Raspberry Amaretto Clafoutis (Low Carb and Gluten Free)

Yum

It would seem that I am now officially in the business of taking special requests on my blog. I love this fact. When I started this blog, I had no idea or expectation of where it would go. It is beyond thrilling that it would connect me to so many wonderful people. And to have readers who have faith enough in my baking abilities to make special requests? Well, let’s just say that the word “flattered” doesn’t even begin to describe it. I have had two special requests in the past few weeks. The first, from Diane, was for a low carb copy cat version of The Olive Garden’s Lemon Cake. Diane, I am working on this, I promise. It’s just a very large cake so I am saving it for a time when I have company to help us eat it!

The second request I received came through the All Day I Dream About Food Facebook page, from Kay. She wanted to see a really creamy low carb clafoutis recipe. Never one to back down from a challenge, I knew I had to take this on. It certainly didn’t hurt that I’d been thinking of making clafoutis for quite some time. Not only had I never made clafoutis before, I am fairly certain I’ve never even tasted it, but I always loved the look of it on other blogs. And it seemed like a simple enough dessert to make, somewhere between a custard and a cake. Since it doesn’t contain a lot of flour to begin with, it seemed perfect for a gluten free, low carb makeover.

Sadly, the first thing that had to go were the cherries. The typical clafoutis is a cherry clafoutis, and I adore sweet, ripe cherries. But they aren’t particularly diabetic or low carb friendly. Thank goodness that my beloved raspberry, which is relatively low in carbs and high in fiber, was willing to play the roll of the cherries in my version. I knew I would be replacing the wheat flour with almond flour, and I thought it would be nice to bring the almond flavour to the forefront, as almonds and raspberries go so well together. I sprinkled the top with sliced almonds and a little additional erythritol. And since clafoutis strikes me as a rather “grown up” dessert, I thought I would throw a little Amaretto in there to really play it up.

I consulted quite a number of clafoutis recipes online, and what struck me most is how much they all varied. Some contained quite a bit of flour and less eggs, making the dessert more cakey, and some were heavy on the eggs and light on the flour, making more of a custard. Kay requested a creamy clafoutis, so I opted to lean more towards a custard, heavy on the eggs and cream. But knowing that almond flour behaves very differently than wheat flour, I also opted to add a bit more of it to give the dessert some structure (i.e. so it didn’t sink too much in the middle after being baked!). All of this was really a shot in the dark, because I really had no idea how it would turn out.

The Results: Having never made or tasted clafoutis, I really have nothing to compare this to, and I have no idea whether it will live up to Kay’s expectations. What I can tell you is that it’s delicious, with a perfect balance of raspberry and almond flavours. It was definitely more custard than cake, very moist and dense and studded with fresh berries. It wasn’t exactly “creamy” in texture, the way a creme brulee or a pudding would be. It was thicker than that, but it also didn’t have the crumby texture of a cake. From all the descriptions I have read of clafoutis, it seemed about right to me! And the sliced almonds on top became almost crisp, adding a nice textural difference to the rest of the dessert.

Perhaps Kay will do me the honour of giving it a go and letting me know what she thinks! Or if she tinkers with it and makes some modifications, she can suggest them to me. But I do love this as is and can definitely recommend it as a delicious dessert and a fabulous use of fresh raspberries. It’s actually really great for breakfast too. I should know, I had it two mornings in a row.

Raspberry Almond Clafoutis

3/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp granulated erythritol
4 large eggs
1/2 cup whipping cream
2 tbsp Amaretto (optional)
1/2 tsp almond extract (increase to 1 tsp if omitting Amaretto)
1 cup fresh raspberries
1/4 cup sliced almonds

Preheat the oven to 325F and butter a ceramic or glass pie or tart pan.

Whisk almond flour and 1/4 cup granulated erythritol together in a small bowl, breaking up any clumps with the back of a fork.

In a large bowl, whisk eggs, cream, Amaretto, almond extract and stevia extract until thoroughly combined. Whisk in almond flour mixture until smooth.

If you have time, let mixture rest at least half an hour.

Arrange raspberries over the bottom of prepared pan and pour batter over. Sprinkle with sliced almonds and remaining 2 tablespoons of erythritol.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until set and top is light golden brown.

Serves 8. Each serving has a total of 15.4g of carbs and 3.4g of fiber, but only 6.4g of carbs if you subtract erythritol. Total NET carbs = 4g.

Comments

1. foodblogandthedog says

Oh wow, this sounds amazing, I love Amaretto. I was thinking of making a gluten-free version with figs but wasn't sure it would work, so glad you've tried it and it does, excited!!

2. Divya says

Carolyn – this looks yummy! I love how you described your thought process in coming up with this dish. That's what I love about recipe development – it's almost like a science experiment.

3. Jill Colonna says

Carolyn, this is certainly not surprising – you are a genius at transforming normal wicked desserts into your low carb-gluten free versions. This is another winner!

4. Foodness Gracious says

Great job and that last picture looks like it's 3D. I almost want to reach into my screen and take it!
    Thanks for sharing..

5. The Harried Cook says

You've done such a great job with this dessert, Carolyn! It looks really good… I bet it tastes really yummy! Love the pictures too :) Thanks for sharing!

6. Kari says

Both of the requests you received are dishes I'd love to make, so this makes me rather happy too. And it certainly looks like you've done this one justice!

7. Mike@ The Culinary Lens says

Looks like you made it work. Thank you for sharing your thought process. I think this is an example of needing fundamentals before getting creative.

8. sliceofmylyfe says

It is really sweetof you to take up people's requests and try to do them the best that you can.
    Excellently done. Love the way the dish looks.

9. Lauren at Keep It Sweet says

That clafoutis looks amazing, another wonderful looking low carb recipe! Such a gorgeous dessert, nicely done!

10. Free Spirit Eater says

Oh my goodness this looks like the perfect snack. Wow! My stomach is making noises it looks so good. Looks soft and moist, great photos. Thanks so much for sharing! =]

11. Cassie @ Bake Your Day says

This sounds wonderful and I love all of your adaptations. I would prefer raspberry over cherries and those almonds look great on top, great recipe!

12. Parsley Sage says

Ppfffth. Who needs cherries when you've got raspberries, almonds and booze!? This looks amazing and its even more incredible that its the first time you've made it. THAT'S why you get special requests :) Buzzed!

13. Charlie says

I love clafourti but never made it myself! Definitely love the lots of eggs versions!
    I only had cherry clafouti before but I definitely need to try it with raspberries. I have a thing for raspberries ;).

14. Terra says

I honestly have never heard of clafoutis, but wow does it sound lovely! You are pretty fantastic, I can totally understand people requesting recipes from you:-) Your gluten free recipes are so fun to learn from, thank you!
    Hugs, Terra

15. Heidi @ Food Doodles says

That looks great! I'm going to have to keep this in mind for my parents. We have a ton of raspberries right now and they're low-carb. Awesome!

16. Kelly @ Eat Yourself Skinny says

This looks absolutely delicious! Your pictures are gorgeous, saving this recipe for sure! :)

17. Lwbookeater says

This is one of the prettiest clafoutis I've seen in a while! And gluten free to boot! Thank you for sharing the recipe – think I'll be trying this one!

18. The Procrastobaker says

This really DOES look absolutely delicious, and its so lovely and talented of you to make things like this by request, i wouldnt know where to start! Gorgeous recipe and post too, i have never had a clafoutis but if i decide to give it a shot (as lets be fair, its bound to be yummy with that combo of ingredients!) then this is the recipe for me :)

19. tanja says

Oh my, that is an amazing looking clafoutis!!! I fell in love with my clafoutis version with nectarinese & raspberries, but I think this combination of raspberry and almonds could even top it!;) Haven't tried it yet but it MUST BE good! I'm noting this! Thank you so much for sharing!
    And,the photos are beautiful…

20. Jan says

I love amaretto, and with the raspberries, what a great idea! Must be a wonderful dessert. Can't wait to try :)

21. dwidlebug says

Stumbling upon your blog for the first time. Those raspberries just look wonderful, specially I like almond on the top.

22. The Cilantropist says

I think it is awesome that your GF readers are making requests! they know you are an expert and can make something great!! 😉 And this clafoutis is definitely greatness, raspberries and amaretto together for the win!

23. Lizzy says

Carolyn! You are such a gem…if I didn't already know this, this blog post would have convinced me. And this clafouti looks amazing…you are the Queen of GF!!!! xoxo

24. The Mom Chef says

Bravo on another huge success. I'd have preferred the raspberries over cherries even if low carb considerations weren't needed! I lover the addition of the amaretto as well. I also like my clafoutis creamy instead of cakey. In short, you made this perfectly. :)

25. Kim - Liv Life says

Nicely done, as always, Carolyn! I have to agree with Christiane, I'll take raspberries over cherries any day. I didn't know they were low-carb friendly! They are my all time favorite, and the guy at the farmers market now even saves a basket for me if I'm late.
    I've never actually had one of these guys either, but I'm thinking this will do just fine!!

26. Sandra says

Thank you Kay for request:)))) This looks amazing as always..very light yet looks so wonderful and full of flavor for sure! Thanks for sharing it sweetie, you always have something good to share with us!!!(and I buzzed):))

27. K says

OMG – Dear Carolyn you totally aced it!! First the raspberries and then the creamy custardy not too sweet total perfection! I had to use vintage Armagnac and raspberry ex. from Cake Castle as I did not have the other ingreds. Totally superb and served with a dollop of creme fraiche and a glass of champagne – life is worth living!!!! Thank You – You ROCK. Karen (Kay) Crete
    ps – maybe you will allow me another request in the future – it is a toughie!

28. EA-The Spicy RD says

Wow! Beautiful clafoutis! I've been thinking about making a gluten-free version for awhile now, and your recipe looks delicious! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog-so happy to have found yours! Love your photos!

29. Claudie says

First the muffins, now this clafoutis — I am seriously considering turning this coming weekend into a baking one! Your clafoutis looks soooo 100% perfect. Simply beautiful.

30. Roxana GreenGirl says

i love clofoutis, if it wasn't for the eggs, aye aye aye, what a feast it would be.
    I think you did a wonderful job for the first time, what a great idea to use raspberries instead.

31. anna says

this was SSSSOOOOOO delicious! I’m in love with all of your recipes! I have yet to try one out that I didn’t love and want to selfishly hoard for myself! thanks so much for always sharing your great recipes!

32. Jean B. says

I was thrilled to see YOUR recipe right at the top of the list when I did a search for a low-carb clafoutis! Way to go, Carolyn!

I have been thinking off and on about LC clafoutis for breakfast. (Just don’t tell anyone how evil I am!) Before I try this recipe, may I ask whether you were using Honeyville almond flour at this point, or were you using the almond flour that is more like an almond meal? I think the clafoutis would hang together well either way with those eggs, but I’d still like to know.

Thanks!!!! You are such a genius! You and the other Low-Carb Friends have actually gotten me back in the kitchen, where I am even doing my own experiments. Gasp!

• Carolyn says

Awesome, Jean! I think this was with Honeyville, because it doesn’t have the dark flecks of almond meal with skins. I think it would be best with Honeyville anyway!

• Jean B. says

Thank you, Carolyn. I was not sure when you started using the finer almond flour as vs. what is easily found in local stores. I do have my precious Honeyville almond flour. I see it is time to start using that. Thanks again!

33. Grace Thomas says

Recipe looks and sounds fantastic. I note that you use the liquid stevia extract. I am unable to use stevia, aspartame or sacaraine. Could agave or honey be used and if so, how much?

1. […] Day I Dream About Food has some marvelous baked goods. This morning I made Raspberry Amaretto Clafoutis (minus the amaretto, almond extract works well) which my husband immediately declared a keeper. And […]