Tender low carb donuts with sugar-free browned butter glaze. These just may be the ultimate low carb breakfast treat!
Browned butter. Just the very words are enough to send shivers of delight down my spine. I love butter as it is, but there is something about heating it to the point where it becomes nutty and fragrant that is pure heaven. Typically I’ve used browned butter in savoury dishes, as sauce for fish or vegetables. Combined with some lemon and capers, or some crispy sage leaves, and that browned butter sauce will have you running your fingers across your plate, trying to get every last drop into your mouth. I’ve only tried browned butter once in a sweet recipe, and although the cookies were good, the flavour of the butter didn’t really come through. I suppose I just didn’t use it in a high enough concentration. Lesson learned…when it comes to br0wned butter, there is never too much of a good thing.
I recently saw donuts with a browned butter glaze on Foodgawker, and although I didn’t even glance at the recipe, knowing it would be carb and sugar-laden, the idea struck a chord. I knew I had to come up with my own version and see if it would be as good as I imagined. I let the idea take shape in my mind, knowing that the donut itself had to have some flavour to stand up to the intensity of the glaze. Cinnamon seemed like the very thing to complement the glaze and have enough flavour on its own.
Now, this is going to be one of those recipes where you should do as I say, not as I do. These donuts were amazing, and the glaze tasted like caramel. The execution, however, left a little something to be desired. As I often do, I was trying to save time and water by combining my glaze ingredients into the same pot where I’d browned the butter. But the heat of the pot had the effect of cooking the glaze further and it began to thicken and clump. I realized mid-stream that I should have had my Swerve ready to go in another bowl, and whisked my browned butter into it, instead of the other way around. I quickly transferred everything to a new bowl, whisked in more Swerve and then my vanilla and cream. I couldn’t quite beat out some of the clumps, but the glaze was still delicious and actually spread quite nicely on the cooled donuts.
Tender low carb cinnamon donuts with a sugar-free browned butter glaze. These just may be the ultimate low carb breakfast treat!
- 3 tbsp butter
- 7 tbsp powdered Swerve Sweetener
- 1 to 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- For the donuts, lightly grease a donut pan and preheat oven to 325F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, erythritol, protein powder, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in melted butter, eggs, almond milk, stevia and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Fill donut pan holes approximately 2/3 full and bake 15 to 18 minutes, or until donuts are lightly browned and set.
- Let cool in pan 5 minutes, then flip out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Repeat with any remaining batter.
- For the glaze, melt butter in small skillet over medium heat. Cook until butter is browned and fragrant, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place powdered erythritol in a medium bowl. Slowly whisk in browned butter until well combined. Mixture will be thick.
- Stir in 1 tbsp of cream at a time until a spreadable consistency is achieved.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Spread glaze on cooled donuts and let set, about 20 minutes.
*How many donuts you get will depend on the size of your donut pan. Some are a little bigger than others. Mine is on the smaller side, although not a mini-donut pan.