Marbled Peanut Butter Chocolate Loaf (Low Carb and Gluten Free)

Not all peanut flour is created equal, it would seem. My original source for peanut flour was Trader Joe’s, but the discontinued the product in January. It was gaining quite a bit of a cult following, so I know I am not the only one who was dismayed when I no longer saw it on the shelves. I cast around for another source and finally found some online, so I promptly put in my order for two pounds. Peanut flour is rapidly becoming one of my favourite low carb ingredients, along with almond flour and I figured I need to have a good amount of it around.

The minute it arrived, I could tell it wasn’t the same as the peanut flour from Trader Joe’s. Now, let me be clear that not being the same doesn’t mean it was bad, it was just…different. It was lighter in colour and less dense and powdery. I remember reading that the Trader Joe’s peanut flour was roasted and “defatted” to a certain percent. This peanut flour was a lot more like my almond flour, simply made from ground, unroasted peanuts. Since I’d ordered two whole pounds, I figured I needed to get cracking and bake with it, to see how it performed.

I decided to test it out in a recipe I’d had in my head for a while. It was inspired by a peanut butter sandwich bread I saw on Eat, Live, Run. When I first came across the recipe, I thought it was made with peanut flour and was very excited. But a closer look at the recipe showed that it was made with regular flour and that once again, I was on my own to find a way to make it low carb. And of course, in the interim, the recipe evolved in my head to contain chocolate. It’s very difficult for me to envision any sort of sweet peanut-buttery item without adding in chocolate. But the peanut butter still gets top billing in this recipe because between the flour and the actual peanut butter, that’s the defining feature.

The Results In the end, I am rather glad I had to go it alone and come up with my own recipe for peanut butter bread. Because this stuff is good. Really good. It really only lasted a few days, as everyone, including the baby, loved it. I myself only got about 3 slices! It’s dense and sweet and very peanutty, and makes a perfect breakfast or snack. It’s great with a cup of coffee!

The non-Trader Joe’s peanut flour performed admirably and I don’t regret buying two pounds of it. I do think, however, that if you have the roasted, defatted kind, it will behave somewhat differently and you may need to adjust for that in this recipe. It absorbs more liquid, so you may find you have to up the almond milk to get the proper batter. I would start by adding one or two extra tablespoons at a time until you have a batter that is similar to cake batter. Mine was almost pourable when I spread it into the prepared loaf pan. You could also try starting with less peanut flour, say 1 1/2 cups instead of two cups.

Marbled Peanut Butter Chocolate Loaf

2 cups peanut flour (unroasted, non-defatted)
1/4 cup vanilla whey protein powder
1/4 cup granulated erythritol
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
3 large eggs
1/2 cup almond milk, divided
1/3 cup cocoa powder

Preheat oven to 325F and grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan.

In a medium bowl, whisk together peanut flour, protein powder, erythritol, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and peanut butter together until smooth. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in stevia. Add half of peanut flour mixture and beat until combined. Add 1/4 cup almond milk and beat, then remaining peanut flour, beating until combined.

Remove half of batter to a separate bowl and set aside. Beat cocoa powder into remaining batter, then add remaining 1/4 cup almond milk and beat until combined.

Alternate scoops of light and dark batter into the pan. Swirl with a knife and then smooth the top. Bake 40 to 50 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean and the edges are beginning to brown.

Let cool in pan 10 minutes, then flip out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Serves 16. Each slice has a total of 10.4g of carbs and 3g of fiber, but only 7.4g if you subtract for erythritol. Net carbs equals 4.4g.

Comments

1. What a lovely loaf of bread..Just perfect for weekend breakfasts or with afternoon coffee..Great job!
    Have a wonderful Monday!!!

2. Claudie says:

Sorry to hear about the discontinuation of your favorite flour. I'm really surprised they did that. Anyway, apparently you don't need it to make a delicious loaf! :) I have yet to try peanut flour, but I'm really inspired now.

3. RavieNomNoms says:

That is really gorgeous, nice work on the marble. So pretty! I would adore a piece of this with my morning tea!! :-)

4. Magic of Spice says:

I did not realize Tader Joe's discontinued the peanut flour, I have a good stock but I will have to look around. This bread does look wonderful, glad it worked out :)

5. Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen} says:

Happy Monday to you – what a great way to start the week! This loaf is so pretty with all of those yummy swirls going on! Can you believe that I have never been to a Trader Joes? So sad! I'm going to have to find one soon.

I would think that roasted peanuts would add additional flavor to the flour, no? I wonder how they can defat the stuff. I'm glad that the new flour worked out for you though. The loaf is beautiful.

7. Megan @ Pip and Ebby says:

Peanut flour..interesting! It sounds delicious! And your bread looks fantastic.

8. What a great loaf of bread! Sounds absolutely delicious!

9. Kubełek Smakowy says:

cow-spotted, looks delicious!

I had no idea that there were different varieties of peanut flour either. This looks delicious! It doesn't look low carb at all!

11. Audra@The-Baker-Chick says:

This looks beautiful Caroline! I am amazed at what you do G-Free!

12. This looks great! I am so impressed at what you are capable of making G-Free!

13. Annie's Dish says:

This is the first time I have ever heard of peanut flour but it sounds pretty interesting. The loaf looks delicious!

14. Happy When Not Hungry says:

What a great loaf of bread! Love the marble too. Looks fantastic!

15. http://www.localharvest.org/peanut-flour-C14227

These folks say they are the ones that sold to Trader Joe's (which just branded it with their label). I've never ordered from anyone, but thought I would try this.

16. Nami @ Just One Cookbook says:

You've been cooking non-stop deliciousness. Having 3 kids you are doing such a great job making homemade sweets and delicious sweets. I have only 2 kids and am struggling a lot. =P What a lovely peanut butter bread!

17. Emily @ Life On Food says:

This looks amazing. I have never heard of such a thing.

18. Kate from Scratch says:

No way! This is absolutely incredible. Delicious, delectable chocolate and peanutbutter (best flavor combination ever)…gluten free and low carb?! Amazing. Gorgeous.

19. I too was very disappointed when TJ's discontinued their peanut flour. I spoke to an employee who said "Most people didn't know what to do with it." Heck, they should have come to me!

In looking for a new source, I found some online like what you mention – not defatted; I could tell they were not the same as the TJ's product simply by the nutritional information.

However, I had already been using PB2, which I realized had the same nutritional stats as TJ's peanut flour, so I decided that it must be the same thing. Indeed, it functions the same. They are now selling it in 1-lb bags, probably because they know people are using it for baking!

I just wish that there was a good source for store-bought peanut flour, as I'm hesitant to develop recipes using ingredients that are not accessible to most of my readers. But, I will definitely be giving this bread a shot, I have all the ingredients on hand!

20. All That's Left Are The Crumbs says:

That is one great looking loaf of bread. I don't understand why stores discontinue items that are popular, but I am glad that you have been able to find a suitable substitute.

21. Charlie @ SweetSaltySpicy says:

This bread looks incredible! I really need to try PB flour!

22. What is it about Trader Joe's discontinuing our favorite products??? Happens all the time to me.
    But this loaf looks fantastic…I really can't think of a better combo than PB and chocolate. I am always attracted to recipes with these ingredients. Yum!

23. blackbookkitchendiaries says:

this looks very interesting and sounds just yummy!
    sorry i for not being able to check in your site for awhile now. i have missed it.

24. Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes says:

Just lovely. I can't wait to give this a try. Thank you for sharing!

25. Juanita says:

The marbled effect is very cool!

26. The Harried Cook says:

I've never heard of peanut flour before, but I am sure I would love it! I love how pretty the marbling on your cake is! Thanks for sharing this recipe :)

27. scratch-made wife says:

This looks amazing – and not just because you've married two of my favorite ingredients. The loaf really looks great! I'm not surprised to hear it was delicious.

I've been reading a lot about peanut flour lately. Unfortunately, unique ingredients are pretty hard to come by where we live. I wonder if I can find this stuff at our local market. They carry a lot of specialty ingredients, so I can only hope.

The marbling in the bread makes me giddy. I would buy peanut flour just so I could make this. Yummy!

29. Angela@RecipesFromMyMom says:

I can almost imagine how great a slice would be toasted with just a little butter. We're waiting for our Trader Joe's to open in KC and I'm excited to finally get the chance to check it out.

30. Tiffany says:

This looks great! Would it be too decadent to slather it with Nutella? :D

31. briarrose says:

I love marbled breads…they are always so pretty. Chocolate and peanut butter always get a thumb up.

Have you considered toasting the new peanut flour?

32. Food Glorious Food! says:

Wonderful looking loaf! Need to bookmark it immediately! Thanks!

33. The Cafe Sucre Farine says:

Yum, this is making me want to take a break and have a cup of tea and a slice (or two!) of this lovely bread It not only looks beautiful but sounds delicious! Thanks for all the great tips!

34. Kate@Diethood says:

PB, cocoa, almond milk? That loaf has got to be crazy delicious! The marbled effect looks ammmazing!

35. Belinda @zomppa says:

Pour me some tea and I'll be one happy person.

36. I love the swirling effect, that's my favorite part! So pretty!! And now can I have a few slices :)

37. Roxie-Girl says:

Holy yum yum!!! I'm so trying this next week! Thanks!

Love your blog! I'll be back!

xoxo
    Roxie-Girl

38. Our Eyes Eat First says:

this is one of the most unique ways ive seen pb and choc used! great job!

39. Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels says:

I've never baked with peanut flour but have always wanted to try it out. This loaf is just gorgeous. I love the marbling! :)

40. Cake Duchess says:

I am now going to be on the lookout for peanut flour. I've never tried it before. This marble loaf looks delicious, Carolyn:)

this looks wonderful like the marble

42. I have everything except the peanut flour…tomorrow I think I'll try making this, but substituting almond for the peanut flour…I'll let you know if it tastes good that way!

43. megan @ whatmegansmaking says:

anything peanut butter and chocolate looks good in my book! :)

44. Success! Almond flour worked fine as a substitute for peanut flour…more subltle flavor of course. I didn't have Stevia drops so substituted 1/2 tsp. powdered stevia, and then added another 1/2 tsp. to the cocoa flavored half of the batter. This loaf is "just right" sweet, more like a muffin than a cake…I love it!

45. Roxana GreenGirl says:

The loaf looks great, love the marble effect.
    I'm just like you, if it's sweet and taste like peanut butter than it has to have chocolate, they are meant to be together :)

46. Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. says:

This looks amazing!

47. Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen says:

You are such an amazing cook, I love your ideas and really admire your low carb take. Peanut butter and chocolate are my favorites!

48. Correen says:

This marbled loaf with chocolate and peanut butter is almost too pretty to eat…gobble it up we will :) I really love how you introduce me to ingredients I have never tried in my baking…thank you!

49. Matthew "mmwine" Horbund says:

peanut butter and chocolate – awesome!

50. Can't believe I am just discovering your wonderful blog! This peanut butter loaf looks sooooo good. It's great to such a talented baker making low carb treats. Keep up the fabulous work! I added you to the side bar. :)

51. How much sweetness is the stevia equal too? I do not have liquid stevia. I do have some powdered. Or could I use Splenda?? If so how much. Thanks

52. Is there a non dairy sub for the cream cheese? Or what do you suggest trying? :) Thank you for the beautiful recipe!