These easy keto crackers have a wonderful toasted sesame flavor. Perfect for pairing with cheese or any of your other favorite low carb toppings.
Sesame crackers have been one of my favourite snacks for about as long as I can remember. And not just as a snack. I’ve been known to make a full lunch out of crackers and cheese, and sometimes even dinner. It’s not something I do often anymore but these deliciously crisp keto sesame crackers are luring me back to my old ways.
Back in my pre-keto days, I had a particular fondness for sesame Bretons. They were hands down my favourite cracker. Light crispy rounds full of toasted sesame flavour, they were truly hard to beat. I essentially had a box of Bretons on the go at any given time. I would eat them with cheddar, I would eat them with harvarti, I would eat them with cream cheese, and they were smashing with my husband’s homemade Boursin. They were also pretty fantastic with a big smear of peanut butter, especially when you were hungry and needed quick energy.
I would eat them here or there, I would eat them anywhere. I would probably also eat them with green eggs and ham, given the right opportunity.
So it’s long been a goal to make a comparable low carb cracker, one that would be both light and crisp, but could stand up to being smeared with cheese or peanut butter. Although come to think of it, Bretons often crumbled and broke if you had to really smear them, but they were so good, so full of bold toasted sesame flavour, I didn’t care much. That’s the kind of keto cracker I wanted to make here. One you love to munch on its own as much as you love to pair it with toppings.
I also wanted to find a way to use some of that sesame flour that has been hanging around my freezer for a while. I bought it quite some time ago but this was really my first successful foray into baking with it. I tried to make low carb bread with it once that did not turn out well. It does have a strong sesame flavor, so it may not be right for all baked goods but it struck me as perfect for something that was supposed to taste like sesame.
Combined with some almond flour and some toasted sesame seeds and I was in keto cracker heaven!
Working with sesame flour:
- It’s very powdery and fine and absorbs a lot of moisture. In this sense, it’s rather similar to coconut flour. It’s been partially defatted as well.
- Because it’s so powdery and because of the strong sesame flavor, I recommend pairing it with a nut flour like almond flour. Otherwise it can have a strange mouthfeel and be rather overpowering.
- You need less of it than you would a nut flour. In my standard low carb cracker recipes, I use 2 cups of almond flour. Here I used 1 cup almond flour and ¼ cup sesame flour.
- These crackers didn’t take as long to crisp up as my basic almond flour crackers, perhaps due to less fat in the sesame flour. But they still needed to brown a bit longer.
Other Great Low Carb Cracker Recipes
Keto Sesame Crackers
These easy keto crackers have a wonderful toasted sesame flavor. Perfect for pairing with cheese or any of your other favorite low carb toppings.Print Pin Rate
Servings: 8 servings
- Preheat the oven to 300F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, sesame flour, sesame seeds, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the egg, oil, and water until the dough comes together.
- Gather the dough together into a ball and transfer to a large piece of parchment or a silicone baking mat. Top with another piece of parchment and roll out to about 12 inches by 12 inches, as even in thickness as possible.
- Use a sharp knife or a pizza cutter to score into squares or diamonds, about 2 inches by 2 inches each. Bake 30 to 40 minutes, until firm to the touch and the edges are golden brown.
- Remove and let cool completely, then break apart.
Keto Sesame Crackers
Amount Per Serving (4 crackers)
Calories 168 Calories from Fat 126
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.