Like your graham crackers with peanut butter or with chocolate? It’s all here in these low carb chocolate-covered graham cracker and peanut butter sandwich cookies!
Graham crackers are the ultimate snack food. You might have thought it was potato chips or popcorn or some other sort of salty, crispy snack, but I will stick to my guns and say graham crackers trump all other snacks. They’re crisp, they’re portable, they aren’t overly sweet and kids love them. They’re also very comforting. When my nephew was one or two, he carried graham crackers around with him everywhere. I mean everywhere, one or two squares always in his hand, getting soggy and dirty as he played and ran and chased his friends. They even show up in a number of his baby and toddler photos and his mother came to believe they were a sort of security blanket for him. See? The ultimate, comforting snack food.
So for today’s Makeover Monday, we’re doing low carb, gluten-free graham crackers. Yes, graham crackers have been “done” on All Day I Dream About Food, but not like this. These are graham crackers like you’ve never seen them before. They are like graham crackers on crack. Crack crackers. With chocolate. And peanut butter. Aha, now I’ve got your attention!
I wanted to feature graham crackers again because I’ve improved my recipe. I’ve found that baking them at a higher temp and then drying them out a bit at a lower temp gives them that tender crisp quality that is so essential for a graham cracker. Also for a while now, I’ve been thinking of making chocolate-covered grahams for my kids. That’s all I was going to do, but then I thought how much I love graham crackers and peanut butter. That was my go-to pregnancy snack with my first two kids. It was with my third too, until I discovered I had gestational diabetes. Have you ever had it? Seriously delicious and the ultimate ultimate snack food!
So why not make little graham cracker peanut butter sandwiches and cover THOSE with chocolate? In a word: heavenly.
Chocolate-Covered Peanut Butter Graham Crackers – Low Carb and Gluten-Free
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 5 oz high % cacao chocolate chopped (use Lindt or Scharffen Berger for best results)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp vanilla or toffee-flavoured stevia optional, for added sweetness
- For the crackers, preheat oven to 300F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, sweetener, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. Stir in egg, melted butter, molasses and vanilla extract until dough comes together.
- Turn dough out onto a large piece of parchment paper and pat into a rough rectangle. Top with another piece of parchment. Roll out dough as evenly as possible to about 1/8 inch thickness.
- Remove top parchment and use a sharp knife or a pizza wheel to score into squares of desired size (small are easier to dip in chocolate so about 2x2 inches). Transfer the entire piece of parchment onto a baking sheet.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until just beginning to brown and firm up. Remove crackers and let cool 30 minutes, then break up along score marks. Lower oven temperature to 200F and return crackers to bake another 20 to 30 minutes, until crisp.
- Remove and let cool completely.
- For the filling, spread one cracker with about 1 tsp of peanut butter. Top with another cracker. Repeat with remaining crackers. Place crackers on a baking sheet and freeze at least 30 minutes.
- For the chocolate dip, melt chocolate with butter in small saucepan until smooth. Add flavoured stevia, if using.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or waxed paper.
- Using a fork, dip one peanut butter cracker at a time into chocolate, flipping to make sure it is completely covered. Lift out with fork and tap against the side of the pan to remove excess chocolate.
- Place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining crackers.
- Freeze crackers 20 minutes to set chocolate.