Garam Masala Eggplant Chips with Cilantro Mint Raita

It’s no secret that I tend to become mildly obsessed with certain flavours and flavour combinations at any given moment. I daresay that this is an occupational hazard for food bloggers. We see something delicious on someone else’s blog, or in a cooking magazine or a cookbook. We test it out, perhaps with our own little twist. It’s delicious and we can’t stop thinking about it, our minds wandering to ever more elaborate creations containing this flavour. We want to put it in, on or under everything. And so we do, until the obsession passes. Or doesn’t pass, but sticks with us, in the backs of our minds, waiting for the next opportunity to assert itself. We may become mildly obsessed with something else for a little while, but we never quite forget our previous infatuation.

Such is the case for me right now with garam masala, that wonderful Indian spice blend. Garam masala isn’t one flavour really, but about a zillion little flavours coming together in one amazing combination. And there are about a zillion ways to make it, with everyone having their own specific recipe. For my part, I buy the commercial versions because I am not sure I can find some of the ingredients in my little corner of suburbia. Garam masala is not new to me, I’ve had it in many dishes before, some prepared by me and some prepared by other people. So why the sudden obsession?

Well, a few months ago I saw a recipe for garam masala cookies. Yes, cookies. Don’t believe me? Check it out for yourself! I was, and still am, very intrigued and it’s definitely something I’d like to try. Then I saw a recipe for authentic homemade garam masala which brought it to my attention again. So I suddenly had garam masala on the brain and I knew I needed to do something with it. Something snacky, to fill that void between lunch and dinner when I inevitably find myself hungry for something really flavourful.

I also wanted to try making eggplant chips. I had noticed several times that if I sliced eggplant really thinly, it got quite crispy when oven-baked. And I saw a great post about that very thing on What’s Gaby Cooking, so I knew I was onto something. When I saw some beautiful Japanese eggplant at our local farmer’s market, it all came together. Eggplant and Indian spices are a match made in heaven, and it didn’t take long for the idea spicing up my eggplant chips with garam masala to take hold.

The Results: I may have officially found a snack food to rival my love of nuts. Oh my, but these were delicious. Crispy and salty and bursting with flavour. I had a hard time photographing them because I kept eating my subject matter. I snacked on them for the better part of the afternoon and I am pretty sure that when you eat a whole eggplant, it can no longer be considered low carb. I need to save these for the next time we have company because I cannot be trusted around them. But I suppose it’s a far sight better than me eating a bag of potato chips.

The raita is a nice touch, especially if serving them to company, as the creamy yogurt offsets the chips. But it’s really just window dressing, I liked the chips as they were.

One word of warning…have a light hand with the salt shaker until you’ve tasted them. Some garam masala mixes have a good amount of salt in them so you may not need to add much more.

Garam Masala Eggplant Chips with Cilantro Mint Raita

Chips:

2 japanese eggplants

1 tbsp salt

3 tbsp olive oil

1 tbsp garam masala

additional salt to taste

Raita:

1/2 cup plain yogurt

2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro

2 tbsp chopped fresh mint

1 tsp ground cumin

salt and pepper to taste

Cut eggplant into 1/4 inch slices and lie in a single layer on a large parchment-lined baking sheet (you may need two baking sheets). Sprinkle with salt and let sit for an hour to remove some moisture. Blot dry with a paper towel.

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a small bowl, combine olive oil and garam masala. Brush both sides of each eggplant slice with the oil mixture and place back on baking sheets. Bake 20 to 30 minutes, or until slices are crisp and browned but not burnt. Remove from oven and sprinkle with additional salt to taste. Serve warm.

For the raita, whisk yogurt, cilantro, mint and cumin together in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve alongside eggplant chips.

Serves 8. Each serving (with raita) has 8g of carbs and 1.5g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 6.5 g.

Comments

1. That's Ron says:

wah, almost like chips.. great idea

2. Maris (In Good Taste) says:

You are definetly onto something! These look even better then cookies!

3. I cant wait to try these! I have been on a eggplant kick lately!
    Cheers,
    Dawnie

4. Cassie @ Bake Your Day says:

This sounds so wonderful, I would love to snack on it! We have some eggplants, I might give this a try tonight, the flavors sound amazing!

5. Emily @ Life on Food says:

Woah! I have never heard or seen anything like this. I am a big fan of eggplant and all things Indian food. I cannot wait to try these out. Looks delicious!

6. A Spoonful of Yumm says:

yumm ! have to try these :D raita is perfect for the chips !

7. Asian-spice mix says:

WoW,that sound great,i like eggplant and i'm a big fan of chips, look so yum :)

8. This looks amazing! And I don't even like eggplants!

These are a must try for me. Yummy! Looks and sounds so delicious. I'm the only eggplant eater in my household so more for me. Maybe because they are chips everyone else will be more likely to try them. On second thought, hopefully not.

10. Great idea! I've seen all kinds of veggies turned into chips, but have never seen nor thought about eggplants! With the spice, it must be just unique.

11. Beloved Green says:

What a great snack!

My garden is full of egg plant this year so I'm always looking for ways to use it. This looks fantastic. I'm also a fan of garam masala so yes, I'll definitely be giving the chips a go. The fact that they're baked is just a bonus. Thanks so much for sharing your find!

13. Lindselicious says:

This is the new Kale chip!! I am so excited to try this, it sounds amazing.

14. What a great idea! I love garam masala and I love eggplant! Can't wait to try this one!

15. Yum! I'm always looking for healthy alternatives to chips. This sounds delicious!

16. foodblogandthedog says:

These sound amazing! I roasted some aubergine the other day and left it in too long. It came out really crispy so I just ate it straight off the baking tray, so I know where you're coming from! The garam masala will be added next time for sure!

17. kitchenmisfit says:

These look really tasty! and such a different way to use eggplant!

18. Glitz, Glam, Mayhem says:

What a great idea, I love eggplant and these look soo good! I'll have to give it a try.
    – Jillian

19. My family is not a big fan of eggplant, but I have a feeling the seasoning and the crispiness would be a hit with everyone. I bet you could do this with zucchini as well?

20. Island Vittles says:

These look awesome…and your choice of cucumber raita as a dip is inspired! theresa

21. I love eggplant and this is a great way to try them yet another way. I have a feeling it may become an obsession.
    BTW – just discovered your blog and love it. Thanks for sharing all the recipes.

22. Becka (The Elegant Eggplant) says:

This is my kind of recipe!! Hence my blogs name, HA! These are gorgeous, and Erin, zucchini is a great idea, and very seasonal :)

23. steph chows says:

oo I just got some of these in my CSA this week. good timing! :)

24. Fresh and Foodie says:

These look wonderful! I love the idea of eggplant chips.

25. I will definitely be making this real soon, Carolyn. I love eggplant and these chips look addictive. I don't have garam masala – what spice would suffice instead? I can look for it at the grocery store tomorrow though.

I made potato skins today – also a type of chip. :)

26. Heather Jacobsen says:

What a great idea! I have all this eggplant from CSA and was starting to get tired of ratatouille, etc.

yummy combination delicious way to have eggplants looks wonderful

28. Sounds delish! … especially the raita! And, I think a garam masala cookie would be awesome! :D

29. Wow! this looks and sounds soooooo delicious! sooooooo yummy!!! I can't resist! I ended up with my last eggplant after a massive harvest this summer, but I'm dying to try this. Do you think it could work also with zucchini? or should I better go and buy a couple of eggplants?

30. These look fantastic! This recipe's a keeper fir sure!

31. A couple people asked about subbing zucchini for the eggplant. I say it's worth a try! My suspicion is that the zuch won't crisp up as much, but it will still taste great.

32. Anonymous says:

Hmmm, wonder what less carby veggie could work so one could eat MORE chips?!! (I'm serious.)

I definitely want to find this spice blend and then try this recipe!

Thank you!!!

33. Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table says:

Love this idea! I use garam masala on everything – its awesome on spaghetti squash with some coconut butter. These chips would make a great side for that, actually…

34. What a fun use of eggplant! I could totally snack all day on those "chips" and that luscious dip!!

35. Angie's Recipes says:

I love those chips! Look so crunchy.

36. Sanjeeta kk says:

Wonderful idea to enjoy the humble eggplants!

37. Were the chips really crispy? I just bought a whole big bag of eggplants so I think this recipe is my next stop. Putting garam masala on these will take them up to a new level!

38. I'm always on the look out for things to do with eggplant – I like it, but am not always good at cooking with it – so this is much appreciated. They look great.

39. wow, I have to try these! What a great way to serve eggplant.

40. kitchenarian says:

These look amazing. I love the flavor of garam masala. I can't wait to try these eggplant chips. Great recipe!

41. Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. says:

love this idea. I love all of these ingredients

42. Parsley Sage says:

So, how sad is this. I only tasted eggplant for the first time three weeks ago. I've had it 12 times since then. I thought you couldn't get it in Cayman but I found a farmer that grows it year round and will actually deliver it to me at the radio stations on Fridays! I've been LOADING up. And I'm totally bookmarking this for my next batch. Looks wonderful!

43. Carolina @ Peas in a Blog says:

These look divine. Love the combination!

44. foodwanderings says:

Garam masala is a good obsession to have.:)Eggplant lookin' good!

45. These chips look amazing, and it's always great to find new was to prepare eggplant. I have a very large jar of garam masala I've been dying to use more of :)

46. Kate@Diethood says:

I need to hang out with those eggplant chips… alone.

47. The Cilantropist says:

Wow these sound incredible, and with the garam masala I can see why they would be addictive – that flavor is soooo good. :D Great idea, thanks for sharing this!

48. I love anything with eggplant and these remind me of the dehydrated eggplant chips I made a few months ago. Sounds wonderful with the garam masala!

49. Carolyn – I think you have outdone yourself once again – what a winning combination, baked eggplant chips with one of my favorite spices, served up with a creamy yogurt dip! Wish I could have a taste now!

50. ravienomnoms says:

This is so creative Carolyn! I am so impressed. I have never had eggplant chips to begin with and then how you dressed them up…nice work :-)

51. Rebecca from Chow and Chatter says:

oh wow love this super tasty snack I have been roasting chick peas lately but will bookmark this one

52. Carol Peterman/TableFare says:

I love garam masala and use it all the time, especially in cookies. Worldspice.com sells a wonderful Kashmeri Garam Masala with deeply toasted spices that is especially nice in sweet applications. I can see getting very hooked on these eggplant chips. They'll go well with my kale chip obsession!

53. megan @ whatmegansmaking says:

eggplant chips?? How have I never heard of these things before? Amazing :)

54. marla {family fresh cooking} says:

Eggplant chips with dip?? Count me in. Sounds like a great snack!

55. WOW! These look incredible, Carolyn! Eggplant won't fly with most of the family, but I may have to make my own personal batch :)

56. Just bought eggplant at Central Market tonight. Thanks for your creative post!

57. I love these. I swear me and you are long lost sisters or something. We have similar taste buds. I may try these out.

58. Let's Eat Some Good Food says:

Like Like Like! This is a good snack!

59. This is such a awesome idea..I loved the picture that you shared before and now the recipe is just fantastic, fast and delicious!

60. Nami | Just One Cookbook says:

Oh my goodness, I totally can imagine this taste and texture! I often make eggplant chips *by accident* because I forgot to flip when I pan fry…. now with garam masala, it's perfect!

61. resistantnikki says:

Yum! The eggplants in my garden are nearing harvest time and I have quite the list of eggplant recipes I can't wait to make…this one is definitely getting added to that list!

62. Priscilla - She's Cookin' says:

Definitely trying these eggplant chips and flavoring them with garam masala is brilliant!

63. Eating Deliciously says:

Thanks for sharing this delicious and different recipe.

64. Baker Street says:

I love eggplant chips. Its an all time favorite and a regular in my house.

65. Just made these! 1 batch got a little too crispy (er, blackened, and set the fire alarm off twice). The other batch a little soft (so I wouldn't set it off again) but so so delicious! A bit too salty, and my GM doesn't have salt in it, but still so tasty.

66. Awesome….exactly like my mom makes them.

67. So, my garden has regular eggplant, do you think I could slice it then quarter the slices so I have the right sized "chips"? Going to have to try, this looks rit up my alley!!

68. Susanne DeJernett says:

I must be blind. I really would like to share this recipe to my recipe box but I am not seeing the tab to do so. Help

1. [...] eggplants are part of your vegetable gardening efforts, then preparing these seasoned eggplant chips should make using your produce a snap. Serve with a cool dip for a snack or casual party appetizer [...]

2. [...] made Eggplant Chips last year and several readers asked if they could substitute zucchini.  I didn’t think [...]

3. [...] Garam Masala Eggplant Chips with Cilantro Mint Raita from All Day I Dream About Food [...]