Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake (Low Carb and Gluten-Free)

Pin ItI would count my 39th birthday as one of my all-time favourite birthdays. For one thing, I can still say I am in my thirties without lying through my teeth…yet. For another, I had a visit from my father over my birthday weekend, and spending time with family these days to me always counts as time to be treasured. And the birthday festivities themselves were some of the most fun, happy moments I’ve had of late. Much needed for this tired old mother of three. If you didn’t see me post about it on Twitter or Facebook, my husband sweetly surprised me a few weeks early with a night away from the kids. We didn’t go far afield, we actually just stayed the night in downtown Boston, but every second was amazing. Having the time away from the little ones to reconnect and actually talk to each other? Priceless!

On my actual birthday, we decided to take a little walk down memory lane, and we brought some of our closest friends along. We revisited our old neighbourhood in Boston and went to a beloved Italian restaurant tucked into a courtyard in the heart of Roslindale Square. I haven’t laughed so much nor dined so well in a long time. Should you ever chance to be in the area, I cannot recommend Sophia’s Grotto enough. And my own choice for dinner was without a doubt the hit of the night…mussels in a spicy chorizo tomato sauce. Everyone at the table kept dipping their spoons in and stealing my sauce. It was heaven.

And for the day after my birthday, to allow the kids to celebrate with us, I made this cake. I had envisioned this cake quite a while before and was tempted to make it earlier but I managed to hang on long enough to have it be my birthday present to myself. As you know, peanut butter and chocolate together is well loved by me. It rivals almost any other flavor combination as number one in my heart. I’ve done quite a bit with that particular combo on this blog, but it’s actually been quite a while. I think my last recipe was my Peanut Butter Caramel Shortbread Bars, and that was four months ago. So I have clearly been remiss in that regard and I knew this cake would rectify the situation.

The Results: Yes and rectify the lack of new peanut butter and chocolate recipes it did. I can honestly say that this cake met and exceeded my expectations. The batter was quite thick and didn’t seem to be rising for a while in the oven, so I was a tad worried. But it baked up beautifully in the end and it released nicely from the pan as well, always a dicey prospect with gluten free bundt cakes. Now, one error I did make was not flipping it out directly onto the serving platter. It was a tiny bit fragile, so moving it from the wire cooling rack to the serving plate meant I ended up with a couple of cracks. But that was easily masked by the chocolate glaze and it didn’t seem to cause any issues when serving. I will say this. Keep a big glass of water or milk nearby when eating. It’s rich, for one thing and as with many peanut butter based goodies, it is dense and thick. But it’s wonderful, no question.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake
Cake:
3 cups almond flour
1/3 cup vanilla whey protein powder
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp xanthan gum
½ tsp salt
6 tbsp butter
¾ cup smooth peanut butter
½ cup granulated erythritol
3 large eggs
½ cup almond milk
1 3.5 ounce (100g) high% cacao chocolate bar, chopped fine
Glaze:
2 tbsp butter
½ cup peanut butter
1 ½ oz unsweetened chocolate
1 tbsp powdered erythritol
1 tbsp cocoa powder
For the cake, preheat oven to 350F and grease a large bundt pan very well (make sure to work butter or oil into all creases of pan)
In a medium bowl, whisk together almond flour, protein powder, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt.
In a large bowl, beat butter and peanut butter until smooth.  Beat in erythritol until well combined.  Beat in eggs, one at a time, scraping down sides of bowl and beaters as needed, then beat in stevia extract until thoroughly combined.
Add almond flour mixture in two batches, alternating with almond milk. Stir in chopped chocolate and mix to distribute evenly.  Spread mixture in prepared pan and bake 45 to 50 minutes or until top is golden brown and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.   Let cool in pan 5 minutes and then flip out onto serving platter to cool completely.
For the glaze, melt butter, peanut butter, unsweetened chocolate, erythritol and cocoa powder together in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth.  Drizzle glaze over top of cake, letting run down sides and into center.   Let set one hour.
Serves 12.  Each serving has a total of 15.8 g of carbs and 6.8 grams of fiber.  Total NET CARBS = 9 g.

Comments

1. says

Happy birthday (belated) Carolyn! I'm glad you had such a great day and set of celebrations. This cake certainly looks like it would help make any birthday good – delicious!

2. says

Oh, my, this looks so wonderful and delicious! I bow to you, my friend, for a perfect release from your Bundt pan! And belated happy birthday you youngster :)

3. says

Sounds like a perfect birthday and looks like a perfect cake! I see chocolate-peanut butter and my eyes bug out of my head a little. Such a good combination!

4. says

I do remember your excitement when you shared on Facebook your hubs is going to steal you for the night. Glad to hear you had such a wonderful time.
    Peanut butter and chocolate in indeed the way to go on special occasions. I'd have a hard time saying no to a slice

5. says

happy belated birthday from me too. What an incredibly wonderful present. I'd take an evening away from Dudette to just spend reconnecting with my husband too. And we both love, love, love Boston. Your recommendation of Sophia's Grotto is duly noted (with that name, how can it not be perfect). :)

As per usual, your cake is phenomenal. You are beyond skilled and way into gifted.

6. Laura says

What a wonderful birthday!! If I were a better cook, I would try this recipe with the ton of peanut butter flour I just purchased. The combo of peanut butter and chocolate is a classic I love!

7. KeepItSweet says

Happy belated birthday, Carolyn!!! What a dessert to celebrate with…. right up my alley! Sounds like you really did have a few wonderful celebrations. So glad you enjoyed it.

8. Lra @cakeduchess says

It sounds like you had a wonderful birthday. Happy Birthday, sweet friend. Gorgeous bundt cake and I wild love a taste for a snack right now;)

9. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen says

Happy Birthday Carolyn! Chocolate and peanut butter sounds like a perfect way to celebrate!

10. says

Sounds like you had a wonderful birthday! Happy belated Birthday! This cake look to-die-for! I'm might ask my husband if he'll make it for me for my birthday, yep, I KNOW I will!

11. says

Happy belated birthday, Carolyn! This cake is just amazing – should be on the cover of Glamour magazine – that's how gorgeous it is. Plus, peanut butter? Sign me up!

12. Choc Chip Uru says

Happy Happy Belated Birthday :D
    You celebrated with awesome style – this cake is divine :D

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

13. theharriedcook says

Your birthday sounds lovely, Carolyn! So glad you had a wonderful time :) God bless! And the cake looks super yummy!

14. Jan says

Beautiful cake and great photos. Will definitely be looking for a special occasion as an excuse to make it. I love your cake pedestal; is that modern or vintage?

15. Melanie E. says

Carolyn, do you know how many cups your bundt pan holds? I learned the hard way that not all bundt pans hold the same amount (haha). I have a heart-shaped one that I’d like to use, but it doesn’t hold quite as much as my regular one. Thanks!

16. Surabaya Lisa says

How do I love thee? Thank you for this gorgeous recipe. I just made this cake into 17 regular-sized cupcakes. They were moist, flavourful (even without the glaze) pieces of heaven. I adapted the recipe a bit so make it more sturdier (so I can eat it like a muffin). I used almond meal instead of flour, 1/2 cup peanut butter flavoured protein powder and I didn’t have liquid stevia (It can’t be shipped to Indonesia because it is liquid.) so I used 1/2 tsp pure white stevia powder. I also used Lindt 85% chocolate for the chopped chocolate in the cake. I also let the glaze thicken a bit in the fridge, and spread it on top of the cupcakes. Yummy! Thank you again, Carolyn!