Creamy and rich, this Keto Peanut Butter Pie is completely dairy-free too! A low carb dessert for peanut butter lovers.
So you want to hear something a little crazy? I just created a totally vegan keto dessert by accident.
Yup, by accident. This Keto Peanut Butter Pie is dairy-free, egg-free, and completely free of any animal products. And I didn’t even mean to.
The reality is that I am not vegan in any way, shape or form. I believe eating animals is what humans are supposed to do. I believe it’s better for our health and our planet.
That said, I love playing around with my keto desserts and creating delicious treats for any number of allergies and intolerances. I have been making any number of dairy free treats lately and now have a full keto dairy free recipes category.
So I intended for this keto peanut butter pie to be dairy-free, and only later did I realize that it’s also vegan. But trust me, friends, whether you are dairy-free or not, this is a spectacular keto dessert!
Dairy Free Cream Cheese
Keto peanut butter pie is nothing new – it’s utterly ubiquitous in the keto world. Almost everyone has a recipe for it, and they tend to be slight variations on the same theme: a low carb chocolate crust filled with cheesecake based peanut butter filling.
I actually have the filling part already covered in my Easy Keto Peanut Butter Mousse. And it’s delicious and comes to together in 5 minutes flat.
But all that cream cheese and whipped cream can make things not so friendly for the dairy-free crowd.
One thing that inspired this dairy free version is stumbling upon a new vegan cream cheese alternative from Violife. It’s surprisingly good and probably tastes the most like real cream cheese of any I’ve tried. It’s made primarily with coconut oil, but also contains potato starch. Don’t be alarmed, as the total carb count per serving is only 2g.
Another good option is Kite Hill, an almond milk based cream cheese alternative. Those two are the best dairy-free versions I’ve had.
No Bake Vegan Peanut Butter Pie
With the cream cheese part of the recipe covered, I set about filling in the gaps for the other ingredients.
The crust was easy, as I simply used melted coconut oil to replace the melted butter. And instead of whipping cream in the filling, I used coconut cream and just a touch of coconut milk to help thin it out.
I created a little dairy free chocolate ganache with some additional coconut cream, and drizzled that over top of the chilled pie.
And to really take it over the top, I chopped up a few keto peanut butter cups for decoration. I used dark chocolate to keep with the dairy free theme. Either Lily’s or ChocZero would work well here.
It was so creamy and rich, and it was only as I was taking my first bite that I realized I had created a vegan keto dessert. I was amazed at how good it was, with no strange overpowering “fake cream cheese” flavor.
Tips for Keto Peanut Butter Pie
This is such a straightforward no bake pie, and it really doesn’t take much to put together. It takes less than 30 minutes to make, although you do need some patience to let it set properly!
Here are my best tips for getting the most out of your keto peanut butter pie:
- Grease your pie plate. Even though you won’t be baking the crust, it will make it easier to get the pie out later, after it’s chilled.
- The water in the crust is only if needed, to help it hold together better. This depends quite a bit on your cocoa powder, as some are more absorbent than others. You want the crust mixture to hold together well if you squeeze some in the palm of your hand.
- Make sure your vegan cream cheese and coconut cream are both room temperature, as they will combine more smoothly. Many recipes call for chilling a can of coconut milk overnight but don’t do that here. Your filling won’t be smooth.
- You can simply use the thick hard portion at the top of a can of coconut milk, but Let’s Do Organic also sells tins of “coconut cream” by itself. It still has a little of the thinner water at the bottom.
- Add just a bit of the thinner milk/water to help thin out the filling, making it lighter and fluffier. It should feel like a mousse when you are done and will firm up more in the fridge.
- For the chocolate ganache drizzle, do not put the chocolate in the microwave, as your ganache will seize. Chop the chocolate finely, and pour the hot coconut cream overtop to melt it.
- The peanut butter cup garnish is completely optional. It adds only about 0.5g net carbs per serving.
Storing and serving keto peanut butter pie
This is a keto dessert that needs to be kept cold at all times, so store in the fridge and serve cold.
Wrap the leftovers up tightly with plastic wrap. Since this has no eggs or dairy, it can be refrigerated for quite a while. Up to two weeks… if it can last that long!
It can also be frozen for several months, tightly wrapped. I recommend not putting on any topping until you are ready to serve.
Ready to make this delicious dairy free keto peanut butter pie?
More dairy-free keto desserts
- Keto Angel Food Cake
- Keto Strawberry Lemonade Popsicles
- Keto Almond Joy Bars
- Keto Coconut Flan
- Keto Peanut Butter Pecan Bars
- Keto Peppermint Patties
Keto Peanut Butter Pie
Peanut Butter Filling
- Lightly grease a 9-inch glass or ceramic pie plate.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, cocoa powder, and powdered sweetener. Stir in the melted coconut oil until the dough clumps together. If it won't hold together when you squeeze it in your hand, add a little water and mix well.
- Press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of the prepared baking pan, as evenly as possible. Freeze while preparing the filling.
Peanut Butter Filling
- In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese, coconut cream, and peanut butter until smooth. Beat in the sweetener and vanilla extract.
- Add the thinner coconut milk, 1 tbsp at a time, until the mixture is light and fluffy, like mousse. Spread the mixture in the crust.
- Freeze until firm, 3 to 4 hours.
- Place the chopped chocolate in a small bowl. Heat the coconut cream in a saucepan or in the microwave until bubbling, and pour over the chocolate.
- Let it a few minutes to melt, then add the sweetener and whisk until smooth. Drizzle over the chilled pie.
- Sprinkle with chopped peanut butter cups, if desired.