Keto avocado popsicles! These fun and funky low carb popsicles are inspired by the psychedelic funk of California. This post is sponsored by California Avocados.
Okay kids, it’s time to get all funky and have some fun with your food. And these Psychedelic Avocado Berry Popsicles are here to inspire!
California Avocado Season is well under way. I may have mentioned it a few times? Because you know I am obsessed with those perfect avocados from the Golden State. They are remarkably…perfect. I honestly can’t think of a better word for it. I love them and I try to put them into everything. As proven by these fun and crazy avocado pops!
But there is a backstory here. See, we are celebrating not only avocados but the amazing and longstanding musical legacy of the state of California. And the California Avocado Commission challenged me to embrace my creativity and come up with a recipe that embodied one of the amazing musical genres to come out of Cali. They asked me to develop an avocado-based dessert that was inspired by the Psychedelic Funk of San Francisco.
This recipe is included in the California Avocado Summer Sound Track Cookbook! How fun is that?
This was a challenge on several levels. Most people forget that avocados are actually fruits, not vegetables, and they only ever use them in savory applications. But they are really really good in sweet applications too. I have several low carb avocado dessert recipes that I love, and many of you love them too. Such as my Dairy-Free Chocolate Avocado Frosting and my Keto Chocolate Avocado Ice Cream. But avocado doesn’t need to be hidden under chocolate to taste good in desserts and I wanted to show that off.
And I needed to get my funk on! I actually got to see the P-Funk Horns in concert once, way back in my 20’s. It was in a tiny little town in southwestern Colorado called Rico. It almost seemed like a ghost town when you drove through it, but it had a bar with a great live music scene that booked some phenomenal acts. George Clinton wasn’t part of that show but it was amazing nonetheless. It’s amazing how much the psychedelic funk movement inspired so many future artists.
How do you represent a whole music genre in one keto dessert recipe? What else could I do but combine that wonderful green of the avocados with some crazy pink berry swirls? They could have been purple swirls too…blackberries would be as delicious here as raspberries.
These were so fun to make and so fun to eat. The creamy avocado and coconut milk was great on its own but with that tart-sweet berry mixed in? It was totally psychedelic, man!
Want some more sweet avocado treats? Check out these fun recipes. Sub your favorite low carb sweeteners!
Chocolate Chunk Avocado Ice Cream Sub your favorite low carb sweetener!
Avocado Chocolate Chia Pudding (this one is keto!)
Avocado Berry Popsicles - Sugar-Free
- In a good blender or food processor, combine the avocados, coconut milk, sweetener, and vanilla extract. Blend until smooth. Remove about two thirds of the mixture to a bowl.
- Add the berries to the remaining mixture in blender and blend until smooth. If it’s too thick to blend, add another tablespoon or two of coconut milk.
- Drop small spoonfuls of each mix in an alternating pattern into 3 ounce popsicles molds. You will get between 8 and 10 popsicles. Tap the popsicle molds firmly on the counter to release as many air bubbles as possible.
- Press wooden popsicle sticks about 2/3 of the way into each popsicle. Freeze overnight.
- To unmold the popsicles, simply run hot water over the outside of the molds and tug gently on the stick until they release.