This creamy keto banana pudding is a taste sensation! This easy low carb dessert gives the Southern classic a run for its money.
I have to admit, I never really considered banana pudding all that interesting. You know I am a chocolate lover through and through, so I often pass over other flavors, thinking they just won’t live up to the promise.
Until I got it in my head to make a keto-friendly banana pudding. And suddenly I understood the appeal: creamy and rich, with that unmistakable banana flavor. It’s a nice palate cleanser for this diehard chocolate lover!
This recipe for keto banana pudding serves only two people. And I am posting it today because I have a bit of an announcement to make:
Keto for Two Cookbook!
You read that right! After so many requests from readers, I’ve finally done it. Finally! T
I’ve been dropping hints about this here and there but I’ve been working on an e-cookbook with small batch keto recipes. This book is totally self-published, and will be available as a PDF. And all recipes make only 2 to 4 servings, perfect for singles and couples.
So if you’re doing keto alone, or it’s just you and your significant other, you’re going to love this book!
I plan to have the book up for sale early next week. And part of my motivation for this sneak peek recipe is to force myself to do the final edits and get it up and running!
Banana Pudding with mini keto cookies
Okay, so back to the recipe at hand, because I’ve become a believer. Banana pudding can be quite a delicious treat, and it’s really easy to make a keto-friendly version.
And if you’re missing the vanilla wafers that are often paired with this Southern classic, I cannot recommend the HighKey Mini Cookies enough. I used the snickerdoodle cookies. But you know what would also be tasty? Their new peanut butter mini cookies!
I do have an affiliate account with HighKey, meaning I earn some commission from sales. But I truly (truly!) love their products, as do my kids.
You can use DREAMABOUTHIGHKEY and get 15% off (1 per customer). Check out all the goodies they off here: HighKey Cookies
How to make Keto Banana Pudding
This is an easy no-bake recipe, and something you can whip up in 25 minutes. Don’t forget the chilling time, though! Pudding is best when chilled.
Here are my best tips for getting it right:
- Use a combination heavy whipping cream and some unsweetened almond or hemp milk for a thick and rich pudding. You could do all whipping cream but it’s adds calories and fat, and can make it overly rich.
- Whisk the sweetener right into the egg yolks. It will make them quite thick but they will thin out as you add the hot cream mixture.
- Only whisk in about half of the hot cream, slowly drizzling it in as you continue to whisk. This is a process called “tempering”, which allows the egg yolks to come up to temperature without cooking or curdling. Don’t skip this step, it’s extremely important!
- Once the cream and egg yolk mixture it well combined, you slowly whisk this back into the cream that’s remaining in the pan. And you continue to stay by it and whisk almost constantly, until it thickens up.
- Because this is just for two, it’s a very small amount and can thicken up suddenly. DO NOT WALK AWAY AT ANY TIME! The minute it thickens, remove it from heat.
- How do you know it’s thick enough? You will notice that your whisk begins to leave trails through the mixture – rather than moving through a liquid, it’s moving through something that’s more like custard.
- Once the pudding is off heat, add the butter and let it melt a few minutes. Then whisk in the butter, banana extract, and vanilla extract.
- Xanthan gum or glucomannan is required here for the correct consistency. Whisk it in quickly to avoid lumps. I like to whisk as I am sprinkling it over the surface.
Can you make keto banana pudding for more than two people?
You bet! You can easily double or even triple the recipe, although it will take a bit longer to cook.
More delicious keto pudding recipes
- Keto Chocolate Pudding
- Keto Sticky Toffee Pudding
- Keto Vanilla Pudding Pops
- Keto Lemon Pudding Cake
- Keto Rice Pudding
- Keto Peanut Butter Chocolate Pudding
Keto Banana Pudding
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the whipping cream and almond milk. Bring to just a simmer. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sweetener and salt until well combined.
- Slowly whisk about half of the hot cream mixture into the yolks, whisking continuously. Then slowly whisk the yolk/cream mixture back into the saucepan and cook until thickened, 4 to 5 more minutes, whisking continuously.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the butter and the extracts. Sprinkle the surface with xanthan gum or glucomannan and whisk vigorously to combine.
- Divide between two small dessert cups and refrigerate 1 hour. Top with lightly sweetened whipped cream, if desired.
- Add a few mini HighKey Snickerdoodle cookies and a slice of banana for presentation!