Pineapple Upside Down Cake – Low Carb and Gluten-Free

The classic Pineapple Upside Down Cake made over into a low carb, gluten-free treat. Keeping the pineapple to a minimum and using pineapple extract helps you get all the flavor with fewer carbs.

Low Carb Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe

I have many of blogger friends who are pet-owners, and their pets seem to be perpetually photo-bombing their food photography. They will post a photo on Facebook or Instagram in which the curious and hungry nose of a dog or a cat will have made its way into the shot, inching toward the delectable food and ruining the picture. And possibly ruining the food, if the blogger isn’t fast enough to catch the creature. Up until a few weeks ago, I thought I was immune to this issue. My cat, a large energetic male named Gryffin, has heretofore steered clear of my food creations and my photography set ups. He is a curious little monkey and pokes his face into many places where it doesn’t belong, but he seemed to observe my photography shenanigans with disdain.

Low Carb Gluten-Free Pineapple Upside Down Cake

However, he decided to get curious about this Low Carb Pineapple Upside Down Cake. I am sure it wasn’t the cake that interested him at all, being the carnivorous animal that he is. But the big wooden board I use as a backdrop seemed to capture his attention. Unbeknownst to me, he climbed right up on the table (a no-no in any circumstance) and proceeded to lean up against it from behind, sending it crashing down into the cake that I had just set up. I hadn’t even taken a single photo. Thankfully, I did manage to catch the board before it fell all the way down, but one side of my cake was smashed to bits. And I had no time to make another, as it photos and recipe were due to my editor the next day. I had to patch it back together and fake it as best I could.

I had a few moments of wanting to give him away. But then I had a bite of the cake and it was so good, I forgot to be mad.

Please check out my Pineapple Upside Down Cake on Live Better America.

Serves 12. Each serving has 10 g of carbs and 3 g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 7 g. ** Please note that Live Better America has to include the carbs in erythritol so their carb count is higher.

318 Calories; 28g Fat (67.6% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 20g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 76mg Cholesterol; 270mg Sodium.

Pineapple Upside Down Cake Low Carb Recipe

Smashed side of cake!

Comments

1. Jamie Rebecca says:

It’s official, I love you. I love everything you make but pineapple upside down cake is my favorite! my mom still makes me one for my birthday every year!!! I am so happy I could cry!

2. Looks delish! Thanks for the note about LBA counting erythritol. For a second, I was worried that this blog was going “moderate carb.”

3. Actually, we had a cat that climbed up on the table one night while we were out and ate THROUGH a plastic bag to get to the pound cake in it. She ate HALF the dang thing. I don’t know how she wasn’t sick. LOL

• Oh my goodness! My cat has eaten a piece of bread I left on the counter once. I don’t know why he ate it, as it was moldy and gross!

• Ashley G says:

Animals are strange sometimes. lol One of my current cats eats olives. BEGS me for them when I have them out.

4. This cake is fantastic! I seriously want this cake right now!

5. I’d do anything for a huge slice of this right now!! Love that it’s gluten free!

6. Carolyn,
    Have you ever used egg white protein powder instead of whey protein powder to do the same job in a recipe?

7. MagaretUK says:

Please let us have a picture of Gryffin! BTW the cake looks gorgeous.

8. I wish I had a slice right now! Love the use of pineapple extract!

9. Carolyn I love all your recipes. Did you know that Libby’s (canned) skinny fruits(no sugar added) has pineapple that is sweetened with Sucralose. It has 13 g Carbs with 1 carb Fiber. I am so glad I can eat it again once in awhile. I am going to make this cake right away. YUMMM

• Good to know. I personally like my pineapple completely unsweetened, as I think it’s great the way it is. But if you prefer the canned variety, that sounds like a great alternative.

10. Ok, it’s official. You’re my hero. This is a MAJOR favorite in my house, and I never thought it could be made low-carb! Carolyn, you’re a godsend.

11. Hi Carolyn,
    I want to make this for my sister’s birthday this weekend, so I don’t have time to order any pineapple extract online, and I don’t think it is sold anywhere around here. Do you think the cake will be flavorful enough with out it, or could you suggest another extract I could add for additional complementary flavor such as maybe Rum extract?

Thanks for your help,
    Margaret

• I think it will be plenty flavourful without it! Rum might be nice, but vanilla will be just fine.

• Margaret says:

Hi Carolyn,
      I was able to make this cake this weekend and it turned out delicious!! I didn’t have any pineapple extract, so I just substituted vanilla extract for it and I think it turned out very flavorful. The cake was super moist and came out of my springform pan perfectly, so the consistency is spot on. When I asked my sister if she was going to share the cake with the rest of her family, she said maybe she would all let them all share a bite from one piece, but that she was going to hoard the rest of it for herself, it was that good!!!

Thanks so much for creating this recipe and sharing it with all of us!!!
      Margaret

12. charlotte says:

Hi, this looks AMAZING!
    How would it taste without the stevia extract?

• You could easily up the other sweeteners in place of the stevia. About 1/2 cup of sugar equivalent to replace the stevia I used.

13. Carolyn, this pineapple upside down cake looks amazing! I’m sharing this on Facebook and Pinterest right away!

14. What could I have done wrong. My batter never became spreadable. It was dry and crumbly. Even added extra milk but the almond flour soaked it right up. Checked the recipe twice and didn’t miss anything. Tried to bake it any way but it never set. If I used coconut flour by mistake could that have done it

• Carolyn says:

What kind of almond flour did you use? That’s my starting guess, that you used almond meal (much more coarsely ground).

15. Scarlett says:

Hey Carolyn,

Could I completely sub the almond milk with liquefied pineapple? I don’t have the pineapple extract but would like more of a pineapple flavor in the actual cake. If not I’ll just add some pineapple chunks in the batter :)
    Thanks!

16. Scarlett says:

One more question! For the topping, do you use granulated or powdered erythritol?
    I am so excited to make (read: eat) this cake!!

• Granular.

• So I made the cake and it was a big hit! My family thought it was delicious :) The only thing was, I think using food-processed pineapple instead of almond milk messed with the texture and consistency of the cake. It was incredibly delicate and crumbled super easily. It fell apart when I tried to transfer it from the pan to the wire rack :( But it still tasted delicious! If anyone else wants to sub pineapple for almond milk, I suggest they use juice instead of just running pineapple through a food processor.

• Interesting! I can see that pineapple puree might mess with it a bit. You could also try a little xanthan gum next time. Maybe 1/2 tsp?