Caramelized Brussels Sprouts with Browned Butter

Yum

The most delicious Brussels sprouts recipe ever! Quick and easy, it will have you coming back for more.

low Carb Caramelized Brussels Sprouts Recipe

Brussels sprouts recipes are a dime a dozen and everyone claims to have the recipe that turn even the most devout Brussels-hater into a Brussels lover. I am about to make that same claim. I’ve been making this recipe all winter long, practically every chance I get, it’s that delicious. Although I’ve always liked Brussels sprouts in many forms, I truly think this is the best way to cook and eat them. And I have turned my die-hard hater of a husband into a lover with this one. He says (and I quote) “I love the way the butter gets all between the leaves of the sprouts”. See that word there? Love. He loves them.

Low Carb Brussels Sprouts with Brown Butter

Everyone also claims that the best way to prepare Brussels sprouts is roasting them. Roasting is tasty, no question. But it requires more time to coax the best flavour out of the sprouts, whereas a hot pan can achieve the same delicious results in a matter of a few short minutes. Quite honestly, I developed this recipe out of pure laziness. I was going to try the Brussels Sprouts Chips that my friend Vijay of NoshOn.It did for a guest post here on All Day I Dream About Food. But I’d rather pushed the envelope on getting dinner on the table and I already had another dish in the oven. So I heated up a pan with a little coconut oil, cut the sprouts in half and lay them face down until they browned and caramelized. Then I stirred them around a bit, covered them for another minute to tenderize and they were done. I tossed butter in the pan until it was brown and fragrant, poured it over the sprouts and took a bite. I was quite literally in Brussels Sprouts heaven.

Low Carb Caramelized Brussels Sprouts with Browned Butter

I really have been eating this all fall and winter, ever since I first came up with it. I sometimes make a batch for lunch and it’s all I eat. I told my husband the other day that I was addicted to Brussels sprouts. He laughed and said he thought I was really addicted to browned butter. Smart man.

For this addictive Caramelized Brussels Sprouts with Browned Butter recipe, please check A Sweet Life Diabetes Magazine.

Comments

1. says

I’ve seen a few brussel sprouts recipes with browned butter. Normally I just roast and go but I think it’s time I switch things up a little.

2. Susan says

This is very similar to how I routinely make Brussels sprouts. I usually toast some walnuts with garlic first to toss with the sprouts after they’ve caramelized. I just wish they were easier to grow – the bugs always infest them.

3. says

Admittedly, I finally took the B-Sprout plunge last year. While they didn’t take me to the moon with happiness, they DID remove my childhood scar of eating them cold and mushy.
    Perhaps a browned butter drizzle will be just what I need to enjoy them :)

4. Linda says

My dd and I had these for lunch yesterday. So delicious! My dd suggested adding paprika for a little zip and I thought sauteing some onions before adding the brussel sprouts would be tasty but that would add to the time needed to cook and the shorter cooking time in your recipe is a huge plus. Thanks for sharing.

5. says

Where are you sourcing your brussels sprouts? The first time I ever made them I used frozen. Ginormous mistake. The next time it was in my produce box. Even my picky eaters loved them. But, they haven’t been in the box again these last couple winters. I’m hesitant to buy them because I don’t want to repeat that first mistake. Blech.

• Carolyn says

Trader Joe’s actually. But I’ve seen them in many grocery stores right now too. Whole Foods has them, sometimes on the stalk.

6. Denise Lachance says

What a winner! I couldn’t believe it – my husband ate all of his sprouts before touching his pork chop!

7. Delora says

Don’t forget to toss in some garlic and sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on top! When I take these to pot luck dinners I can be sure there are no leftovers.