogurt to it as seen on another blog and next time I'm going to make your version. Love the heat factor
    thanks for sharing Carolyn

24. Hummus is my kids favorite after school snack! I make it actually quite often, but I "cheat" with canned beans. Your version sounds and looks great, and I love the heat from the chipotle peppers.

25. briarrose says:

I love the spicy factor. Hummus makes such a wonderful snack.

26. Spicie Foodie says:

I couldn't agree more, home made hummus beats any store brand. I always make mine starting with dried chickpeas, just love it. How neat that you worked at a middle eastern bakery, yummy.

27. Umm Mymoonah says:

I'm ready to dip some pitta into it, very nice pictures.

28. Betty Ray says:

This variety sounds delicious. I nearly fell over when I found out how easy hummus was to home make. Can't wait to try this one.

29. scratch-made wife says:

That looks so good – and I love your little ramekin. I'm thinking I could eat this on a turkey sandwich or with carrots or celery or crackers … You've filled me with ideas!

30. Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels says:

I LOVE hummus but I never make my own. I think it's about time I did! Your hummus looks sooo good and I love the addition of chipotle peppers. :)

31. Chipotle pretty much makes anything better. Adding it to hummus is a great call…

32. Thanks for inspiring a hummus craving! This looks delicious.

33. Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Having says:

I actually just bought tahini to make hummus, but discovered I'm out of chickpeas. Once I stock up I'll try this!

34. Cake Duchess says:

I love homemade hummus! My mom makes it sometimes for us when there is a party…I should ask her to make it more often. And spicy like you did:) I was just studying "humus" last night w/my daughter for her science test today;)

35. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen says:

I always make hummus at home, it's so easy and it tastes so much better than even the best store bought kind. It's one of those great feel healthy snacks, I love it!

36. I adore hummus too, but have never enjoyed it with chipotle. I love spicy, and smokey, so will definitely have to try this. I think I only made it once, and it ended up being a really boring, and well not really good recipe. So I still have not ventured to make my own again, I need to get on that maybe:)
    Take care,
    Terra

37. Emily Ann says:

This looks delicious! I thought that Chipotle was a pepper… great choice for the flavor. I think I too was hesitant the first time I tried hummus :)

38. Well this sounds yummy. I love hummus. I love different adding different things to mine, but haven't tried the peppers. Yummy.

39. Magic of Spice says:

I adore hummus and yours came out beautifully. I have never made it myself either, but Adam keeps promising to make us some :)
    Hope your having a great week

40. Jane of All Trades says:

I never heard of hummus until I went to college (at a small liberal arts school). Now I eat it all the time on everything because it is so delicious and good for you!

41. After reading your introduction about having hummus and other dishes and working in a Lebanese bakery my eyes about popped out of my head when I read that you had never made hummus. I looove how great it is when I make it at home. I really love that I can control the consistency. Some brands make it way to thin for my liking and others too batter like. At home its my way :) Last time I made some I roasted some red peppers and threw them in as well. I love a spice filled hummus.

42. Firefly@fireflyblog.org says:

Yummy I can't wait to make some!

43. Cakewhiz says:

I have some boiled chickpeas sitting in my refrigerator which means I am making this for lunch tomorrow. It looks easy and i like my hummus spicy. So, hooray for me :)

44. You gave me a great idea how to use those 2 cups of leftove chickpeas that I have :) thanks

45. Amy Bakes Everything says:

Beautiful! I really love hummus, but I can't buy it close – I've made my own (and had to eat it all myself) for a long time – I love the chipotle – will add for sure next time!

46. Claire Gallam says:

This looks amazing!!!!!! :) I love chipotle in anything!

47. that sure looks great! never worked with chipotle peppers… sure love the spicy combo.

48. Tiffany says:

I heart chipotles! This sounds fantastic!

49. We love hummus over here too. Thanks for sharing this simple recipe with us. Nothing is better than the homemade stuff. xo

Hummus was the main reason I bought a food processor. Love at first bite. It makes a wonderful dip or spread for a sandwich. This sounds and looks so delicious! Yummy!

51. Stephanie says:

Making hummus is easy and it's so good! I love being able to add flavors to it. Your chipotle hummus sounds wonderful!

52. Fresh and Foodie says:

Middle Eastern cuisine is one of my favorites, and homemade hummus is leaps and bounds better than store bought. I like putting an extra glug of olive oil on the top just before serving. Yum.

The one time I made homemade hummus I used canned chickpeas, but I'd love to try it with dry. Your hummus looks incredibly creamy and wonderful.

54. Scarletta Bakes says:

This is fantastic!

I love that you used dried chick peas and I ESPECIALLY love that you used chile peppers in adobo sauce.

Thanks so much for the recipe!!

55. Love how you added the cumin and chipotle for a nice change from regular hummus. Great flavors. Sounds delish!

56. Jeanette says:

I love homemade hummus, and a spicy one is right up my alley. Homemade hummus is so much better than store-bought. There's a few good ones out there, but I've had many I've been disappointed with after I brought it home.

57. I love homemade hummus, especially since I can control what goes into it. I will have to try your version, it looks very tasty!

58. I already know I'm going to love this! I can't wait to make it!

Mary xx
    Delightful Bitefuls

59. Lemons and Anchovies says:

Congrats on making your very own hummus and it looks great, too! So much better than the store bought kind. The Southwestern influence is a clever idea. :-)

60. Looks like a delicious recipe – can't wait to try it!

61. Cajun Chef Ryan says:

Hummus is a wonderful and healthful item, it is a wonder that restaurants other than Middle-Eastern, Greek, Persian, or Indian influenced to not prepare or offer it on their menus.

And this one with the chipotle is amazing in flavor!

Bon appetit!

62. I make hummus all the time, but always a plain version. You've just convinced me to shake it up a bit…this sound incredible!!!

63. Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic says:

This looks great. I love hummus and I love chipotle! Never made homemade hummus before but I'm certainly inspired to do so now!

64. Janet Marie says:

Great pictures. This is the version we use for hummus, it's wonderful!

65. Oh, i don't know–rotting leaves and twigs sound kinda goo–nah! Your hummus looks way better-like "give me a bowl and some chips and let me eat the whole thing" good!

66. Lisa @ Tarte du Jour says:

Your hummus looks amazing! I love the "Middle East meets Mexico" theme with the chipotle hummus!

67. Elisabeth says:

Carolyn-I make homemade hummus, just not often enough, Lora was right about that. I must try your version with the chipotle, since the spicy version really kicks it up.
    Yumm…Love it!

68. Looks great!

I am surprised you say homemade hummus is easy- I havent been brave enough to try, but this looks delicious.

69. All That's Left Are The Crumbs says:

Hummus is one of my favorite snacks. I love the taste and the fact that it is good for you. Thanks for giving me another way of trying it.

70. foodblogandthedog says:

Hummus is one of the things I OD'd on when I was younger. Being a vegetarian then it was one of the only things I could eat. I have to admit I got sick of it and haven't made any for ages. This spicy chipotle version is swaying me back though!!

71. megan @ whatmegansmaking says:

great idea making it spicy! I love hummus :)

72. I love hummus and how easy it is to make. However, I have so far only made it "natural" so I'd love to try out your recipe and make a spicy one :)

73. Ooh, this looks so incredibly delicious, Carolyn! I used to not like Middle Eastern hummus, since 'hummus' simply meant chick pea to me growing up and eating North African food. The schmear seemed weird. I love it now though too, and yours is making me want to make some…
    p.s. Kudos on making yours from dry beans too.
    p.s.s. Still jealous of your lighting;-)

74. I tried making hummus numerous times while I was vegetarian, but I could never make it the right consistency. Your trial has renewed my enthusiasm to try it again! Thanks for the chipolte idea. Yum!

Emilie