Low carb grain free chocolate donuts with a sweet Irish Cream glaze. Perfect for any St. Patrick’s Day celebrations! Plus a great recipe for sugar-free Irish Cream.
Top o’ the mornin’ to ya, St. Paddy’s Day is a-comin’. Yep, that’s my version of a very bad Irish brogue. My apologies to the Irish people, I know you don’t really speak that way. Just as I know you don’t eat corned beef and cabbage and drink green beer on March 17th. But we here in North America sure like to pretend you do. Just as we all like to pretend for that one day that we are all Irish. Sure, many of us, myself included, have plenty of Irish heritage in our backgrounds. But let’s face it, we are really just using the day as an excuse to kick up our heels and drink beer, green or not. And I have a true love of corned beef and cabbage, it’s one of my favourite meals. This year, I am attempting to corn my own beef, per a recipe out of Cook’s Illustrated. If it works, I will share it, but not quite in time for St. Paddy’s.
But I did decide to jump on the holiday blogging train and come up with a recipe I could share ahead of the day (just barely, since it’s tomorrow!). I’m not always good in this regard, but I woke up one morning early this week with the notion to bake up some donuts. And it occurred to me that the bottle of Bailey’s that has been languishing in the back of my refrigerator would make a great glaze to a chocolate donut. I don’t actually like Irish Cream that much myself, but I thought that paired with chocolate, it would taste mighty fine. And would you know? I was right!
Now, if you are concerned with the carb content of Bailey’s Irish Cream, you have some options here. First know that Bailey’s contains about 11 g of carbs per serving and a serving is 3 tablespoons (a standard jigger in cocktail making). This recipe only uses 3 tablespoons of Irish Cream so it only adds about 1 g of carbs per donut.
That said, I know many readers like to avoid sugar in all forms, so you can also make your own sugar-free Bailey’s and it’s not very hard to do at all. I created a recipe for Sheknows.com and it’s a great option for a low carb Irish Cream. You can use it in this recipe or just drink it straight if you like. And it comes in at a whooping 1 g of carbs per 2 tablespoons. So it adds practically nothing to the overall carb count of these donuts. Check out my Sugar-Free Irish Cream recipe here.
Chocolate Donuts with Irish Cream Glaze – Low Carb and Gluten-Free
Low carb grain free chocolate donuts with a sweet Irish Cream glaze. Perfect for any St. Patrick's Day celebrations! Plus a great recipe for sugar-free Irish Cream.
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup granulated Swerve Sweetener
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 tsp vanilla stevia liquid extract
- OR 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1/4 tsp liquid stevia extract
- 1/2 cup almond milk
Irish Cream Glaze
- Preheat oven to 325F and grease a donut tin.
- In a large bowl whisk together almond flour, cocoa powder, sweetener, baking powder, baking soda, salt and xanthan gum. Stir in eggs, butter, vanilla and stevia (or vanilla stevia liquid) until thoroughly combined. Add almond milk and stir until smooth.
- Fill holes of donut tin 2/3 full (you will have to do 2 to 3 batches if you only have one donut pan). Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until set and donuts spring back when touched. Let cool in pan 5 minutes and then flip out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Whisk together powdered sweetener and Irish Cream in a small bowl until smooth (mixture will be very thick). Stir in almond milk, 1 tbsp at a time, until a smooth, drizzly consistency is achieved. Spread evenly over cooled donuts.
Serves 12. Each serving has 3.25g NET CARBS.
Food energy: 174kcal Total fat: 14.75g Calories from fat: 132 Cholesterol: 56mg Carbohydrate: 7.08g Total dietary fiber: 3.83g Protein: 6.60g