These buttery keto breadsticks are easy to make and absolutely mouthwatering. And they’re not made with fathead dough!
Perfect with your favorite keto comfort food like chicken enchilada soup or short rib chili.
Tender keto breadsticks dripping with buttery garlic parmesan… You don’t have to ask me twice!
These are so good that I may accidentally knock you over as I make a mad dash for the plate. And chances are good that I will fight you for the last one.
Keto breadsticks without mozzarella
I know many of you will be thrilled to know that this recipe is not made with fathead dough. Instead, I adapted my keto focaccia as the base for these savory breadsticks.
Fathead dough is wonderful stuff, but it’s tricky to get right. It also involves a lot of cheese, which many people find hard to digest.
My focaccia recipe, on the other hand, is easy to make, provides just the right bready quality, and can even be made entirely dairy-free.
- Almond flour
- Coconut flour
- Protein powder (whey or egg white)
- Olive oil (or melted butter)
- Baking powder
How to make keto breadsticks
- Prep the garlic butter. Simply melt the butter in the microwave or in a pot, then stir in minced garlic, grated Parmesan, fresh parsley, and some coarse salt.
- Line the pan with parchment paper. Parchment helps keep the breadsticks from sticking to the pan, while also allowing them to brown nicely on the bottom. I like to grease the parchment to ensure easy release.
- Prepare the dough. Whisk the dry ingredients first, then work in the oil, eggs, and egg whites. Then let it sit for a few minutes to firm up and absorb the liquids.
- Form into logs. The dough may be a bit sticky at this point, so use wet hands to form it into 12 small logs. You can do this directly on the greased parchment paper so that you don’t have to transfer them from another surface to the pan.
- Brush with half of the garlic butter.
- Bake until golden. They should be golden around the edges and just firm to the touch on the tops.
- Brush with the remaining garlic butter. Drippy, melty, garlicky butter, so good! If it firmed up while the keto breadsticks were baking, just warm it up to re-melt it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Easy! Simply use egg white protein powder in the bread, then use olive oil or avocado oil for the garlic butter. You could also try butter-flavoured coconut oil. You can either skip the Parmesan or use nutritional yeast or vegan cheese.
No, I do not recommend it. Gluten is a protein and in its absence, another dry protein helps baked goods rise properly. If you skip it, the breadsticks will be quite dense and less bread-like.
Please watch this video to see just how much of a difference protein powder makes: The Importance of Protein Powder
You can try using an additional ¾ cup of almond flour, but I can’t guarantee the results.
Almond flour gives the bread the correct consistency so I don’t recommend trying all coconut flour. Other seed flours like sunflower seed and pumpkin seed might work but they will give the breadsticks a greyish color. You are certainly welcome to try it!
If using sunflower seed flour, make sure to add a tablespoon or two of lemon juice or vinegar, to avoid the greenish reaction.
Store your keto breadsticks on the counter in a covered container for up to 5 days, or in the fridge for up to a week.
They can also be frozen after baking for up to two months.
Keto Breadsticks Recipe
- 3 tablespoon butter melted
- 2 cloves garlic pressed or finely minced
- ½ ounce grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- In a small bowl, whisk the butter with the garlic, Parmesan, parsley, and salt.
- Preheat the oven to 325F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Grease the parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut flour, protein powder, baking powder, salt, and garlic powder. Add the olive oil, eggs, and egg whites and mix until well combined. Let sit 5 minutes to firm up.
- Divide the dough into 12 even portions. Using wet hands, form each portion into a log about 1 inch wide and 4 inches long. Place on the prepared baking sheet 2 to 3 inches apart (they will spread a bit).
- Brush the sticks with half of the garlic butter mixture. Bake about 15 minutes, until the breadsticks are golden brown and just firm to the touch.
- Remove and let cool 10 minutes, then brush with the remaining garlic butter. Serve warm.