Low carb almond flavoured coffee cake with a ribbon of cream cheese and studded with fresh raspberries. A perfect addition to your Mother’s Day brunch.
I am in a berry state of mind. Despite the fact that we’ve fallen back into chillier temps in New England and have had an excessive amount of rain, I have my sights set hard and fast on the approaching berry season. Or seasons, rather, since they all come in at slightly different times of the year. Berries make me happy and there is nothing like pick-your-own berries. We try to hit the farms at least 3 or 4 times in the summer, once for each of the big three (strawberries, raspberries and blueberries). And now that my kids are getting more adept at picking, we can bring home a LOT of berries. But they still don’t last very long because with 3 hungry kids, we eat a LOT of berries.
Those freshest of the fresh berries are a ways off yet, but I still have a hankering for lots of berry-flavoured treats. And so when I got mulling over coffee cake ideas for Mother’s Day, I just had to make something with berries. Plump juicy raspberries baked into a delicious almond coffee cake. With a ribbon of cream cheese running through the centre. How does that sound to you, my friends?
Sounds pretty good to me. And it tasted pretty great too! Watch the instructional video below…
This post original appeared on Live Better America, a site that is now defunct. I’ve had so many requests for the recipe, I decided I had to get it up on my site pronto. I guess everyone loves their coffee cake with cream cheese and raspberries. Can you blame them?
I have modified the sweetener amounts, as I prefer more a little more Swerve and a little less stevia. I have also changed the servings to 12 (instead of 16) to be more reflective of a good-sized portion. I had to stay within certain nutrient limits on their site (fats, calories, etc) but now am free to publish the recipe as I see fit.
Raspberry Almond Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
Low carb almond flour coffee cake with a ribbon of cream cheese and studded with fresh raspberries. This might just be my most popular coffee cake recipe!
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 6 tbsp butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated Swerve Sweetener
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 tsp liquid stevia extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated Swerve Sweetener
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp liquid stevia extract
- 1 1/2 cup fresh raspberries, rinsed and dried
- 2 tbsp sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 325F and grease a 9-inch square baking pan (you can also use an 8x8 pan, but you will need to bake the cake for longer).
- For the cake batter, combine almond flour, coconut flour and baking powder in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, beat butter with granulated sweetener until well combined. Beat in eggs, almond extract and stevia extract.
- Beat in half of almond flour mixture, then beat in almond milk. Beat in remaining almond flour mixture until combined. Scrape down sides of bowl and beaters as needed. Set aside while making the filling.
- For the filling, beat cream cheese with granulated sweetener until smooth. Beat in egg, vanilla extract and stevia extract until well combined.
- To assemble the cake, spread about two thirds of the batter in prepared baking pan, smoothing the top with a knife or an offset spatula.
- Pour cream cheese mixture over batter in pan and sprinkle with raspberries. Dot the remaining batter over the filling in small spoonfuls, allowing some of the filling to peek through. Sprinkle with sliced almonds.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until top is light golden brown and filling is just set. Remove and let cool completely, then transfer to refrigerator to chill for at least 1 hour.
- Keep refrigerated until served.
Serves 12. Each serving has 10.58 g of carbs and 5.14 g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 5.44 g.
Food energy: 277kcal Saturated fatty acids: 8.84g Total fat: 22.45g Calories from fat: 202 Cholesterol: 82mg Carbohydrate: 10.58g Total dietary fiber: 5.14g Protein: 8.09g Sodium: 235mg