Chile Relleno Chicken Soup just may be my most popular keto soup recipe EVER. Creamy and cheesy, and chockfull of roasted poblanos and tender chicken.
I no longer even attempt to fool myself that my best recipes ideas are all that original. I used to be suddenly struck by inspiration and would practically go running to the kitchen to make recipe so I could blow people’s minds with my brilliance. Then Pinterest came along and quickly disabused me of the notion that I had thought of something that no one else in the world had ever thought of. Because I can quite literally make an original recipe, and head on over to Pinterest, only to see that someone else has had the very same idea. Often theirs is the high carb version and the execution is very different, but the idea is dead on. Turns out that the Muse of Food Blogging likes visit many of us with the same flashes of inspiration, and often around the same time. It’s kind of scary, how a fellow food blogger can be in your head like that.
This recipe idea, however, was not an original for me. But I recognize brilliance when I see it and when I saw it in the cheesy goodness of this Chile Relleno Soup from House of Yumm. Since I love cheese and I love poblano peppers, I knew this one was ripe for a low carb makeover. I almost instantly got to work revamping it. Among other changes, I added chicken for a more hearty meal, left out the flour (obviously), and used a brick of cream cheese to help thicken it. And it was velvety and cheesy and a wonderful low carb comfort dish. So I took some photos and scheduled it for the blog.
And then two days ago, I spotted the high carb version posted in a low carb group on Facebook with a plea for a makeover. And my friend Sooze from Fluffy Chix Cook was all excited about the idea of revamping it. I just had to laugh, and say “Um, you’re not going to believe this but…”.
So here we are. Nothing is ever truly original, not even our most original ideas. But original or not, this recipe is a keeper. A guaranteed hit with the whole family.
Keto Chile Relleno Chicken Soup
- 4 medium poblano peppers
- 2 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups chicken bone broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ½ lb boneless skinless chicken (thighs or breasts) cut into ½ inch pieces
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 slices cheddar or pepper jack cheese (thin sandwich slices, ¾ ounce each)
- Roast the poblano peppers until the skin is charred and blistered. You can do this over the open flame on a gas stove, or by heating your broiler to high and placing poblanos within a few inches of the broiler (turning to get all sides charred).
- Place the peppers in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let cool, then rub the skin to remove as much as possible. Cut out the seeds and then place in a food processor or blender to finely chop. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, and poblanos and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the chicken broth and season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Add the chicken pieces and continue to cook until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese and the cheddar to the same blend or processor in which you chopped the poblanos. Add about 1 cup of the hot broth from the soup (avoid getting any of the chicken in there). Blend until smooth and then stir back into the soup.
- To serve: Preheat the broiler. Dish the soup into individual ovenproof bowl and float a slice of cheese on top. Set under the broiler, about 6 inches from the heat and broil until the cheese is melted and bubbly.