Low carb Easter Candy! These keto chocolate eggs are filled with creamy coconut and an almond. What could be better than a healthy sugar-free Almond Joy? This post is sponsored by Lily’s Sweets.
Okay, hold on a sec. Just hold on a gosh darn minute. How is it possible that I am posting Easter recipes already? I am just barely getting the hang of this 2017 thing. Surely it’s only January still, right? I mean, the year just barely started. Although, mind you, after the dreary winter we’ve had, I am not exactly opposed to the calendar turning to April. Because then there is at least a little hope on the horizon that we might see the sun sometime in the nearish future. Although if you look at the forecast for my region, it’s not looking very hopeful. Hence my feeling that it must still actually be January or February.
Regardless, Easter is on the horizon and it’s time to get your plan together. No, I am not talking about plans for some elaborate Easter feast. I don’t care if you eat lamb or ham or some other traditional Easter feast. I don’t care if you even celebrate Easter. I just know you need to have a plan because that Easter candy can be mighty tasty and tempting. In fact, if you don’t celebrate Easter, consider yourself lucky because your house won’t be filled with chocolate eggs and other colourful candy. Really, it is remarkable how we seem to center every holiday around candy, isn’t it?
While I am no longer particularly tempted by my children’s holiday candy, I still love using it as an excuse to make my own. Really, I make it my mission to come up with a healthy low carb version of any holiday treat you can think of. I figure I will never run out of keto recipe ideas that way. To be honest, I will never run out of recipes ideas as it is. I dream about food all day, dontcha know?
So today’s offering: Keto Almond Joy Eggs. YAS, my friends! And if you prefer Mounds to Almond Joy, you can make those instead. And if you prefer milk chocolate to dark, you can do that too. As always, I used Lily’s Chocolate for my coating, because it’s my favorite sugar-free chocolate. I tried it with both the milk and the dark and while I preferred the dark eggs, both were delicious. Because Lily’s chocolate can melt rather thickly, I thinned it out with a bit of cocoa butter. I do declare these to be a wonderful treat for warding off the Easter candy temptation!
For more delicious Keto Easter Candy ideas, check out these posts:
Almond Joy Eggs (hilariously, Taryn and I both came up with the same idea. I never saw hers when I created mine and then I literally saw them 5 days afterward).
Almond Joy Easter Eggs
Low carb Easter Candy! These keto chocolate eggs are filled with creamy coconut and an almond. What could be better than a healthy sugar-free Almond Joy?
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or waxed paper.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring the cream to a simmer and cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in sweetener and almond extract.
- Stir in the shredded coconut. Let mixture cool 5 to 10 minutes to thicken.
- Scoop out onto the prepared baking sheet, making 12 even mounds. Using your spoon, shape the mounds into ovals or egg shapes. Place on almond on top of each, pressing lightly to adhere.
- Freeze until firm, about 2 hours.
- In a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water, melt chocolate and cocoa butter together until smooth.
- Dip the frozen mounds into the chocolate coating with a fork and tap fork firmly against the side of the bowl to remove excess chocolate. Place back on waxed paper and let set, 10 to 20 minutes.
Makes 12 egg. Each egg has 3.14g NET CARBS.
Food energy: 147kcal Total fat: 14.50g Calories from fat: 130 Cholesterol: 14mg Carbohydrate: 6.04g Total dietary fiber: 2.90g Protein: 1.48g Erythritol: 8g
Many thanks to Lily’s Sweets for partnering with me to bring you this delicious low carb recipe.