Frozen Raspberry Mousse Tart with Chocolate Crust (Low Carb and Gluten Free)

You know you have good friends when they feel comfortable enough to invite themselves over. And I mean that sincerely. I think it’s a wonderful thing, as long as you don’t feel any obligation to say yes if you really don’t want company. We weren’t planning to have any one over this weekend, but when friends suggested that they bring their infant son over on Saturday and we order pizza, it felt right. And since they too have children, they know the importance of getting together early and going home early enough to get the kids into bed. I was so glad that they suggested it, as it broke up what could otherwise be a rather monotonous day. It also gave me the chance to put together a dessert I’d been thinking of, one that might have been a little much for just the family alone.

You might have noticed that I bake pretty darn frequently. Perhaps more frequently than even my blog suggests, since I am also working on a few other projects and I don’t post everything I make. Which means that there is always one (or three) baked goods on the go around here. To lessen the impact on my family’s waistline, I make things in half-batches. I make 6 muffins instead of 12, but I write up the recipe for the full dozen. I make bars in a loaf pan and then double the recipe for an 8x8square pan. Because make no mistake…I may post things that are low carb and gluten free, but they are far from low fat or low calorie! Decadence might just be my middle name.

But some things need to be made full size. I suppose this tart could have been tartlets, but that might have change the proportions of the crust and the mousse somewhat. Besides, the vision in my head was full size and I really thought it would be lovely that way. So a visit from our friends was a perfect excuse to put together the full dessert so that we could have some help making our way through it. I would even have sent them home with some but frozen mousse plus a 30 minute car ride back to Brookline might have meant lurid pink raspberry goo all over their car. I want to keep them as friends, mind you, so that they feel comfortable enough to invite themselves over another day.

The Results: I totally loved this, and it got thumbs up from our friends as well. It was fresh and creamy and tasted like summer. I didn’t go with fresh raspberries for the mousse itself, I don’t like to pay the exorbitant prices at this time of year, but the frozen ones worked just as well. I didn’t go wild with sweetener either, as I wanted the natural sweetness of the raspberries to come through, and I think that they did. And I thought that the chocolate crumb crust was a nice compliment to the tart berries. My middle child adored this, although that may in part be due to the lurid pink (her favourite colour) of the filling. My son was so-so on it but my littlest one gobbled it up and she’s the hardest to please.

I would make this again in a heartbeat. It’s quite easy, looks lovely and tastes like raspberry ice cream. In fact, I would happily make it without the crust too, as an “easy” alternative to ice cream, no custard or churning needed.

Frozen Raspberry Mousse Tart with Chocolate Crust
Crust:
1 1/2 cups almond flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup erythritol
1/4 cup butter, melted

Raspberry Mousse:
2 cups raspberries, fresh or frozen (frozen should be thawed ahead of time)
1/4 cup powdered erythritol
1 tbsp chambord liqueur (optional, adds flavour)
1 1/4 cup whipping cream
1/8 tsp stevia extract
1/2 cup sour cream

For the crust, preheat the oven to 350F.

In a medium bowl, whisk together almond flour, cocoa powder and erythritol. Stir in melted butter until it begins to clump together. Using your fingers, press firmly and evenly into a 9-inch tart pan or pie pan.

Bake crust for 10 minutes. Let cool.

For the mousse, puree raspberries, powdered erythritol and chambord together in a food processor.

Beat whipping cream and stevia with an electric mixture until stiff peaks form. Stir in sour cream until just combined. Fold in raspberry puree gently but thoroughly. Spread raspberry mixture into cooled crust and freeze until set, at least 2 hours.

One to two hours prior to serving, put tart in refrigerator to thaw slightly.

Serves 12. Each serving has 16.6g total carbs, and 2.5g of fiber, but only 8.6g if you subtract erythritol. Total net carbs equals 6.1g.

Comments

1. Jeanine - The Baking Beauties says

oh, Carolyn, that is absolutely beautiful! The raspberry tart looks phenomenal, and makes me wish that was in my fridge at this moment. Well done!

2. safire says

The tart is beautiful! It's just me and my boyfriend so I don't bake that much because I don't want the treats around. I look forward to potlucks and get togethers like yours on saturday to bake.

3. Annie's Dish says

I don't much go for berry desserts but this looks like something I could get into! So cool and creamy!

4. Parsley Sage says

What a gorgeous tart! Keep that middle name…helps you make some glorious desserts :) You just can't go wrong with raspberries either…

Glad you got to spend your free day with some friends. I love it when people 'drop by.'

5. Sandra says

This is such a beautiful and refreshing tart. I love the nice colors and your photos are just picture perfect! Wonderful and for sure worth of buzz!^_^

6. Rachel @ Baked by Rachel says

Yum!! I cheat a lot with frozen fruits and veggies too – it's just cheaper and easier depending on the time of the year. And so nice of them to understand about the kids and getting together earlier. You're lucky to have that – no one in our group or friends or family seems to get that.

7. In and Around Town says

That looks so amazing! Its beautiful AND tastes good – definitely will have to make that sometime

8. Jill@MadAboutMacarons says

Carolyn, this is defnitely a triple quantity one needed in our house. Looks fabulous. Love how even your smallest gobbled it up in a flash. No wonder!

9. Charlie @ SweetSaltySpicy says

This looks so good! I'm loving summery desserts these days ;).

I usually give a big part of my baked goods to my friends. Unless I begin to eat only baked goods for all my meals, I'd never be able to go through everything I make! I love the making and sharing part of baking more than the eating part ;). But still love eating it :P.

10. Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen} says

So true about good friends!

Loved this Carolyn! It looks yummy and pretty and so full of flavor!

11. Fresh and Foodie says

This is beautiful, Carolyn! The colors are just fantastic. I love the addition of Chambord in the mousse. Lovely.

12. RavieNomNoms says

That looks simply splendid! What a great color for the coming of spring right now…it looks awesome!

13. Karen says

What a gorgeous tart…the color is amazing!
    I have been wondering how the bakers of the blog world eat all this good stuff they make…makes much more sense now that you make half batches!

14. She's Cookin' says

You are definitely a baking phenom! We already have an issue with our waistlines over here and most of the time its just the two of us, so making desserts is a special occasion thing. But I do love drooling over all your creations and am inspired by your experimentation with gluten free flours and sugar alternatives for diabetics. Hope you have a fun week, Carolyn!

15. Susi's Kochen und Backen says

Chocolate and raspberries is one of my favorite combinations and this mousse tart looks lovely. The color is striking and I can imagine how wonderful this must have tasted. This is a definite must save for berry season!

16. Joy, The Herbed Kitchen says

This is gorgeous! Perfect for summer barbecues if it ever warms up. I love impromptu visits with friends, it doesn't happen often as we are all so busy but it is such a treat when we do get together. Sound advice about the half batches, I've been making an effort to do that so we can fit through the doorway!

17. briarrose says

This definitely deserved to be made full size. :)

Beautiful color…no one could resist a slice of that chocolate/raspberry glory.

18. Michele says

I am totally going to make this! I hope it turns out as good using vegan dairy alternatives! they usually do. thanks for the recipe!

19. Foodiva says

This is probably the prettiest tart I've seen this season. Love the baby pink contrast against the chocolate crust. Lovely recipe, as always and I'd make this full size too, with or without guests!

20. scratch-made wife says

You're making my mouth water! I absolutely love icebox pies. Paired with the serious spring fever I'm having right now, I think you've inspired me to whip one up this weekend!

21. The Mom Chef says

How fun is that! I know a couple of four year-old girlie girls that would think that's the bomb. I think so too. I love raspberries!

22. Elisabeth says

Oh, My! I'm in "pink heaven." Such a refreshing and beautiful light spring dessert. Will be so perfect for Easter!
    xoxo

23. spcookiequeen says

So you won't mind if I show up in my slippers and p.j.s for dessert. I agree they are still overpriced here too. This does sound divine. Hope you are having a great week. I three pans of goodies on my counter from the weekend.
    -Gina

24. Amy Bakes Everything says

Wonderful! This will be great this summer – I think the first picture should be the cover of your Low Carb – Gluten Free cookbook! Great job, as usual!

25. A little bit of everything says

i bake quite a lot too, although trying hard to cut the sweets.
    your tart sounds so refreshing. I love raspberries and always have some in the freezer just in case craving strikes.
    thanks for sharing Carolyn.

26. Angela@RecipesFromMyMom says

Lovely and refreshing. It would be fun to make tartlets or maybe even in mini muffin cups so you can just pop 'em in your mouth.

27. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen says

Now that's a showstopping pink. The tart is really quite beautiful, and the combination of chocolate and raspberry is such a good one.

28. Jennifer says

I agree – very, very pretty, Carolyn! Well done! What is Chambord liqueur. I've never had that before.

29. Nami @ Just One Cookbook says

This is SOOOOO CUTE Carolyn! My kids love raspberry, and chocolate crusts…what a perfect tart! LOVE the pictures you took, too! I'm envious of your friends who tried this! Yum!

30. Kim - Liv Life says

I saw this photo on one of the photo sites and it immediately caught my eye. Raspberry is my favorite berry, and when in season I use it frequently. This will be in our fridge this summer I can be sure!!

31. A Spoonful of YUMM ! says

hey ! i'm at india..so it very hot here :-/ love the color of this rasberry mousse tart….so inviting :)

32. MikeVFMK says

Part batches is a great idea. Although in this case I would have made two. The raspberry and chocolate are perfect flavours together. Wish I had a slice!

33. sara @ CaffeIna says

Oh my, if this cake doesn't say "summer" I don't know what else would do. I love that thick layer of raspberry mousse!

34. Megan says

raspberry is my favorite fruit and chocolate is a perfect pairing. Love this recipe. Now I really must get some erythritol.

35. Madame W says

A food processor will make powdered erythritol out of the regular stuff, if you can't find the powdered.
    This was good made with hazelnut flour in place of the almond flour for the crust. I also added a bit more sweetener and 2 T. total of the Chambord.
    Even my 25-yr old, who really dislikes what he calls "fake" foods, scarfed this down.

36. Kenny says

I made this last night, it was the first thing I have made from the “Low-Carbing” Among Friends” cookbook and I looked it up this morning so didn’t put on the raspberry garnish :) I haven’t baked anything in a long time so I made a pretty big mess but it came out tasting great anyway. My daughter was using her finger to get every crumb up off of the plate!

37. Catherine H. says

I made this last Sunday for my son’s First Communion celebration (he chose it himself). Everyone in the family loved it. I was particularly impressed by the chocolate crust, which was tasty and cookie-like, and more chocolatey than I expected from just looking at it. So easy to put together, too!