Triple Chocolate Peppermint Biscotti – Low Carb and Gluten-Free

Low carb chocolate biscotti with a touch of peppermint for a festive holiday treat. Perfect for giving to friends and family. Or for keeping all to yourself. I did!

Low Carb Chocolate Peppermint Biscotti

It’s not the holidays without some sort of chocolate peppermint treat. Okay, so you can actually HAVE the holidays without chocolate peppermint, but they’re not the same. I don’t care if it’s in liquid or solid form, you must really have these two flavours together. They are classic and they are delicious.

So for my part in keeping the holidays festive and bright, I decided to whip up a batch of low carb Chocolate Peppermint Biscotti. My original intention was to sprinkle them with crushed, sugar-free peppermint candies for a truly festive look. But I couldn’t find any at my local grocery store and I was far too impatient to get these biscotti made, photographed and into my mouth. Besides, those “sugar-free” candies are typical made with maltitol or sorbitol, which are almost as bad as real sugar on a poor diabetic’s blood glucose. I would have used them in small enough quantities that the overall carb count would be okay, but I figured that I was better off without them.

Low Carb Gluten-Free Chocolate Peppermint Biscotti

Cocoa butter to the rescue! I needed something to jazz up the biscotti so I made peppermint “white chocolate”, aka cocoa butter, sweetener and some peppermint extract. A drizzle of that over each biscotti and now we’re looking a little more festive. Besides, this way I could call them “Triple Chocolate Peppermint Biscotti”, as they contain cocoa powder, melted dark chocolate and white chocolate drizzle.

Hope you love them as much I do (did, because they are all gone now). Dip them in your coffee for a festive low carb start to your day!

Please check out my Triple Chocolate Peppermint Biscotti on A Sweet Life Diabetes Magazine.

Low Carb Triple Chocolate Peppermint Biscotti

Comments

1. Heather from Canada says

Hi, just wondering ig peppermint oil is stronger tasting than extract? I have a feeling a drop or two would be more than sufficient… any thoughts? Thanks!

• Carolyn says

Excellent question! I bet it is stronger, essential oils typically are. Go with a drop or two and if you find the biscotti don’t have enough, you can amp up the oil a bit in the coating and the drizzle.

2. says

These are gorgeous – and I have really missed biscotti since going low carb! I have been working on a peppermint and white chocolate truffle using raw white cacao for the first time. Getting the right consistency is tricky but I think I’m almost there! Your drizzle looks great and is the perfect contrast to the dark cookie! I love those candy cane striped napkins too – super cute!!!

3. Pieter says

Looks very nice, i did have some questions though:

Is the coconut oil interchangeable with butter?
    And is this one of the recipes in which almound flour is interchangeable with ground almond (as described in your post about almond flour)

• Carolyn says

Yes, butter would be fine. Almond meal isn’t idea but you can do it…you may want to add another 1/4 tsp xanthan gum and cut them very carefully.

4. Lisa says

Carolyn, I know that it is well past the holidays, but I’m just getting around to putting comments on all the recipes of yours that I’ve tried. I made these for a cookie exchange and they were a huge hit with all of the Moms and kids. This was the most requested recipe of the day.
    The only change I made was to skip the white chocolate and add crushed no-sugar peppermints on the top.

5. Judy says

I made your cinnamon roll biscotti with great success, but I can’t get the peppermint biscotti to dry out. Has anyone else had this problem? I have even baked it longer. This is one of my favorite flavor combinations, so I really want it to work (get crunchy).

• Carolyn says

Hmmm, not sure what’s going on there. No one else seems to have had that particular issue. I guess I would have to say that if you make it again, use less butter? That’s all I can think of in this case.

• Judy says

Carolyn, I just realized something. The Cinnamon Roll Biscotti calls for butter and the Chocolate Peppermint Biscotti calls for coconut oil. I wonder if that is the difference? Maybe I should use butter instead of coconut oil.

• Carolyn says

Perhaps! I didn’t look back at this recipe when guiding you, so maybe the butter substitution would help. Again, no one else has indicated that they had this problem so I can’t be sure it’s not something else. What brand of almond flour did you use?