This Green Chili Dip is the perfect game day keto appetizer. It’s so creamy and flavorful, with added depth from sharp white cheddar. Don’t go tailgating without it! This post is sponsored by Cabot Creamery.
You need to promise me something. It’s very, very important. You need to promise me that you won’t ever, EVER watch a game of football without this warm Green Chili Dip nearby.
Your football-watching experience will be forever changed by this creamy, cheesy, flavorful appetizer. It will make the day brighter, the game more exciting, and enhance the overall experience tremendously.
Seriously, this dip is so good that even if your team loses, you will be happy. Or at least considerably less bummed!
Can a keto appetizer recipe truly do all of that? Well, let’s just say that I took this to a friend’s house one Sunday and it was the first thing to disappear from the food table. I’ve made it twice since then, simply for home consumption!
Why you need to try this recipe
I’ve been singing the praises of Cabot cheddar for over a decade on this blog. And it comes from a place of deep admiration for the values of the company. It is owned entirely by the farm families that make up the co-op, and has a strong commitment to sustainability and animal welfare.
But of course, their award-winning cheddar is a huge part of the draw. I maintain that it is some of the best I’ve ever had. And the Seriously Sharp is part of what makes this green chili dip so spectacular.
It’s a perfect match for the roasted Hatch green chiles. Look at New England and New Mexico coming together in one delicious dip!
This dip is super easy to make, too. It takes only about 10 minutes of prep time, and 25 minutes to bake. And then you’re enjoying warm, cheesy goodness.
My husband has made me swear that I keep him supplied with Cheesy Green Chile Dip for life! It certainly takes the edge off when his beloved team loses…
Ingredients you need
- Roasted chiles: They don’t need to be Hatch chiles but I do recommend them for flavor. These New Mexican chiles are well loved for a reason! You can also do more mild chiles and fewer hot ones, if you prefer.
- Cabot Cheddar: You’ve got some choices here. I love the Seriously Sharp in this recipe but you could also use one of their milder varieties like Vermont Sharp or even the mild cheddar. Monterey Jack would also be delicious.
- Cream cheese: Cream cheese helps give the dip some structure and body, for better scooping.
- Mayonnaise: Mayo lends a creamy texture, but you can also use sour cream.
- Garlic: Chiles and garlic are a classic combination.
- Cumin: Ground cumin complements all the other flavors, without overpowering them.
- Salt and pepper
Step by step directions
1. In a large bowl, combine the chiles, about three quarters of the cheddar cheese, the cream cheese, mayonnaise, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin. Stir until well mixed.
2. Pour the mixture into a glass or ceramic baking dish (1½ quart capacity or larger). Sprinkle the top with the remaining cheddar.
3. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until bubbly and melted. Turn on the broiler for a minute or two to brown the top nicely. Remove and let cool 15 minutes before serving.
Drain the chiles prior to mixing the dip together, to remove the excess liquid. This helps create a thicker, creamier dip.
You don’t have to use Hatch chiles, although they are pretty special. Any canned roasted green chiles will do. Purchase the diced variety so you can whip this delicious Green Chile Dip up quickly!
Frequently Asked Questions
The great part about this keto dip is that you can make it as spicy or mild as you like. Hatch chilies come in mild or hot and you can use all of one or the other, or a mix. Other roasted green chiles also come in mild and hot varieties.
To prepare this dip in advance, follow the recipe through Step 2, but don’t bake it. Then simply cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Store any leftovers in the fridge, tightly wrapped up, for up to 5 days. It re-heats really nicely so you can enjoy it for several days.
What to serve with Cheesy Green Chile Dip?
You don’t need corn chips to scoop up this delicious dip. Try these fun, low carb ideas:
Green Chili Dip Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl, combine the chilies, about ¾ of the cheddar cheese, the cream cheese, mayonnaise, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin. Stir until well mixed.
- Pour the mixture into a glass or ceramic baking dish (1½ quart capacity or larger). Sprinkle the top with the remaining cheddar.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until bubbly and melted. Turn on the broiler for a minute or two to brown the top nicely. Remove and let cool 15 minutes before serving.