These low carb chocolate chip meringues have the perfect crispy chewy texture. A delicious keto cookie recipe, perfect for bringing to a surprise baby shower!
One of the things I truly love about blogging are all the people I meet. Or rather, don’t meet but “meet” online and become friends with and never question that we really are friends. Sometimes I do actually meet these people and they are just as delightful in person and I realize that “online friends” are no different than “real life friends”. A few of these friends I’ve known since my early blogging days, when we were all stumbling around trying to figure out this weird business and only had each other to turn to. Sometimes I can’t even remember where I “met” them, and it simply feels like I’ve known them forever. Angie from Big Bear’s Wife is one of those people.
Angie is one of those wonderful sweet people you just always like. She’s there, offering up encouragement to other bloggers, being kind, and caring. She’s a good Southern girl and it shows in her manners! And….drum roll please, she is
pregnant with just had her first child. Yes, quite literally as I was writing this blog post I got the email that her sweet little boy had been born, a wee bit ahead of schedule. And I had even written that he was unlikely to come on his actual due date…I am so smart! Her baby bear 6 pounds 13 oz & 19 inches long, and I hope she is enjoying these few early moments of motherhood.
And as good friends do when one is about to embark on the crazy journey that is motherhood, her blogger friends are surprising her with a Virtual Baby Shower (now a belated one, but whatever!). While we would all dearly love to gather in support in real life, that’s just not a possibility with this far-flung blogger crowd.
So instead, we all make a fun recipe we think would be appropriate for a baby shower and we all post it at the same time on the same day with a big CONGRATULATIONS! And we all link to each other so that Angie, when she is told about the surprise, can go from one blog to another to see what we made and how much we are thinking of her.
So without further ado…
I brought dessert, of course. Because I always bring dessert and because baby showers should have ridiculous amounts of dessert. But the dessert should also be finger food so we can all mill around talking to each other while we eat our ridiculous amounts of dessert.
And these low carb Double Chocolate Meringues are ideal for such an event. They are easy to make, light and airy, and of course, utterly delicious. They have a crispy shell but the center stays a bit soft and chewy, reminiscent of marshmallows. They come out of the oven on the soft side, but don’t be alarmed, they will crisp up as they cool. I adapted this recipe to be sugar-free from one these Chocolate Chip Clouds I found on SkinnyTaste. Thanks, Gina, for the inspiration!
Chocolate Chip Cloud Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 300F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large clean bowl, combine the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt. Beat with clean beaters until frothy.
- Slowly add the granular and powdered sweeteners until the egg whites hold stiff peaks (I find that the combo of the two helps whip the air bubbles into the egg whites without the grittiness of all granular).
- Sift the cocoa powder over the egg whites and gently fold in until combined and no streaks remain. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Drop by large spoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake 25 to 35 minutes, until the meringues feel dry to the touch but are still soft (they should not feel tacky).
- Remove and let cool completely on the pan before gently peeling from the parchment.