Big News…Big…HUGE!

Yum

Do you remember that line from Pretty Woman? It’s where Julia Roberts goes back to one of the stores where the salesladies treated her badly and tells them that they made a big mistake. Big…HUGE! I always think of that line when I have big news to tell. And this is big news. Yes, I would even go so far as to say huge news. It’s something I’ve been sitting on for a long time, since last January, and I am so excited to finally be able to share it with you. What could possibly have me so excited? Well, this little foodblogger is about to become a published cookbook author. Yes, you read that right. Some of my best low carb, gluten free recipes will see print, and sooner rather than later.

Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies

This cookbook doesn’t belong to just me. It is, in fact, a collaborative effort of five of the web’s best low carb, gluten free recipe developers and it is spear-headed by none other than Jennifer Eloff herself. If you are a low carber, I don’t doubt for a second that you’ve heard of Jennifer, as she is a leading low carb cookbook author and quite a presence in the low carb world. I was delighted when she asked me to be a part of this project, Low Carbing Among Friends, because if anyone knows how to publish a cookbook, it’s Jennifer.

Let me tell you a little about the cookbook itself, because I believe in this project wholeheartedly and it’s more than just a collection of recipes. Low Carbing Among Friends is a unique book in that every recipe is both low carb AND gluten free. Although I am not fully gluten free myself, gluten is quickly becoming recognized as contributing to a whole host of health issues, not just celiac disease. I believe that more and more people will turn to a gluten free lifestyle in an effort to regain health and energy. And whether you choose a low carb lifestyle for health reasons, such as I do, or for weight loss, cutting out or reducing gluten-based products in your diet can only help. I know there are plenty of low carb cookbooks out there and plenty of gluten free as well, but this book may be among the first that is both low carb and gluten free.

Peanut Crusted Chicken Strips with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce

In addition to over 300+ recipes, Low Carbing Among Friends also contains expert advice from some of the leading medical and low carb authorities in the world. Two of the low carb world’s key players, Dana Carpender of Hold The Toast and Jimmy Moore of Living La Vida Low Carb, will be contributing their two cents in this book. Our medical experts include Dr. Briffa (Waist Disposal), Dr. Eenfeldt (Diet Doctor), Dr. Parker (The Low Carb Mediterranean Diet), Dr. Su (Carbohydrates Can Kill). Through their own research and practice, each of these doctor has independently come to the conclusion that low carb, gluten free eating is critical for both health and weight loss. So I think the timing of our book, Low Carbing Among Friends, couldn’t be more spot on.

This book is also unique in that it is made up of 5 “mini” cookbooks, each authored by a different low carb recipe developer. So you will get the benefit of five different styles of cooking and baking, and I am quite certain that all of us has our own perspective to share. My fellow contributors include Jennifer Eloff (Splendid Low Carbing), Maria Emmerich (Maria’s Nutritious and Delicious Journal), Lisa Marshal (24/7 Low Carb Diner) and Kent Altena (Atkins Diet Geek). We’ve all had our own experiences with a low carb diet and with low carb, gluten free cooking, and I couldn’t be more proud to be a part of this group.

Raspberry Almond Coffee Cake

As for my own contribution to the book, I am very pleased with it. I worked double time over the winter and spring to create some wonderful recipes for my portion, while still being able to bring you recipes here. There are a few items from the blog that made it into the cookbook, like my Chilled Avocado Soup and my Frozen Raspberry Mousse Tart, but most of them are fresh and new. And, in my humble opinion, some of my best creations. I’ve pictured a few of them here.

The price of the book is a reasonable $19.99 USD, and we have a website, created by Jennifer’s son, up and running, AmongFriends.us. You can even pre-order the book and we are expecting the first printing to sell out fast (as of last night, there were already quite a few pre-orders and we hadn’t even announced it publicly yet!). This is just such an exciting project to be a part of. I hope you will do me the favour of heading over to our site and checking it out.

Pecan Turtle Bars

And even if you are not a low carber yourself, consider this book for your family and friends who are. The low carb lifestyle is back with a vengeance, as many people are beginning to recognize it as one of the healthiest ways of eating. Diabetics like myself, whose health can depend on it, can always use more ideas for meals, snacks and treats, especially in a world full of tempting carby and gluten-filled foods. Celiacs will also appreciate the many recipes and the expert advice in this book. I really believe that with all the wonderful contributors, Low Carbing Among Friends will be a must-have cookbook for the low carb, gluten free lifestyle. Please help me spread the word.

AmongFriends.us

Comments

1. Curry and Comfort says

Wow!! That is really fantastic news. Congratulations to you!! :)

PS… I also love that line from Pretty Woman :)

2. Megan says

I am thrilled for you! How awesome is that! I just love it when good things happen to those who deserve it. Wow! What great news indeed! Xoxo – megan

3. Lizzy says

HOORAY!!!!!! I am not a bit surprised, Carolyn! Such fabulous and exciting news. I already have a friend in mind to gift your cookbook to…I know it will be a wonderful reference for so many people. xoxo

4. Jeanette says

Wow, that is awesome – congratulations! Such a unique idea, I'm sure you all will reach your target audience and more.

5. The Mom Chef says

Bravo! This couldn't happen to a more deserving woman. Your skill and ability to turn a carb and gluten loaded dish into something decadent and delicious for the those who can't handle either is nothing short of phenomenal.

Pretty Woman….I wanted her hair so badly.

6. Terra says

Ok first, totally love that part of Pretty Woman!!! One of my favorite movies:-) Second…SQUEEEE!!!! Oh my gosh I am so excited for you:-) I am so interested in buying that gorgeous book too. I keep thinking I need to have a more gluten free diet, may help with how I feel everyday:-) Thank you for all your amazing recipes. You so deserve this moment, you are fantastic! Congrats, Hugs, Terra

7. Becky says

Congratulations on your new venture!
    You have such wonderful recipes and adaptations for low carb/gluten free individuals. Now we can get them in a cookbook, wonderful!

8. Karen says

Holy smokes! Congratulations!!! What great exciting news…your creations deserve to be in print!
    I'm going to attempt to "Stumble" this news, although I'm still learning, so hopefully I do it right!!! :)

9. SweetSugarBelle says

You made me laugh out loud with the BIG-HUGE thing. One of my favorite movie moments! And CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

10. Cassie//Bake Your Day says

This is great news! I enjoy Jennifer's blog too. Congratulations! Ps – I love that part of Pretty Woman too. I quote that movie all the time!

11. Jennifer says

Carolyn, not only are you beautiful, inside and out, a wonderful mum and wife, good friend, a fantastic recipe creator, amazing food stylist and photographer and blogger – your ability to write comes straight through the blood line from your mother! Loved your post! Thank you for your kind words. (((HUGS))) and Congratulations to you and to us all – blog friends included, without whom we would not have felt so inspired!

12. Gina says

Congrats my dear, that is just awesome. Can't wait to see the book.. I sure any of your contributions will be amazing.
    -Gina-

13. FamilySpice says

Congratulations, Carolyn! That's terrific news! I love seeing food bloggers succeed into the cookbook world. WOOT!

14. RavieNomNoms says

HOW AMAZING FOR YOU!!! I am so excited! You should have seen me when I read it, I almost jumped out of my seat! So excited for you Carolyn, how very well deserved that is!

15. Cara says

Congratulations, Carolyn! That's so exciting! I am very excited to check out this book, because I know what you mean, the gf doesn't always mean low carb. Keep us posted dear!

16. Alice says

This is HUGE news!! Sincerest congratulations and I cannot wait to get my copy of this fabulous book!!

I so love your blog and recipes, and those of your co-authoress'. What an absolute treasure this will be.

Thank you!!!

Alice

17. Toni Dash says

Carolyn! I'm SO happy for you! You are so talented and deserve this. You facilitate such an important eating niche being able to enjoy beautiful and delicious foods. And next time I need a girlfriend to confide in, I'm calling you; way to keep a secret! Toni

18. Sandra says

Oh wowww..what a wonderful news, Carolyn! I am so happy for you and you deserved it above all people! Congrats!!!!!!:)

19. Dee at Deelicious Sweets says

Awesome news!! I am so happy for you! I always think of that exact line when I say that myself! Big, HUGE! LOL! Way to go :)

20. Kristina @ spabettie says

CONGRATULATIONS!

this IS big news, BIG! 😉

I don't know how you were able to keep it secret for almost a year, you're GOOD!

21. Claire @ The Realistic Nutritionist says

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATS!!!!!!!! I can't wait to pick up a copy!!

22. Parsley Sage says

WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! *SPINS, JUMPS, RUNS AROUND THE OFFICE FLAILING ARMS AND SCREAMING 'AWESOME'*

That is fantastic news! I cannot WAIT to see the published product :)

WELL DONE!

23. Divya Yadava says

Congratulations, Carolyn! That's huge news. I'm so happy for you – you truly deserve this, especially with all the hard work you put into your recipes.

24. Foodiva says

Congratulations, Carolyn! You certainly have found a niche here that needs to be filled. This is truly huge news….HUGE! I'm so happy and proud of you ;-).

25. Nami | Just One Cookbook says

Yaaayy!! Congratulations Carolyn! That's a great news indeed! I'm really, really happy for you! Keep us posted about the book!

26. Lindsey says

I just watched Pretty Woman the other night, and I simply could not turn the channel until I heard that exact line — love it!

Congrats Carolyn! I'm very excited for you, and I can't wait to check out the book!

Lindsey

27. Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family says

Carolyn that is wonderful. As I read the title of the post I was thinking Julia Roberts and her scene in the store…such a classic movie.
    I cannot wait to head over to your website and check it out. This is really very wonderful for you.

28. Jacqueline - The Dusty Baker says

Congratulations! That is very exciting news! And as soon as I saw the headline of that post my mind DIRECTLY went to Pretty Woman :)

29. Tiffany says

SCREAMING OUT LOUD! wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! I am so excited for you! HUGS!!!!

30. Jen at The Three Little Piglets says

I know I'm a little slow here, but congratulations!!!! That is so exciting!!! I'm off to go check it out now…

31. Foodness Gracious says

Congrats Carolyn, you deserve the kudos, you work hard and your blog and its features are always first class!!!
    Take care….;)

32. The Souper says

Carolyn, just catching up here with news from my foodie friends and what a nice surprise to hear your fantastic news! Congrats on being part of the low carb, gluten-free cookbook project.
    You are an inspiration for home cooks and bakers.

The Souper