Feta And Spinach Garlic Rolls (Low Carb)

My husband has a deep and abiding love for feta cheese – so much so that I often tease him that feta is his favourite food. He likes to add it to recipes that don’t call for any, and seems to think it’s a cure-all for bland foods. Oh, pizza that doesn’t have much flavour? Add feta! That casserole is a little ho-hum? Add feta! As a general rule, I don’t mind this obsession. There are worse things he could be obsessed with, after all. On the rare occasion that I fight the addition of feta, it’s mostly because I want to taste the recipe without it before making a judgement call. But he’s right a lot of the time, feta really does add a tangy flavour dimension to some otherwise bland foods.

So when I dreamed up this recipe, I knew he would love it. There wasn’t a shadow of a doubt. Ever since I made my Garlic and Herb Rolls, I’ve been thinking about how easy the dough is to make and how well it would work with other flavours. Feta and spinach instantly came to mind. At first, I thought about making buns filled with the feta and spinach, but the pinwheel rolls are so attractive, I decided to stick with that format. This time round, I left butter and garlic out of the actual filling, and simply brushed the tops of the rolls before they went into the oven. This way, I avoided the mess of butter running out during baking, and still got all the flavour. Also, because the filling makes these bigger, heartier rolls, I cut them into 16 instead of 12.

The Results: I honestly didn’t have any worries that these wouldn’t be good. I knew the dough itself was good, and I couldn’t really go wrong with the filling. It was more a matter of figuring out the details, such as how much filling to make. Fortunately, I got it right from the start. I am also glad I brushed the garlic butter on the top, as the bits of garlic got all toasted and crunchy. These are truly a must-make recipe, especially if you have a die-hard feta lover in your house. They are tender and flavourful and they pair well with any number of other foods like soup or salad. And the pinwheel shape is so lovely and is right at home for a casual or elegant dinner.

If you aren’t a low carber and want to make something comparable, I direct you to the original recipe on A Little Bit of Everything. Her dough is the regular flour, full carb version. Do keep in mind that her recipe makes double the rolls, so you will either have to make half of her dough, or double my filling. Either way, you will love them!

Spinach and Feta Garlic Rolls

Dough:
2 cups carbalose flour
1/3 cup vital wheat gluten
1/2 cup whole milk, lukewarm (about 110F)
1/2 cup water, lukewarm (abut 110F)
1 package rapid rise yeast
1 large egg, lightly beaten

Filling:
1 12 oz package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed of excess moisture
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 tsp marjoram
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper

Garlic Butter:
2 tbsp butter, softened
2 cloves garlic, pressed

Preheat oven to 200F for 10 minutes and then turn oven off.

In a medium bowl, stir together carbalose flour, gluten flour and salt. Set aside

In the bowl of your mixer, combine milk and water. Sprinkle yeast over and mix well. Mix in egg until combined.

With the mixer on low speed, slowly add flour mixture until combined. Dough may be quite sticky, but do not add any more flour.

With greased hands, shape dough into a smooth ball and place in a lightly greased bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Place in warm oven for 30-45 minutes, or until doubled in size.

Meanwhile, combine spinach, feta, marjoram, salt and pepper together in a medium bowl.

Roll out dough on a lightly greased surface into a rough rectangle, 12 x 16 inches or so. Spread spinach mixture over dough, leaving a 1/2 inch border around all edges. Starting at a longer side, roll up dough tightly into a log and pinch to seal the edge.

Cut log into 16 equal portions and place on a silpat or parchment-lined baking sheet (I found the cutting to be easiest with a serrated knife and a sawing motion. The fibrous spinach did not cut well with thread). Put back into warm oven and let rise until doubled, about 20 to 30 more minutes.

Remove from oven and increase heat to 375F. In a small bowl, combine butter and garlic and brush over the top of each roll. Once oven is preheated, bake rolls 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.

Serves 16. Each roll has a total of 8.2 g of carbs and 3.6 g of fiber, so net carbs equals 4.6 g.

Comments

1. Michael Richardson says:

I like these. I am trying to think if they would be workable in minature form as a hors d'oeuvre. I am sure they have a ton of flavor.

2. Angela@RecipesFromMyMom says:

I think my husband might be related to your husband ;> Feta is practically a condiment in our house. Love how you enhanced your original recipe to bring us these beauties.

3. Lindsey says:

YUM! These rolls look irresistible! You absolutely can't go wrong with spinach and feta. :)

4. Charlie @ SweetSaltySpicy says:

Your husband is right, feta makes everything better :). These rolls look delicious!

We are feta fans in our household. I know we would love these rolls. Especially with the crunchy bits of garlic on top. Yummy!

6. Parsley Sage says:

Feta lover, right here. Wow. Those are some sexy rolls! Before I even saw the picture, I read the title of the post and I was like 'HOO-RAH! Brilliant recipe, thanks for sharing :)

7. In and Around Town says:

Wow those are beautiful! Such a get roll that you really can have at anytime with almost anything!

8. Tiffany says:

These spinwheels are so pretty! I could eat them as is … or paired with pasta … or a salad … or soup! YUM!

9. The Cafe Sucre Farine says:

Just beautiful, like they come from some fancy bakery! How great with a Greek Salad, yum!

10. Sandra says:

Yes I do agree with your husband..feta is amazing with anything and everything..even on its own:)))
    I love this recipe, I mean I loveeee it!!! Thanks for much for sharing!!!

11. RavieNomNoms says:

What a perfect little roll! I love every ingredient you have here. It would be a great appetizer to any meal or even as a size to some pasta…look incredible!

12. Victoria says:

Low carb or not, these look pretty awesome :) I agree with your hubby, feta makes the world a better place. My favorites are French and Bulgarian fetas, Greek is not really as good, as far as I'm concerned. I'm a feta elitist, lol.

13. Emily @ A Cambridge Story says:

So pretty! Feta is such a fabulous ingredient. (And I guess spinach is too!)

14. Magic of Spice says:

I agree with your husband…feta is good, no great :) These look like they came out perfectly and delicious!

15. Jill Colonna says:

Now that you've mentioned the magic word, Feta, I think it's time I added it to things, too. You've inspired me again with another fab recipe, Carolyn. These rolls look SO tasty – and pretty, too!

16. Yum!!! These rolls look & sound amazing! Can't wait to try out your recipe! :)

17. Maris (In Good Taste) says:

I agree with yuor husband! I love feta cheese and cannot wait to make these

18. Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. says:

This looks incredible! I have bookmarked this one

19. Spicie Foodie says:

I have to agree with your husband, I love feta too. Your Spinach rolls look so mouthwatering and turned out perfect.

20. claire says:

holy cow this looks amazing! i am literally drooling!

21. Jennifurla says:

me too me too, I love feta myself. This recipe looks great and I bet taste good too.

22. Luiz Claudio says:

Nice dish, my friend! I'll do it at next weekend. Cheers from Brazil!

23. safire says:

This looks delicious and beautiful :) thank you for sharing! I'm a huge fan of feta too but I normally just use it in salads.

I love these! Feta cheese is so good, these rolls sound fantastic!

25. Your husband would be horrified to hear that I don't much like feta, at least on its own. But, these look delightful! I think they may just work for my low-key feta tastes. I'm going to add them to my Mother's Day picnic list for this Sunday, so thank you :)

26. I think I'm going to really cheat and use crescent rolls or some canned biscuits. The filling looks wonderful but I know there's no time to make dough these days…

27. kitchenmisfit says:

Those look amazing!

28. The Harried Cook says:

I love feta too and I love spinach… I think these rolls would disappear in our home… Thanks for sharing :)

29. freeeatsfood.com says:

I would have to agree with your husband on this one! I'm dairy free now, but feta used to be a weak spot for me. I think I am in love with its' saltiness. Yum, and with spinach, divine.

30. I actually saved your other garlic and herb rolls, but these look even more amazing! Can't go wrong with feta!

31. Beth Michelle says:

Living in the middle east we have so many different varieties of feta. I use it a lot in our house too, we love it! These look amazing.

32. I love love love feta ! Where I am from, Macedonia, we eat it 3 times a day ! These pastries look to die for !

33. mangocheeks says:

Carolyn,
    I woudl love one of these right now and its breakfast time in the U.K!

34. These rolls looks really really good!!! I like making rolls so I will have to try these ones too ASAP :)

35. Emily @ Life On Food says:

What a great variation! I loved the garlic; I am sure I will adore the feta.

36. A SPICY PERSPECTIVE says:

I'm with you on adding feta–it's so salty and perky!

These look utterly amazing, and again, I can't believe they are low carb.

37. Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels says:

What gorgeous rolls, they look perfect. My mama would LOVE these!! :)

38. Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen} says:

Serves 16? That would serve about 4 in my family! Those look amazing!

39. Anonymous says:

holy feta! looks amazing. i wonder if i could make this gluten free?? hmm… bookmarked it with my cookmarked.com account!

40. Lick My Spoon says:

Carolyn, I love pinwheels of any kind and adding garlic is right up my alley. Although I don't have such an addiction to feta as your other half, I'm sure the tanginess goes fab with the garlic. Yummy.

41. Claire Gallam says:

How incredibly DECADENT! Yum!

42. Farmgirl Gourmet says:

These looks amazing Carolyn! I want them right now! :) I love the pics!! Great job!

43. briarrose says:

Beautiful, savory rolls. My husband would be in heaven…he has his own addiction to feta going. ;)

44. Cooking Rookie says:

These rolls are so cute :-). I also made spinach roll yeasterday, but the spinach was the roll not the filling. It would be cute to have both of these in one meal :-)

45. Nami @ Just One Cookbook says:

Hi Carolyn, I never get disappointed by coming here. You are really cute trying to put feta to anything your husband would like – I just smiled. :-) It reminds me to be more nice to my hubby. haha. These rolls look really tasty. Your kids are lucky…My kids don't get to eat anything like this homemade bread…

46. Tracey says:

Those look phenomenal!!

47. Pegasuslegend says:

I am so trying these this weekend I love this filling its fabulous!

48. What delicious pinwheels! I, too, love the spinach feta combo…DELISH!!!

49. Cookin' Canuck says:

What a pretty presentation and with that feta cheese…well, let's just say I'd be willing to arm wrestle your husband for the last one on the plate.

50. Butrcreamblondi says:

The toasted garlic bits on top got me! These sound incredible and they're so pretty!

51. Matt - mmWine says:

Not a huge feta fan but I'd give em a shot!

52. Correen says:

Your hubby is right on spot about feta…lovin' it here in our house too. Besides being delish, I'm sure, these rolls look so pretty too. I'd love 'em along side a warm brothy soup or summery balsamic-laced tomato salad…ut oh mouth watering ;)

53. Anonymous says:

Absolutely gorgeous!!! And your recipes are interesting too. ;0)

54. Katie @ This Chick Cooks says:

Oh my goodness! These sounds absolutely heavenly. I wish there was a way for a virtual taste :) I'd love to feature them on my Wednesday spotlights if that is ok.

55. Megan'sCookin' says:

These look fun and delicious!

56. These sound like the perfect meal accompaniment! I bet I would have a really hard time enjoying my "main" meal because I'd just be eating these fabulous rolls! =)

57. You can't go wrong with feta :) These are awesome, would be great to snack on at a get together! looks impressive too!!

58. Rebekah Wyatt says:

Hi There! I am new to your site and I just love everything so far! I am sharing with all my co-workers your food genius. I am a feta girl myself and I stumbled across a wonderful Feta artichoke dip that truly seems to make everyone happy campers.
    I chop up a tomato and some green onions and toss them on top right before serving. Huge hit!

59. a happy little life says:

Great recipe! Will try it! Found you on Pinterest.
    Have a great day,
    Tracie

60. Pagg Supplement says:

It is very teasty and easy to make.

61. Danielle says:

These look lovely! I really want to make them, but I was wondering…what would you suggest substituting for the carbalose flour? Would coconut or almond flour work out okay? Thanks!

62. yummy and healthy……………

63. Wow, these look so fantastic! I want to go make them right now, although I don’t have all the ingredients. In that case I’ll have to wait but I’m really excited to try these. Thanks so much for the recipe. Have a nice day.